Archived So I got coached for finding someone that could only cover half my shift...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was scheduled to close the BR from 3 - 11 last week. But I had something come up so I called a friend. He said he could work for me, but needed to leave at 7ish and would tell them when he went in. Well this week I finally got pulled aside but a SrTL (not mine) and was told next time I should either find someone that can work the whole shift or call out because it create more work for people when they have to leave in the middle of their shift.

I just okay. I was surprised that he'd rather have no one there instead of someone that can at least finished the cafs/price change. I would challenge it but it was such a stupid reply I can't see myself going though with it. Has this happened to anyone else?

My guess is their theory was that if you hadn't found anyone to cover the whole thing, you would have come in rather than called out.

You got coached because your shift is your responsibility. You didn't get it 100% covered. You also didn't inform somebody that this would be the case. You also had somebody else inform the LOD regarding the half-shift. If they had known in the morning or the day before, they might have been able to cover it.

You kinda dropped the ball here

Missing a whole late night backroom shift has quite the ripple effect some times. Basically the whole morning process is F'd if backstock isn't done, coolers aren't cleared, price change isn't pulled, and needed POGs aren't pulled. Could be why you got coached

You would think they would count their losses and think be thankful I got somebody to show up. No one ever comes in when their called, especially in the snow lol. I'll make sure to not find coverage and call out next time

You would think they would count their losses and think be thankful I got somebody to show up. No one ever comes in when their called, especially in the snow lol. I'll make sure to not find coverage and call out next time
Probably should've called them and let them know, it probably caught them off guard when your replacement left early.

You know me man, I'm the first one to jump on Spot but take a look at this from the other side.
What if one of the guys you were working with worked half an hour then went and took a nap for half an hour, came back only to do the damn thing for the entire day?
OK maybe you already have TM who do that, but essentially that's what you stuck you're coworkers with.
A half shift isn't always better than nothing.

Probably should've called them and let them know, it probably caught them off guard when your replacement left early.
Well he let them know and they said it was okay. I wasn't taken in the office or anything so I don't know if it was legit coaching but I was fully prepared to call out until my friend wanted to pick up hours. They even had to clock him in so I it was really a big deal, you'd figure they would just tell him to leave and call someone else in.

You still don't get it. Had you told them that you weren't going to make your shift, there would have been a better chance to cover your shift completely. Finding out a few hours before your buddy left at 7 that he was leaving at 7 made it way too late to do anything about the close. Yes, it would have been better had you called out.

I wouldn't have been able to call out until around the time my shift started anyway so it wouldn't be made a difference considering the only other BR closer was the guy that came in.

I was scheduled to close the BR from 3 - 11 last week. But I had something come up so I called a friend. He said he could work for me, but needed to leave at 7ish and would tell them when he went in.

I wouldn't have been able to call out until around the time my shift started anyway so it wouldn't be made a difference

Whenever it was that you called your friend - be it 5 minutes before, or 5 days before - was when you should have called the store to call out. That would have given them the opportunity to find full cover, or at least know before the shift began that it wasn't going to happen. By arranging the partial cover yourself and not telling them, you both failed to discharge your responsibility for the shift to be worked, and denied your employer the opportunity to do anything about it.

Even if the thing came up immediately before the shift started, you should have called the store, told them you couldn't come in, and recommended they call your friend. You are not HR.

Even if the thing came up immediately before the shift started, you should have called the store, told them you couldn't come in, and recommended they call your friend. You are not HR.
This^^^^^

That is how you could have avoided the coaching in your situation.

One coaching isn't a big deal unless you make it one. Just apologize, learn from it, and move on

Don't you have a swap shift board that needs authorized by an ETL? You can't just have someone show up for your shift. It needs authorized in advance. Then if an ETL oks it, you don't get in trouble for only filling half the shift.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back