• Thread starter bathtubblues
  • Start date
  • Replies 6
  • Views 1K
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bathtubblues

Hi guys! Just wondering if you've encountered issues with requesting time off and being scheduled outside of your availability.

A little backstory: I transferred to another store 6 months ago. Was promised, and have in writing, that requesting a day or two off now and then isn't a big deal and that I was guaranteed working four 10 hour shifts. In the six months I've been there, I have been given one additional day off two months ago and only worked those four 10 hour shifts my first week there. I was told that I would return to that schedule "soon" but it's been a while and here I am making this post, so you probably know how that went.

At your store, when requesting time off, are you required to talk to a leader first or can you just put the request in? If you have to talk to a lead, do they even allow you to put the request in the system? My current ETL always demands that I don't enter it but insists he'll make a note to give me that day off. He never remembers and when I ask about it, am told, "Well, the schedule is already written. Too bad."

When you are scheduled outside of your availability, how do you go about correcting this? My availability from here on out is what I was told I would be working: four 10 hour shifts, Monday through Thursday. How do I ensure this is what I will be scheduled when my ETL refuses to answer questions? I asked about it three weeks ago and he told me he was no longer doing the schedule, which is definitely a lie. Thanks for any input!

tldr: help I can't get time off or my schedule fixed

How did you manage to get that sweet deal, working four 10's? Anyway, if you really have the promise in writing, talk to your ETL-HR about it.
As for requesting time off, I would submit the time off request form via eHR first, then go speak to your leader about it. They still have to approve it, but it makes it harder to screw you over, and if the schedule you on a day you've had approved as an off day, they can't hold it against you.

If you are a tm, no guarantee on 40 hours a week. Depends on sales and payroll. That's why your special deal lasted only 1 week. Waiting 5 months later, does not help either.

Last edited:
When you're scheduled outside your availability they can't force you to work it. Talk to your ETL-HR and they are required to schedule you inside your availability you gave them and they accepted.

Your ETL doesn't want the requests in the system so he can "forget" then screw you.. Never ever not have a paper trail.. I make sure every second of time off is documented. Be it days I never work or not. I request it off in the system so no one can just schedule me with me having no way to say "fuck off, find someone else".

How did you manage to get that sweet deal, working four 10's? Anyway, if you really have the promise in writing, talk to your ETL-HR about it.
As for requesting time off, I would submit the time off request form via eHR first, then go speak to your leader about it. They still have to approve it, but it makes it harder to screw you over, and if the schedule you on a day you've had approved as an off day, they can't hold it against you.

I know the TL, he used to work at my old store. And it's a long story but my current store was pretty desperate for me to transfer there so they were pretty open to anything.

If you are a tm, no guarantee on 40 hours a week. Depends on sales and payroll. That's why your special deal lasted only 1 week. Waiting 5 months later, does not help either.

At this point I'm happy to work less than 40 hours, that is not a big deal. There are other circumstances why I waited to bring it up. It wasn't a huge inconvenience but now it is, hence why I'm motivated to get answers.

When you're scheduled outside your availability they can't force you to work it. Talk to your ETL-HR and they are required to schedule you inside your availability you gave them and they accepted.

Thank you! :)

Is your availability set in the computer as those four days for those ten hours? Or is it open?

Nope, my availability is in the computer as four days and ten hour shifts. So he's just been scheduling me outside of it.

Your ETL doesn't want the requests in the system so he can "forget" then screw you.. Never ever not have a paper trail.. I make sure every second of time off is documented. Be it days I never work or not. I request it off in the system so no one can just schedule me with me having no way to say "fuck off, find someone else".

Yep, learned this the hard way. I was under the impression that he wasn't that kind of ETL, as I've had a lot over the years, but apparently he is.

I'm going to ask him about all of this first the next time I work and see if HR needs to be brought in. Thank you for the replies!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back