Archived Second Job "Policy"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I was thinking about getting a second job soon but was told that I can't get a second job working at another retail place because its competition to target? I was under the impression we could get jobs almost anywhere besides walmart? Any one know the exact policy, if there is one?

Any company that directly competes with target. So Walmart, Bestbuy and other general merchandizers are a no go. Grocery stores are iffy, same with specialty boutique chains. Convenience stores are fine though, and anything beyond retail.

I seriously hope that's not the case. There is very little in this town besides retail. Plus, what if I had a family I needed to support? Does target just say tough you can only work for us? That doesn't seem to make sense to me??

When you work for a retailer, you're exposed to "trade secrets" like POGs, pricing details, and the like. When you go to work for a competitor, they now have your knowledge. That's the conflict of interest.

They figure it does affect you on the clock because your loyalty while you are on the clock should be to Target, but if you work at say, Kmart, you could either be stealing Target secrets for Kmart or promoting Target to guests when you should be promoting Target. I'm not saying it's right, but that's likely their reasoning.

It's a non-compete clause, but not as bad as one that some businesses try to enforce in other work sectors.

Yes a grocery store would be okay ( we have 2 that actually work at one) Toys R us would probably be a no go but I am thinking a bass pro shop or something like that would be okay since we really don't sell alot of sporting gear or fishing gear etc or a bookstore would be okay since we don't sell don't sell alot of books. You get the idea.......

I've had TMs who worked for Walmart too. I remember being told by my HRBP and other group executives that Target doesn't consider Walmart a competitor because they attract different demographics.

However TLs and above couldn't do it. My TMs worked for Kohls, Giant, Wegmans, Spencers, Verizon, Mobile, Sears, Staples, etc

It's a non-compete clause, but not as bad as one that some businesses try to enforce in other work sectors.

As long as they leave my county job alone, I'm ok. Target and Barnes & Noble are like apples and oranges, but Target and a public library are like apples and suspension bridges.

I worked at Toys R Us while working at Target and there was no backlash from either place - in fact, working at TRU actually benefited me during the holiday seasons because being as exposed to different toys as I was at TRU I was able to help guests even more and knew which toys they were talking about even off of vague descriptions, which even my STL appreciated. If you don't want others to know, then just don't advertise that you're working at another retailer , but also make sure that schedules don't conflict - I worked overnight at TRU and then came in to run my pricing team.

I would say as long your schedules don't conflict and you're physically able to do it, do it live! Do it live!

And who cares if it's a conflict of interest? Your survival is more important to you than Target's whatever is to them. But I have to agree with the previous poster, keep it to yourself. Don't go around telling other team members about it.

Some other retail stores won't hire you due to conflict of interest if they know you work at Target.

In my store the only place you can't work is Wal-Mart. We've had people work at Petsmart, Best Buy, full line grocery stores, discount grocers, closeout buyers, wholesale clubs, convenience stores, pharmacies, gas stations, govt jobs, active duty...we run the gamut!

But we've never had people working at Walmart and Target at the same time.

And your district can say what it wants, but Target considers Walmart a competitor. If they didn't, we wouldn't comp shop them.

Honestly this discussion also depends on your position and the state you're in. Oregon has a very strict definition of requirements for a no-compete policy and most team members would not be held accountable to it.

This makes me glad to be in CA.

non-compete clauses are automatically void here, except for a few very select cases where the law allows for them. retail isn't one of them.

This makes me glad to be in CA.

non-compete clauses are automatically void here, except for a few very select cases where the law allows for them. retail isn't one of them.
My last employer had me sign one. The only enforceable part of it was I couldn't open a business in direct competition with them for two years.

Two years have passed, and if I had the capital I WOULD go into business to compete with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back