Archived Offered LOG TL position

Status
Not open for further replies.

antivibe

Salesfloor TL
I'm currently a salesfloor TL and I've been in role for roughly 4 months. My current flow TL just turned in her
notice on Friday. During the ETL meeting my STL and ETLs agreed that I would be a good fit for logistics. Towards the end of my shift my STL and ETL-HR asked me to think about it.

Would you guys recommend the move?

I'm single and in my early 20s and I feel like switching would kill my social life. We do unload at 4am and getting up at 2:30am does not sound appealing. I enjoy my current schedule and the flexibility.

What does a flow TL even do? What kind of perks go with it? What problems do you face?
What would the raise look like? I know I would get a bump from key carrying and from shift differential.

Anyone here moved from salesfloor to logistics? or vice versa?

You'll probably be looking at 2-3$ raise so you just have to decide if that's worth the crazy workload and extreme hours. If you do well it may also help set you up for a promotion quicker. Me personally, I would never, but if you can personally deal with it then go for it.

What do you mean by crazy workload?
I'm pretty knowledgeable about store operations but I never dug too deep into flow.

What are your future plans with Spot? Do you want to go further? Or is this just a space filler until you get on to what you want to do in life?

What do you mean by crazy workload?
I'm pretty knowledgeable about store operations but I never dug too deep into flow.
You do know that flow is responsible for unload and pushing truck correct? You do realize that means thousands upon thousands of items stocked each morning right?

What are your future plans with Spot? Do you want to go further? Or is this just a space filler until you get on to what you want to do in life?

I'm not exactly sure. I actually enjoy working retail and I would like to go to Sr.TL or ETL. At the moment I put my education on pause, so Sr.TL is the only thing achievable at Target. This was originally a "temporary" gig, but I actually ended up enjoying it.

You do know that flow is responsible for unload and pushing truck correct? You do realize that means thousands upon thousands of items stocked each morning right?

That basically sums up my knowledge of flow. My question is, how challenging is the position? I know everyone is different, so I expect different answers. Any input is appreciated.

take it. it can lead to other jobs outside of spot too, if you are good at it. You could ask the log tl who is leaving for feedback.

Anyone here moved from salesfloor to logistics? or vice versa?
I went from being a BR/Flow TM to a consumables TL and for me, the biggest issue was slowing down. In logistics, you have a lot of deadlines and a lot of times, speed is more important than pin point accuracy but it's quite different on the salesfloor. I often find myself leaving encaps without flipping the headers or printing signs because I'm so used to the stock and go mentality.

The scope of a logistics leader really depends on the size of the store and it's culture. I've worked in a rather small store where workcenters co-mingle and help each other out, POG/PC/IS would help push HBA on truck days and several of us on flow helped backstock after truck so it's possible that you might have to help with backroom things too. As a flow team member, I have also played a large role in staging transition so the backroom doesn't have to mess with it. And of course, you'll have to follow behind and clean up after your team. If payroll is tight, you may have to kick everyone up and push a couple flats or crush cages of cardboard by yourself; it all depends on your store.

I like to refer to June as the slippery slope of logistics. Depending on where you are and what times your schools end their summer breaks, you may already be neck deep in BTS transition (and if you don't hate it now, you will learn to hate back to school). Once BTS hits, your workload tends to be elevated with large trucks and big transition sets through New Years so be prepared to hit the ground running.

Now, believe you me, I didn't tell you this so you would turn down the offer; I just want you to know what you're getting into. I would totally jump at the chance to be a flow TL (it's actually been open at my store for a few months) but I opted to wait for the CTL spot because it's a better fit for me.

How often are your flow TLs recognized? My TLs got zero respect from other ETLs because they weren't visible. We were overnight so other ETLs didn't know what they did. For my store they were passed over for promotion every time. Only me and the STL fought for them.

Sr.TL isn't your cap at all Targets. Not all ETLs have a degree. If you're not ready to give up the social life then don't do it. Be prepared to work hard, get dirty, and assume a lot more responsibility. Flow is usually the biggest team.

Couple things....

You may get shift differential. You may not. My district no longer offers it to new tms and TLs. But the people who had it before were grandfathered in. Don't know how that would apply to you since you never worked those hours before. And if you did get it, it would only be until 8am. So half of your shift basically.

Key carrier is only $1. If I was leaving the salesfloor for logistics I would be asking for a additional raise on top of that.

Flow is a very transparent work center and the TLs don't get recognized a lot. No one cares until things are going badly, then everyone cares.

If you really enjoy managing a team, this is your position. All of the ETLS basically won't even get into your business as long as you are running a green work center. Yep the workload is heavy at times, there are deadlines and call outs are a bitch. But I truly found the most satisfaction in this position. I was able to really run a team and manage my end of the business. I was able to challenge myself to find out what was broken and how to fix it. You have to really be able to change directions at the drop of a hat due to call outs, surprise trucks, late trucks etc. The hours are nutty but once you get your body on a schedule you are fine. Some people go home and go right to sleep. Other just go to be really early every night. I took an hour nap each day and went to bed at 9. Not great for a social life but some of the people out and about at midnight are kind of scary sometimes.....

Now, believe you me, I didn't tell you this so you would turn down the offer; I just want you to know what you're getting into. I would totally jump at the chance to be a flow TL (it's actually been open at my store for a few months) but I opted to wait for the CTL spot because it's a better fit for me.
No worries, this is actually the kind of answer I was looking for. I don't want to blindly say yes without knowing what I'm getting into. Thank you for the detailed response.
How often are your flow TLs recognized? My TLs got zero respect from other ETLs because they weren't visible.
My current Flow TL gets zero recognition. In fact, most of the ETLs and STL bash on her, which I think is one of the main reasons for her departure. I'm not sure what they expected her to do with all the call offs, delayed trucks, and surprise trucks - magic? My STL is very picky and whatever impression you make within the ten minutes of meeting her basically determine her attitude towards you. I'm currently on my STLs good side and don't really worry about her making me miserable.

Thanks everyone! Keep the stories/answers coming! I'm still undecisive about this :confused:

I'm not sure what they expected her to do with all the call offs, delayed trucks, and surprise trucks - magic?

Sometimes only ETL-Logs/replens or someone who has led flow can understand this. We often fought the battles alone and were given expectations that required a miracle or a wizard.

Sometimes only ETL-Logs/replens or someone who has led flow can understand this. We often fought the battles alone and were given expectations that required a miracle or a wizard.

Yes, while you as a TL might work your a#% off in the logistics role you are actually very dependent on how well your flow team members work (call outs , slow/older workers, etc). Basically you are going to be judged on how well they do, as far as getting the truck unload done on time and everything stocked on time. If you can deal with that then go for it.

Update: I thought about it further and I talked to my STL. I said no, the schedule change would be a bit of a life changer.
I still might be shifted to a different area - we had an exodus of team leaders recently. Thank you everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back