Archived What makes a great TL?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, so I just got signed off for Hardlines Team Lead at my store. I've been with the store for 4 years now, a decent store, and I have a pretty good understanding of the other team members in my store, as well as the sales floor and processes. I would like to know what you guys think makes a great tl, because I have seen a lot of poor management, and do not want to contribute to that bad idea of leadership. What are your opinions of a great tl, how should communicate with the team, and how can they help the team best?? Thanks in advance, I'd really like to be great for my tm's and successful for myself.

In my experience, someone who cares about the end result. So long as your job is finished by the end of the night, they don't bother you during it

Anybody can be a "Boss" and tell people what to do....a great "Leader" is someone who leads by example, shows people what to do and how to do it. Show genuine concern and interest in questions that are asked of you, no matter how many times the question mite be asked. Remember new TMs have a lot of information being thrown at them.

This is what I think makes a great TL...

- Treat the TMs the same way you'd want to be treated
- Spend the majority of your time out on the floor, like helping with pulls, reshop, sales planners, zoning, whatever
- A great TL needs to have a floor presence. If you sit in your office all day and bark orders, you will lose a lot of respect from your team
- Don't ask your TMs to do something that you wouldn't do yourself
- Target is a team place. If you don't work with your team, you'll go down in flames. Without your team, there is no Target
- Communication is vital
- Become friends with your TMs, make sure they know that, if they have qualms, you're the first person they come to
- Just do the best you can and give it 110% every time you walk through those doors

That's about all I got. Hope this helps.

Lead by example has always been my motto. My teams always knew I would never ask them to something I would not do myself. Also do not tolerate poor performers. Get rid of them ASAP. Nothing brings down a team faster than a team members or members that are late all the time, do not complete tasks, take long breaks etc. and nothing happens to them. Everybody the questions why the should bother showing up on time and working hard. And always go to bat for your team members. Get them hours, protect them from other TLs and ETLs, and do little things for them like get the drinks when they are working hard. It does not take much to develop a loyal hard working team. You simply have to be consistent with the rules, enforce the rules, support your team members, work with them not above them, and reward good work. And communicate. None of your team should ever be surprised about where they stand performance wise. In the end the poor performers will fear and hate you and good performers will love and respect you.

Being a good leader is fairly simple. The hard part is remembering that it's simple, don't over complicate it.

Deliver on your promises, if you say it do it.

Planning is crucial. Don't be afraid to go offstage, but explain to your team why. "I'll be off the floor today doing xyz so we can do abc"

Be available always. Give your team your phone number. If they need to call out or check a schedule, they can reach out to you. If you need a shift covered or something done, you can reach out to them. Don't break the rules, but don't be afraid to bend them either.

Give them autonomy. Teach them how to set planograms, mark clearance, use my support etc. Then give them something to own. As a hl tl I rarely had to do any work in my own area, my team managed it all, and I rewarded them/explained when they did it wrong.

Don't tolerate poor performers. Move on them quickly. If they are under 90, do your best to help but if they aren't at an acceptable level after 3 months they never will be.

ALWAYS explain WHY.

Get to know your employees. A birthday card and a small gift relevant to their interests shows them you listen, and goes a long way to build buy in.

Most importantly, you work for your team, they do not work for you. You cannot be successful without them, and at the end of the day they are the ones doing the bulk of the work. If anyone complains, targets, bashes, or otherwise disrespects your team publically, you go after them quickly and furiously. If there is an issue with your team, you will handle it, and your peers should understand that any unreasonable behaviour towards your team will not be tolerated. If it's legit, then it's legit, but if you hear your stl talking shit about one of your tms in the office, you pull them aside and let them know, that shit is not ok.

Also, remember that while you are a part of a team, you put your own work center first. Successful tms are happy tms.

Never look down on anyone simply because they don't have a title. Listen to your team....they will tell you ( either straight out or by actions) what they want and dont want out of a leader . Don't let touble tms walk all over you...this will cause people to lose respect for you. Treat your team the way you would like someone to treat your mother, father, brother , sister, child etc. Always, remember you dont have to be an ass to be a good leader ...you can be firm and fair and still have a good relationship with your team. Lastly, listen. Take the time to get to know your team and value their feed back. Don't me afraid to ask questions not only of your peers/leadership but of your tms as well.

Thanks for your replies everyone, I'll take that all in mind when I'm working with my team. So, are there problems I'll have to watch out for? Particularly for salesfloor tl's? For example, new tm's have been tough to deal with....so much calling out, it's ridiculous. Any tough problems I should expect besides the obvious drama?

As salesfloor TL nowadays, you're probably going to be expected to be a TL and a TM at the same time. You will have a ton of shit to do, but you will also have to work cafs, push returns, zone, backup cashier, cover breaks, set pogs, etc. all while still being a leader, coaching, keeping up with attendance issues, problem solving, scheduling, writing reviews/CCAs, etc. It's not always easy to feel like a TL on the floor since many times you are not working with your team members unless you are closing... which usually means you have your own sizeable area to take care of.

hqdefault.jpg

Hey guys, so I just got signed off for Hardlines Team Lead at my store. I've been with the store for 4 years now, a decent store, and I have a pretty good understanding of the other team members in my store, as well as the sales floor and processes. I would like to know what you guys think makes a great tl, because I have seen a lot of poor management, and do not want to contribute to that bad idea of leadership. What are your opinions of a great tl, how should communicate with the team, and how can they help the team best?? Thanks in advance, I'd really like to be great for my tm's and successful for myself.
same as any position. you don't rely on people below you to do what you're job requires. we had an awesome gstl and etl ge. they had everything worked out. they moved on wand moving into leadership its holy shit they have no idea what they're doing. if you care, you're taking on a lot more than your work center.

talk to them. most salesfloor is hands off. talk to them about how their shifts are going, are the accomplishing things you expect?

if they aren't, why are they not? are they being put in a place without training? are they uncomfortable doing x?

you need to put them in positions to succeed and the worst for me is just accepting people consistently make mistakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back