Archived Promoting to ETL from TM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AFgirl

Former HRTL
Hi, everyone,

I'm a sales floor TM that has been working for Target a little more than a year and a half, and I'm going to graduate from college in about two months.

Today, the ETL-HR asked me if I was interested in doing the internship and I said yes, so she went to go talk to the STL and he called me into his office to discuss my options.

The STL said that since I am graduating early there is no need to do an internship and he recommends that I apply as a campus recruit for ETL. He told me to think about it and then get back to him so he can set up interviews.

I really enjoy working at Target and can see myself as an ETL, but I don't want to get my hopes up because of some of the things I have heard about internal promotions in Target.

For reference, I am going to get my degree in psychology and I go to a respected university in my region. My store leadership has also promoted a handful of TMs straight to ETL over the past couple of years, so my district might be a little more likely to internally promote (but I'm not 100% sure on this).

Are there any current or former ETLs on this forum that were promoted in similar circumstances, that could possibly give some advice or insight on the hiring process?

PS. Sorry that this post is a bit long.

I'm not an ETL, but it sounds like you have a decent chance of getting an ETL position. Based on your district's recent history of promotions and the fact that your STL is willing to help you, I'd say go for it.

Spot has started to internally promote more TM/TL to ETL lately with Cornell taking over. Before him I would say little to no chance.

If they are talking about you applying as a campus recruit it sounds like they are somewhat serious.

Thanks for the insight! It makes me feel a lot more confident about my chances.

You can go for an intern job.

My STL said that if I want to work right out of college then it wouldn't be a good idea to go for intern, since it's during the summer and I'm graduating in January. I'm thinking it also probably wouldn't be allowed once I'm no longer a student. I'll keep that in mind though!

We have had a few members did school & intern gig, then became an etl after they had gotten their degree. It depends on your store, in your case.

I talked to my favorite ETL about it today and he gave me his blessing and advice, so I'm going to go for it. Now I just have to play the waiting game until the next time I work with my STL so I can let him know my decision.

Thank you to everyone who's given me advice so far! :)

if your stl allows it go for it! if not the internship is the best into etl tool. just make sure you don't tie your eggs in one stl/etl in general. target moves people around.

Thanks again, everyone!

Another question: My ETL said that sometimes the DTL offers a TL job to ETL candidates so they can gain more leadership experience first. How often does this happen, and are there things that I can do to make the DTL see me as ETL material right off the bat?

I'm assuming that it's one of those things that vary depending on the district... :rolleyes:

From what I heard TL -> ETL is almost harder than TM - > ETL. I'd try to avoid it.

I have heard this as well.

I usually run my work center whenever the TLs aren't there (and sometimes when they are there ;)), so I'm hoping I can use work examples in interviews to prove that I already have enough leadership experience to go straight to ETL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back