Archived On raising the minimum wage, where only some stores are affected

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarZHAYnotTarGET

Former Salesfloor TM
I live nearby a large metropolitan area, which recently passed a law for the city (and that city only) to raise the minimum wage. Over the next 3 years, the minimum wage will rise by $2.50 (in increments).

For the stores in my district, about half of them are in this city, and half are not. The half that are in the city would be required to raise their pay for certain paygrades to meet the new minimum wage laws.

My question is, do people here think that Spot would raise the paygrades for all stores in the district? This is kind of tricky to predict (and also a bit tricky to explain).

My answer is that Spot will do the absolute minimum.
If they they can find a quick and dirty solution like raising everyone a couple of bucks they will do that but it will be run through the computers to find out what will cost them the absolute least.
The minimum wage changes across the country have been a headache for many companies who hate this kind of thing but what's kind of amusing is that many of the places that cried the sky would fall actually started doing more business after the increases.

They'll only raise wages if enough people quit or transfer to a store within the city and specifically cite wages as the reason why they're leaving. Target tries to have competitive wages, but they usually need a really good reason to do anything.

The increases will probably drive out a lot of talent in the stores affected. Spot is notorious for raising your wage only to the point where it is at the minimum. So for people who've been with Spot for 5+ years, they will now be on a level field with all the newbies fresh out of orientation.

The increases will probably drive out a lot of talent in the stores affected. Spot is notorious for raising your wage only to the point where it is at the minimum. So for people who've been with Spot for 5+ years, they will now be on a level field with all the newbies fresh out of orientation.
I've been with Spot for five years and yeah I'm pretty pissed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back