Archived Work and chronic illness

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a diabetic. Some people at work know, some do not. I haven't found anyone at my store who really "gets it"

Anyone else deal with a specific medical condition at work? Do you disclose it to them? Tips on explaining things to other tms or leaders?

One of our cashiers has epilepsy & a SFTM is a type I diabetic.
Generally it's on a need-to-know basis with TLs, ETLs & whomever they share info with.
Enough of a network so somebody knows what to do in an emergency.

We have some tms with chronic illnesses. May I ask what they "don't get" at your store? I'm afraid I may be letting someone down. 2 type 1 diabetics that I know about.

Managing type one can be complicated, distracting and overwhelming. Doing okay here, as I have been living with this for many years, but I wish I had a buddy at work who was in the same boat.

We have at least two TMs who take insulin with meals. It's somewhat common knowledge since they do it in the break room while carrying on conversations, and nobody really pays attention to it.

I have chronic pain, Neuropathy from failed back surgery syndrome they call it, i had an l5/s1 fusion that didnt completely fuse. Left sided weakness, Neuropathy and pain. I also have chronic migraines and i was diagnosed with absent seizure disorder after suffering a grand mal seizure at my previous job. They ran a bunch of tests and with medication thats under control but my pain and neuropathy isnt, i try to control how much people see at work but i have good and bad days. I also try to watch who i tell. Obviously mangement and a few close coworkers know.

Just watch who you tell bc people do tend to gossip. If it is something that is potentially life threatening like diabetes or seizures then make sure the higher ups know

I don't have any physical conditions(well I get bad migraines), just mental ones that give me physical symptoms lol... My medication makes me specifically overheat/get heat stroke quite easily. The store I'm in is super freaking hot so I let one of my etls know and two of my team leads and they let me bring my yeti cup on the floor in my sfs cart and they got a box fan for in receiving.

I only told people I needed to know because people gossip so much these days and are too immature.

I would just say keep it to yourself and your hr/immediate tl/etl unless you need to have accommodations made tbh or if you meet a friend who understands and you can trust them lol

Managing type one can be complicated, distracting and overwhelming. Doing okay here, as I have been living with this for many years, but I wish I had a buddy at work who was in the same boat.
One of our electronics tm is diabetic and its never under control. I can almost tell you his levels from taking to him at this point. They don't let even all the etl know which can lead to awkward situations. I've had to send him on break to get a snack and call for carry outs because I've taken over the boat. Even though I was responding to his carry out call. One week we called the ambulance twice and I tight they were going to fire him as he's had coaching conversations about it multiple times. Not because he's diabetic but because he lets it get to diabetic coma levels and doesn't say anything. When its busy he gets worse. He keeps snacks in the boat. The anger I draw the line at though. Normally I will call the lod over at that point and explain what's happening and that I either can or cannot cover while he takes some time off the floor to collect himself.

One of our electronics tm is diabetic and its never under control. I can almost tell you his levels from taking to him at this point. They don't let even all the etl know which can lead to awkward situations. I've had to send him on break to get a snack and call for carry outs because I've taken over the boat. Even though I was responding to his carry out call. One week we called the ambulance twice and I tight they were going to fire him as he's had coaching conversations about it multiple times. Not because he's diabetic but because he lets it get to diabetic coma levels and doesn't say anything. When its busy he gets worse. He keeps snacks in the boat. The anger I draw the line at though. Normally I will call the lod over at that point and explain what's happening and that I either can or cannot cover while he takes some time off the floor to collect himself.

This is what I mean by don't "get it". You are right, this tm probably is out of control and needs to take more responsibility. People who can't get their crap together drive me nuts too. On the other hand, we deal with it 24/7. Never a break, never a vacation, forever. It can beAt you down and often in a series of events or emergencies that make it look like you are not trying but really it's a circle you are barely crawling out of. Two steps forward, one back. Diabetes can make you behave irrationally, confused, ect... The symptoms can go on and on. Many times a ETL knows about a condition, but that doesn't mean the pay close enough attention to the person to even notice a problem. Heck, at my store they are all too busy brushing each other's hair and looking at clothes. I hope we can all realize that each person, medical condition or not, should be there to take care of one another.

Interesting to hear how other people may view the inconvenience of a medical issue. Thanks for sharing!

This is what I mean by don't "get it". You are right, this tm probably is out of control and needs to take more responsibility. People who can't get their crap together drive me nuts too. On the other hand, we deal with it 24/7. Never a break, never a vacation, forever. It can beAt you down and often in a series of events or emergencies that make it look like you are not trying but really it's a circle you are barely crawling out of. Two steps forward, one back. Diabetes can make you behave irrationally, confused, ect... The symptoms can go on and on. Many times a ETL knows about a condition, but that doesn't mean the pay close enough attention to the person to even notice a problem. Heck, at my store they are all too busy brushing each other's hair and looking at clothes. I hope we can all realize that each person, medical condition or not, should be there to take care of one another.

Interesting to hear how other people may view the inconvenience of a medical issue. Thanks for sharing!
He fell and broke his leg in two places a couple years ago. It did not change how he deals with his levels. He eats healthier now, but its not really enough. He thinks he does a great job, which is also a problem. He drives me nuts but he's kind of like that one crazy uncle... He's family so you still keep an eye on him even if he's pissing you of.

I am a diabetic. Some people at work know, some do not. I haven't found anyone at my store who really "gets it"

Anyone else deal with a specific medical condition at work? Do you disclose it to them? Tips on explaining things to other tms or leaders?

They don't get it, well some do and usually not the easy way of coming to an understanding. Why I love my ETL, he has health issues and sometimes limps around like I do. We check each other, "Slow down, did you eat and take your meds?" Or here, you stay up on the ladder and just hand that box down to me, since we care clearing the shelf. My ETL, HR, TL, team mates and most of the backroom know, since the meds I take, I won't use the Wave, or stacker on them.

L5/S1 discs by the films we are waiting until they herniate for surgery, a lot of arthritis in low the back and one hip. Cold wet days are torture. I had one ETL try to coach me one day after taking three days off for a rhizotomy, I didn't know it was going hurt that much just standing. I was loafing in his eyes, cause I took an extra break to basically sit on an ice pack. I was lucky I could move.. He shut the fuck up when he learned what a rhizotomy was..

I always look at it like this.. You have DM, my back is done.. I will check you when I think you are acting strange or look off, you check me when I look like I am hurting or a turtle moves faster.. ;)

I have really bad allergies to the point I could stop breathing so I keep a epipen with me at work I decided to ask my ETL's if they knew how to use one in case I need help, not one of them knew how and my HR said your supposed to stab it in your heart right!

I have really bad allergies to the point I could stop breathing so I keep a epipen with me at work I decided to ask my ETL's if they knew how to use one in case I need help, not one of them knew how and my HR said your supposed to stab it in your heart right!

Please tell me that was a Pulp Fiction joke.. Cause I would have made that joke..

Epi-pen is more "stab a muscle - thigh is first choice, then you move from there."

I have had an autoimmune disease since middle school. At first just my TL knew, then I told my ETL, and now that I'm a TL, the entire ETL team knows. They know if I'm out, I'm not feeling good, etc they know it's something else and not just me being slothlike. I try not to show it or let it effect my work, but some days it's hard.

I'm surprised no one gets it, as it seems everyone has a close relative who has diabetes.

I have a disability and the route I chose to take was to talk openly about it. The more everyone knows, the more leeway I get when I really, really need it. For my part, I don't abuse the leeway I can get, I don't lie and say I'm having disability issues if I don't.

But I can also understand the other side of it. Last job I had a co-worker whose mental illness was not well controlled. There were days he was truly frightening, especially since we knew his rational mind had lost all control during those times.

I am very open at my store as i have a handicap placard #1, #2 some days i can barely limp in the door but still get through the day, and #3 i am going to be going out for back surgery to get a spinal cord stimulator soon if the neurosurgeon is on board with it. He may want to do another fusion as the 3 levels above my current fusion have herinated.

But I've learned since dealing with chronic pain that people say they understand and dont completely.

Communication is the key. You will know who can help you. They will come to you, without delay. They would say, I thought you need some help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back