Archived TL to ETL relationship

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to know how the relationship between a TL and their ETL changes in regards to just a TM to ETL relationship. What are things to be expected if you're a TL from an ETL?

Depends on the tenure levels of the tl and etl, as well as personal dynamic between the two.

For example I had a new etl right out of college who understood I had a level of knowledge, and respect she did not. She capitalized on this. She treated me as a peer and we approached issues together as a team, usually generating good, long term solutions. She called me on my shit, and I called her on hers. It was never rude or curt, but we both understood the mutual gain to be had by taking criticism and challenging each other.

After moving stores I had an etl who was new, and really didn't care about any experience or knowledge I had. Any challenge to a decision was me being "not on board" Despite being vocal about how I felt behind closed doors, I implemented and pushed for everything she asked. My only refusal was when it failed, I wouldn't coach team members for failing due to a broken process. She tried to write me up, I got the hrbp involved, he basically said lolno and my etl stopped speaking to me. I gave a months notice when leaving and she said 3 words (I counted) during the entire 4 weeks.

2 entirely different personalities, 2 entirely different results.

I'm not saying I (the srtl) in these scenarios am perfect, I have been the one causing the issue in the past, but through taking feedback I've been able to improve as a leader.

TLDR; it just depends on how the two people mesh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back