Archived So what are the chances that Target starts staffing their stores again?

• Thread starter Anonymous
  • Start date
  • Replies 65
  • Views 10K
Status
Not open for further replies.
Give the stores enough hours to staff the front end appropriately and I'd be happy. I can always find work for cashiers if the lanes are slow.

Or just give the hours that are spent back up cashiering to the front end. In my mind it makes more sense to have an extra cashier or two who can go out to work on an understaffed sales floor when there are no lines than it is to understaff the lanes and then pull one or two people from an already understaffed floor all day. I'd rather have three or four people on the floor who don't have to cashier all but occasionally versus six or seven people scheduled on the floor who spend so much time rotating through back up calls that it basically amounts to having two or three people on the floor anyway. Don't get me started on when the GSTL, LOD, or the operator starts calling (or screeching) for help on the sales floor when every single tm and TL are on backup...facepalm.

Last edited:
Or just give the hours that are spent back up cashier to the front end. In my mind it makes more sense to have an extra cashier or two who can go out to work on an understaffed sales floor when there are no lines than it is to understaff the lanes and then pull one or two people from an already understaffed floor all day. I'd rather have three or four people on the floor who don't have to cashier all but occasionally versus six or seven people scheduled on the floor who spend so much time rotating through back up calls that it basically amounts to having two or three people on the floor anyway.

This was always our previous STL's mindset when she allocated hours before MyTime rolled out.

My point is that it is not about "competing" with online shopping. Target.com or a Target Store are both money for the company. It is about getting our Target guests in store to ALSO use Target.com! The online experience then needs to be even better than their in store experience, which will ultimately drive sales for the company still WHILE decreasing the risk of produce depreciation in stores (we do not need to carry as many eaches in store if the guest is buying them online).

Your expecting Target to spend money to improve it's online presence something they have neglected to save money to put into the P-fresh and Canada flops. That does not sound like what Target has become. Instead they will copy some other idea from somebody else or roll out some other poorly planned program that will be gone within a year. Target has always treated online as it's red headed step child. Amazon just seems to scare them into not even trying.

Haha well I said that is what they SHOULD do... That will probably be different than what they are GOING to do :)

Imagine if they had taken half the money they blew in the Canada mess and instead spent it on IT and R&D. Instead Target has a money loser on its hands. Add that to P-fresh which was suppose to ad 20% increase in sales across the board which never happened and you have to wonder what the next idea will be.

Too many of P-Fresh's items are better buys in the local markets when they have a sale on. And worst of all, Target is constantly dropping one item to introduce something else.

Families who do weekly food shopping need & want to find their particular favorite brands & when Target constantly drops items that don't sell well, people are forced back to their local market to get what they need. People don't want an "experience" when they go food shopping - they want to head to the store buy what they need & find their kids' favorite items & get home ASAP.

P-Fresh is too limited AND too inconstant to be a reliable source for groceries. It's ok as a fill in, that's all.

Walmart has the right idea to open stores that are TRUE grocery stores in size - that's the way to compete with local supermarkets.

Meanwhile, Target is spending so much time & money trying to keep P-Fresh viable - they are letting the rest of their departments suffer & are losing sales.

Your expecting Target to spend money to improve it's online presence something they have neglected to save money to put into the P-fresh and Canada flops. That does not sound like what Target has become. Instead they will copy some other idea from somebody else or roll out some other poorly planned program that will be gone within a year. Target has always treated online as it's red headed step child. Amazon just seems to scare them into not even trying.

Haha well I said that is what they SHOULD do... That will probably be different than what they are GOING to do :)

Imagine if they had taken half the money they blew in the Canada mess and instead spent it on IT and R&D. Instead Target has a money loser on its hands. Add that to P-fresh which was suppose to ad 20% increase in sales across the board which never happened and you have to wonder what the next idea will be.

Too many of P-Fresh's items are better buys in the local markets when they have a sale on. And worst of all, Target is constantly dropping one item to introduce something else.

Families who do weekly food shopping need & want to find their particular favorite brands & when Target constantly drops items that don't sell well, people are forced back to their local market to get what they need. People don't want an "experience" when they go food shopping - they want to head to the store buy what they need & find their kids' favorite items & get home ASAP.

P-Fresh is too limited AND too inconstant to be a reliable source for groceries. It's ok as a fill in, that's all.

Walmart has the right idea to open stores that are TRUE grocery stores in size - that's the way to compete with local supermarkets.

Meanwhile, Target is spending so much time & money trying to keep P-Fresh viable - they are letting the rest of their departments suffer & are losing sales.

I work in Pfresh and a PA and if you think Target invests too much into PFresh you are sorely, sorely mistaken...

I work in Pfresh and a PA and if you think Target invests too much into PFresh you are sorely, sorely mistaken...

Target only ever adequately supported PFresh for a short time after the remodel. They starting cutting hours pretty quickly. In recent months they have cut to the bone, even though Grocery, while not the most profitable, brings in shitloads more sales than any other department. Go figure.

When you do something in a half-asssed way, it's going to come back & haunt you.

I didn't say they shouldn't invest time & money in this department - I said they shouldn't ignore OTHER departments so they can have a 'mini-mart.' P-Fresh is too limited & other departments are quickly losing their appeal.

Target only ever adequately supported PFresh for a short time after the remodel. They starting cutting hours pretty quickly. In recent months they have cut to the bone, even though Grocery, while not the most profitable, brings in shitloads more sales than any other department. Go figure.

Sure grocery brings in money. Target needs to find ways to encourage sales in their other departments also.

You know I used to love working at target before out breach, and I feel like after it and I don't know if every target has the mytime system implemented yet, but between both, it sucks now. I work at Starbucks primarily, and on the sales floor secondary. When I finally get a mid shift at Starbucks the frontend, pricing, or sales floor will take my mid shift away during busy hours making me want to just quit my job. Target needs to schedule more people especially since we get a ton of Canadians during this time of year now.

Sure grocery brings in money. Target needs to find ways to encourage sales in their other departments also.
Ya it does bring in the Sales...thats why my zone is trashed every single day even after a really good zone :(

Grocery sales are a joke as far as margin are concerned. I wouldn't be surprised if the company was hemorrhaging cash over pfresh

no-meme-generator-never-ever-ever-5dbd30.jpg

Grocery sales are a joke as far as margin are concerned. I wouldn't be surprised if the company was hemorrhaging cash over pfresh

I hear this a lot about grocery, were margins are low but what about the sales that it drives by being a one stop destination for all your needs. Instead of someone going to a grocery store, they can just go to a Super T and get everything they need.

I like the Super T's with expanded groceries but I also think the smaller format Target Express will be great too.

That doesn't dispute my point. Groceries only purpose in general merchandise retailer is to bring in customers to buy high margin items. Why do you think chains like Kroger and Safeway are expanding their hba sections? I don't have a problem with pfresh, but I have to wonder if its something to be 'lauded' that pfresh makes up a huge chunk of sales. That's a crap load of low to no margin sales. It would be just as destructive as if we sold 100k worth of TVs a day.

Margin in grocery is historically small. Grocery stores are operating on a gross margin of 1-2% across most categories. Where you make the money in grocery is in volume. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that we have been losing money on the PFresh expansion even though sales are up. More than likely this is why there is such a big push for store brands in the ads, product placement, coupons, cartwheel, etc. more margin on private labels. I completely agree that Target needs to refocus on their core competencies; however, grocery isn't going anywhere so the proper attention needs to be given to food operations too.

I don't understand how stl and etl can interpret "TM not available " as : well they need to zone a 4 foot section and go up and down aisles to look for guest, do another couple of sections then go look again, and so on for an 7 to 8 hours.
Are you effing kidding me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back