Suggestions For Packaging Engineers

I primarily work in HBA and Beauty and sometimes as I’m zoning or stocking products, I come across a product that is so top heavy it can cause a a whole row to collapse like dominoes at the slightest touch.
I wonder why the person who designed the packaging didn’t consider how the product would “behave” on the selling floor.
What suggestions would you provide to the packaging engineer to make our jobs easier?

Don't have a suggestion for the packaging engineer, other than "design the package better." But I can offer you my solutions for this problem.
If the product is in one of the zone-free pusher things, I'll put 3 or 4 ahead of the pusher and then place a few others behind it. This seems to work well for tall, skinny things that don't line up well.
If the product is on a shelf with magnetic divider strips, I try to arrange the strips so the bottom of the product is all on the shelf between the strips or all on the strips. If one side is on the strip and the other isn't, things tend to tip over. A couple of places, I just take out the strips entirely because the product isn't that heavily stocked or purchased, so it's easy for me to maintain a good zone.
Last, if a product is supposed to have 4 facings but really only 3 fit well, then I do 3 and adjust the capacity count. No one comes in to buy 44 tubes of kids toothpaste. If only 33 will fit, that's plenty enough. There's more room for a jostle and they don't ALL tip over, just half of them. ;-)

Don't have a suggestion for the packaging engineer, other than "design the package better." But I can offer you my solutions for this problem.
If the product is in one of the zone-free pusher things, I'll put 3 or 4 ahead of the pusher and then place a few others behind it. This seems to work well for tall, skinny things that don't line up well.

Those pusher things can be a nightmare with disposable razors and things that are in a tube!

Back