Archived Question about FMLA and ADA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I unfortunately suffer from Bipolar Disorder, and the past two days have been.... harrowing. I did call off of a shift yesterday that was 4:15-915, and I need to call off again today (1-915)

I had been doing well managing it without medication, unfortunately (as I hate taking medication) I ran out of steam. Just couldn't do it anymore without help, so I started taking medicine yesterday (9/28). It takes a number of days for it to get in your bloodstream and make a difference.

Bipolar is covered under the American with Disabilities act, and I couldn't function yesterday or today. I can't deal with people right now.

So the actual question is, do you think it would be okay to call out another day? I mean if they were to fire me I could sue them, so I would think they wouldn't fire me.

I like (to an extent) my job, I just need a day to get my shit together. I'm at the bottom of low.

Just talk to HR.
Explain what is going on.
Keep it simple.
You don't have to go into details.
Just that you have a medical condition that needs to be stabilized with medication and it will take a couple of days.
If they ask for a doctors note, provide it.
Don't be defensive, this is just a normal event that can be handled.
They should give you the accommodation you need to stabilize.

I'm sorry you are going through this.
My best wishes to you.
Hang in there.

Just talk to HR.
Explain what is going on.
Keep it simple.
You don't have to go into details.
Just that you have a medical condition that needs to be stabilized with medication and it will take a couple of days.
If they ask for a doctors note, provide it.
Don't be defensive, this is just a normal event that can be handled.
They should give you the accommodation you need to stabilize.

I'm sorry you are going through this.
My best wishes to you.
Hang in there.

I will, thank you.

You can't sue because you got fired for calling out. You'll need to get a note to prove your condition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back