Archived Photo Lab HELP and cashiering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone!! So I was hired as a cashier about a month ago and I've been cashiers ever since. I have been able to get on average 8-12 REDcards every week and everything as gone smooth. The only thing that worries me/excites me is that on NEXT week schedule, under my position..it doesn't say "cashier," it says "photo." for the 5 days that week, 4 of them say "photo." I have not been trained to photo lab, I do know however that there is only one guy really experienced there. I just want to know whether most likely I will receive training...furthermore, is this a common thing? Giving a cashier that has been working for a month a photo position.

AND if so, I know this may be too much to ask, but what are the true basics in photo that I should know about?

Hi everyone!! So I was hired as a cashier about a month ago and I've been cashiers ever since. I have been able to get on average 8-12 REDcards every week and everything as gone smooth. The only thing that worries me/excites me is that on NEXT week schedule, under my position..it doesn't say "cashier," it says "photo." for the 5 days that week, 4 of them say "photo." I have not been trained to photo lab, I do know however that there is only one guy really experienced there. I just want to know whether most likely I will receive training...furthermore, is this a common thing? Giving a cashier that has been working for a month a photo position.

AND if so, I know this may be too much to ask, but what are the true basics in photo that I should know about?

Huh, I thought photo positions were hired through Kodak, not Target. That's how it is at our store at least, but they are encouraged to help at Guest Service. Could be an error, or you're getting training there for whatever reason.

Last edited:
Hour stashing: the practice of taking hrs from a little-staffed area to use for training or to supplement other workcenters.
Our store used to put training hrs under the names of former TMs so they could use them as needed/where needed.
Most common use was scheduling SFTMs as cashiers only to have them taken to the floor as soon as they came in. Their TLs always told us they'd be the FIRST to respond to back-up calls.
Yeh, if you like the sound of crickets....

Unrelated, but it came up while I was searching Kodak employees at Target.

http://www.targetportraits.com/

Who knew some stores have a portrait center...might be why some guest asked me where it was the other day. The TMs are hired by Lifetouch Portrait Studios.

Unrelated, but it came up while I was searching Kodak employees at Target.

http://www.targetportraits.com/

Who knew some stores have a portrait center...might be why some guest asked me where it was the other day. The TMs are hired by Lifetouch Portrait Studios.

Our catalina spits out coupons for the portrait studio, only problem is we don't have a portrait studio. Nearest is a good 10 miles away.

Being from SoCal I immediately thought of Catalina Island, interesting bit about the idea being conceived during a trip to the island.

Hard to clear up confusion without an actual question.

Kodak has nothing to do with the Photo Lab besides providing and occasionally servicing the machines. Photo is staffed by Target TMs on the Target payroll. At my store, Photo is just a couple of kiosks near the service desk and is so low volume that it doesn't even have its own TM -- the GSTM does all the orders and helps all the guests there.

As far as scheduling you under "Photo," it is possible you aren't actually going to be at Photo the entire duration of your shift, or even for any sizable portion of it. My store just uses Photo hours to schedule additional cashiers, since there is no Photo TM. I would check with your ETL-GE or ETL-HR.

Last edited:
Kodak has nothing to do with the Photo Lab besides providing and occasionally servicing the machines. Photo is staffed by Target TMs on the Target payroll. At my store, Photo is just a couple of kiosks near the service desk and is so low volume that it doesn't even have its own TM -- the GSTM does all the orders and helps all the guests there.

At my store, they're not hired by or work for Target. We have a Kodak employee whom works there from 10-9. It's next to Guest Service, but Guest Service doesn't handle the Photo Department. They only started doing that within the last year I believe. Must just be our area.

Hm, that's very odd to me, especially considering Photo is its own paygrade.

Yeah. We had a girl try and work for both Target and Kodak, because hey, it's in the same building. But Target kept hassling her about her availability now that she had a second job essentially I think, so she left Target, and now only works at Kodak. Having said all that, the Kodak employees are still expected to do small Target tasks when it;s slow, like sorting strays and Guest Service, and checking out guests. It's kinda weird.

I didn't know having Kodak people work in the stores was even a thing. I can't imagine photo even generating enough business to warrant that. I work in an A volume Super and we must only get like 10 photo orders a day. It'd be nice though, especially for the times when those stupid printers decide to crap out and glitch up and it takes hours of tinkering to fix...i can't count the times we've had to call the Kodak techs to come fix our photo equipment in just the last 6 months because those machines are frigging terrible.

How weird, I had no idea this was so unique. Now that I think of it though, I don't see Kodak employees in any other Targets in the area either. I wonder what's so special about my store.

How weird, I had no idea this was so unique. Now that I think of it though, I don't see Kodak employees in any other Targets in the area either. I wonder what's so special about my store.

Is your store a wet process or dry process lab? In simple terms, do you develop film?

Is your store a wet process or dry process lab? In simple terms, do you develop film?

No, we don't process film anymore. They stopped that about a year ago as well.

Having said all that, the Kodak employees are still expected to do small Target tasks when it;s slow, like sorting strays and Guest Service, and checking out guests. It's kinda weird.
that doesn't seem in good practice since they dont necessarily work for Target, they work for Kodak.... they shouldn't be handling anything that's Target's. Unless they're on the same pay roll as Target team members...

But anyways, as everyone said, you're still probably gonna be cashiering. There's practically little to nothing to do at photo lab. You get like one or two guests within like 2 hours.

Photo lab is merely there for guests convience (and our inconvenience) so I doubt you'll really be doing much there. The labs are actually so slow at the stores that have em I can't wait for then to take them away. They're nothing but a pain in the ass most of the time. And if you work in a IGS store where photo is in another area... The horror!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back