OPU orders with alcohol

So at our store we are going to offer alcohol for drive up.

How is this going to work because I believe our alcohol in the back is "On Hand".

I re-shopped a bottle of wine the other day and it said there were 19 in the back.

As to where those 19 are at I don't know because it is a vendor item.

Thoughts?

Liquor store typically has some pretty hidden storage spots. I would just check with the person who runs your liquor store. If it says there are 19 on hand then you should be able to find a few.

What do you mean by liquor store? All alcohol should be back stocked in an aisle near the rest of the grocery items. As far as I’m aware liquor is part of Food and Bev DRY-3. But you could always ask the ETL- Food and Beverage

What do you mean by liquor store? All alcohol should be back stocked in an aisle near the rest of the grocery items. As far as I’m aware liquor is part of Food and Bev DRY-3. But you could always ask the ETL- Food and Beverage
We have a liquor store at my store. Like it’s own mini store with its own storage room. Is your liquor just like part of your regular store?

We have a liquor store at my store. Like it’s own mini store with its own storage room. Is your liquor just like part of your regular store?
Yes it is just part of the normal grocery aisles, I don't understand why it would necessary to make it completely separate from the rest of dry market when it could easily be handled by a dry market TM since it only takes up one valley.

Yes it is just part of the normal grocery aisles, I don't understand why it would necessary to make it completely separate from the rest of dry market when it could easily be handled by a dry market TM since it only takes up one valley.
We have a pretty big liquor store and it does pretty well. Most newer targets have a mini liquor store inside the big store.

I wonder if that might be a state law that prevents it from being with the normal merchandise. Out of curiosity do grocery stores near you have a wine or alcohol aisle. California is pretty open with alcohol we have given away free wine samples with OPUs and often have prosecco bottles on check-lane end carps

So at our store we are going to offer alcohol for drive up.

How is this going to work because I believe our alcohol in the back is "On Hand".

I re-shopped a bottle of wine the other day and it said there were 19 in the back.

As to where those 19 are at I don't know because it is a vendor item.

Thoughts?

Check with your receiver and market TL about where particular vendors store there stuff in the back. Really, it's no different than looking for soda or snack vendor shit.

For the most part the OH should be correct as the receiver should be scanning the bottle or can for that particular order. Much better than ADSD where you just scan a piece of paper and call it good whether it’s right or not.

I wonder if that might be a state law that prevents it from being with the normal merchandise. Out of curiosity do grocery stores near you have a wine or alcohol aisle. California is pretty open with alcohol we have given away free wine samples with OPUs and often have prosecco bottles on check-lane end carps

At least in MN, grocery stores cannot sell liquor that contains anything more than 3.2% alcohol. So stores like Target, Hy-Vee, and Cub Foods have separate liquor stores attached to their buildings to sell the good stuff.

Indeed. California clearly isn't a state that requires liquor stores to be separate from (or at least have a separate entrance from) the rest of the store. Yes, it's dumb, but it's a thing in some states.

MN just came around to having liquor stores attached to grocery stores a few years ago, but they still have to have a separate entrance.

Our store only sells beer and wine.

The wine is on shelves that go up about ten feet.

Some of the beer is there also but I lot of it is in the back somewhere.

If you stay on your wine vendors it gets a lot easier for the fulfillment team to manage. Ours get one three foot shelf of back stock each. Despite the initial protests, it has turned out very well.

At least in MN, grocery stores cannot sell liquor that contains anything more than 3.2% alcohol. So stores like Target, Hy-Vee, and Cub Foods have separate liquor stores attached to their buildings to sell the good stuff.
What alcoholic beverages have an ABV of less than 3.2%?
Even budweiser and coors are something like 4% aren't they?

If you stay on your wine vendors it gets a lot easier for the fulfillment team to manage. Ours get one three foot shelf of back stock each. Despite the initial protests, it has turned out very well.
I wish our store did that. Our beer and wine vendors take up a space nine feet wide and all the way to the ceiling.

That doesn't even count the random crap they leave lay around on flat beds and/or three tiers.

What alcoholic beverages have an ABV of less than 3.2%?
Even budweiser and coors are something like 4% aren't they?

Whatever ones are sold inside grocery stores in MN. We are the last state to still have this antiquated rule. We refer to it as 3-2 beer/alcohol. It's been. Solid decade or more since I've been in the college-age demographic that would typically settle for this so I can't speak to what is actually still sold in the grocery stores now.

I know there used to be a few beers and some Mike's Hard Lemonade you could get. It wasn't a big selection for sure.

Whatever ones are sold inside grocery stores in MN. We are the last state to still have this antiquated rule. We refer to it as 3-2 beer/alcohol. It's been. Solid decade or more since I've been in the college-age demographic that would typically settle for this so I can't speak to what is actually still sold in the grocery stores now.

I know there used to be a few beers and some Mike's Hard Lemonade you could get. It wasn't a big selection for sure.
I looked online and even the lemonade and wine coolers are 4-5 percent. There's non-alcoholic stuff that's .5% or less.

A lot of the bigger beer companies make 3.2 beer specifically for states that require it be that low for grocery stores. Our laws just changed here, maybe last year, so now we get to have regular beer but no wine or liquor. Liquor laws are the dumbest things ever.

Honestly, I couldn't agree more with Fluttervale. From my perspective, you simply have to stay on your wine vendors. This way, it will honestly be much easier for your managers to supervise everything. But, you do you. By the way, why don't you sell gin in your shop as well? I mean, I guess not that many people like it, but sorry, I'm just too in love with it, lol. I even got myself a personalized gin decanter and some Copa balloon glasses from Gin Gifts - https://baliandboo.com/collections/gin-gifts. They're absolutely worth the money! I'm probably saying that because I'm a veritable gin fan, ha-ha!

Last edited:
Back