Recognized national holidays at Target: what about Martin Luther King and Juneteenth?

Target currently recognizes six national holidays: New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day.

Given the recent last-minute decision to recognize Juneteenth as a holiday a month ago, will Target be permanently adding Juneteenth to the list of "recognized national holidays"? What about Martin Luther King, Jr. Day?

There is an awkward aspect to adding "recognized" holidays: a very large percentage of Target TMs working in the stores DO NOT receive paid holidays, or only receive two of the six national holidays as paid. If more "recognized national holidays" are added, will this open up a flood of complaints from store hourly TMs complaining about the lack of holiday pay (claiming this practice is discriminatory)?

Who doesn't receive the holiday pay? Hourly TMs get time and a half while working on these holidays. There are states with laws that don't allow people to work on Thanksgiving and Christmas so people in those states miss out on that. If there is something more than the time and a half, I don't know about it.

Who doesn't receive the holiday pay? Hourly TMs get time and a half while working on these holidays. There are states with laws that don't allow people to work on Thanksgiving and Christmas so people in those states miss out on that. If there is something more than the time and a half, I don't know about it.

Holiday Pay is not the same as Holiday Premium Pay which is time and a half for working on a recognized holiday. Holiday Pay is receiving 8 hours of pay whether you work or not on the holiday. Thanksgiving & Christmas are holidays that eligible TMs are able to receive Holiday Pay and Holiday Premium Pay of they work on the holiday.

I have a question, as an ETL Extended Intern, I qualify for the 7 holiday pay even though I am hourly. If I was to work on those days where I get holiday pay, how would that work? Would I get the time and a half plus the holiday pay?

I just started working at Target and I work 4th of July but I do not reach 30 hours for the week . Would I still get time and a half for working during training on the holiday?

Back