Archived Questions about ETL Logistics and Group TL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

I'm currently employed as a TM at my local store, though away on LoA. I will be graduating this year from a reputable university with a decent grade point average (above a 3.0) and am interested in advancing my career at somewhere I am familiar with. Queue, Target. I plan to apply directly to the ETL position, skipping Senior. TL as I do not want to work for an hourly wage . Group Team Leader is also another route I am debating.

I had my sights set on ETL of Logistics because it's the closest position related to my field of study at the retail level. I sent my resume to my STL and HR, and asked about this specific position. He told me that Target very rarely hires fresh college grads for this position. He said I would be a good candidate for any other ETL but NOT logistics. I didn't want to press him further, so I decided to ask you guys to maybe shed some light on why this is?

So then my next best bet would be to work for Target distribution. I have some reservations about this because almost every distribution center is located in a tiny town.. and for good reason of course. I'd suck it up and work there anyway, if it was made worth my while. But another concern is that I have no idea about the structure of Target distribution center employment. The best I could make of it was that the Group Team Leader is an equivalent entry level position to a retail store ETL. Does anyone here know how Target Distribution management is ran and what I should be applying for?

My goal is to advance my career with specific regards to Operations Management, and possibly become a Senior Buyer or Supply Chain Manager as quickly as possible. My STL has a connection with a Target distribution manager up in DC and he wants to forward my resume to her, but I'd really like more info about Target Distribution before I make that move. Any advice in relation to these question or my goals would be great! Thanks in advance

Hey!
I was an intern-to-hire ETL. The Logistics and HR are both roles which require relatively high team scores in order to qualify for, and for this reason the roles are usually given to people with prior leadership experience. Logistics is usually only filled by ETL lateral transfers because it is a very difficult role to keep green scores in - you're basically the back-bone of the entire store.

I STRONGLY suggest you apply for the internship, you are still eligible to apply because you are technically still in school. You'll be able to have hands-on ETL experience and they're required to give you a job offer or turn down at the end of the 10 weeks. You basically go through your ETL interviews then are signed off as an ETL at the end after a sort of trial period. You can request a mentor within Logistics, which would give you a better shot further down the line in being placed into the role. Just know that going the store route, it'll take at least 1.5 years to get into a logistics role. You might even be a fit for ETL-Ops (instocks, presentation, plano, etc).

There is also an internship offered for distribution centers as a group leader. During your interview just specify your interest in the distribution segment. Group leaders are the equivalent of ETLs in the distribution setting, but I'm not too sure how the hierarchy works from there. I know they get to pick schedules based on seniority though, which is cool because they're basically open 24/7 so you have options.

Talk to your ETL-HR about being referred to your district's campus recruiter.

As nobiliscus said, ETL-Logistics is among the most challenging ETL positions. Noob ETLs usually start in GE or sales floor.

Though a SrTL at my store went straight to ETL-Log at another store, so who knows.

Screw the store. Go straight for the DC. Don't question it, I have no ulterior motive, I gain or lose nothing. Do not waste your time in a store, you will hate life and regret it.

SrTL's are essentially ETL's without degrees, so some of them have enough experience to be confidently placed into crazy roles like that.

Trust me though, you would NOT want to have Log as your first role. ETL's are usually placed into it before they become STL's, kind of like a test. If you can handle super crazy, you could easily handle crazy. :excited:

Thanks everybody, this is really good info! I had no idea about the ETL-Ops which I definitely plan to ask my HR about. There's an upcoming career fair and Target actively recruits at my campus. Hopefully I'll get an interview there, and if not I'll wait until I go home where I have somewhat of an advantage.

Yeah ETL-Log is one of those roles where if you do well, it's noticeable and if you do poorly, it's a thousand times more noticeable.

Thanks everybody, this is really good info! I had no idea about the ETL-Ops which I definitely plan to ask my HR about. There's an upcoming career fair and Target actively recruits at my campus. Hopefully I'll get an interview there, and if not I'll wait until I go home where I have somewhat of an advantage.

In my experience ETL-Ops is usually only given to experienced ETLs because its supposed to be a position that partners with troubled work centers to improve them.

I get the feeling that target only wants to start new college grads with a very basic ETL position. It's slightly annoying though understandable. I guess you just have to get your foot in the door.

In my experience ETL-Ops is usually only given to experienced ETLs because its supposed to be a position that partners with troubled work centers to improve them.

My experience is limited, as I've visited/helped stores that had an Ops, but never worked long-term in a store that had one. That being said, my impression also was that it's more of a hi-po/experienced ETL position, and certainly not common for an entry-level exec unless that exec already has extensive retail management experience. While I was with Target, I knew of at least two Ops->STL promotions in my/neighboring disctrict, for what it's worth.

It's looking more and more like I will be going the Distribution Center route, as I feel as though I'd be doing more meaningful work there based on what I've learned at school. Thanks everyone for steering me towards what I really want to do!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back