I'm Lost! The REDCard Thread

so tonight my bitch of an ETL-GE told me how we got zero Redcards and as a store we are very low for Redcards in our district. In two weeks we are all going to get coached and the TMs who do not get Redcards are going to get fired. How the hell is it fair to get coached on something we have no control over? what does she want me to do? twist the guest's arms and force them to sign-up or lie to them to get them to sign up? It is insane. Maybe the Redcard should not be such a big deal. mini rant over.

Last edited:
so tonight my bitch of an ETL-GE told me how we got zero Redcards and as a store we are very low for Redcards in our district. In two weeks we are all going to get coached and the TMs who do not get Redcards are going to get fired. How the hell is it fair to get coached on something we have no control over? what does she want me to do? twist the guest's arms and force them to sign-up or lie to them to get them to sign up? It is insane. Maybe the Redcard should not be such a big deal. mini rant over.
Is coaching like a formal write up?

Is coaching like a formal write up?

It can be or it can be a simple matter of being pulled to one side an talked to about the problem at hand.
A formal coaching where they sit down with you in the office and talk to you a bigger deal but they all get written down.

Three of those can be turned into a CCA which becomes a formal write up.

The threat about people who don't get Redcards getting fired is just that, a threat.
Oh, they will come up with ways to accomplish it but they can't fire you for not getting Redcards.
If you aren't asking every time, if you aren't making the effort, etc. they can fire you but not because people are turning you down.

Here's the thing they can performance you out.
That will be for things like getting a drink of water at the wrong time of being over on your break by a couple of minutes or not bagging things right.
There are enough rules that they will find ones to get you with, I guarantee it.
The sad part is, then they will hire a bunch of newbies who will continue to not get Redcards and have no idea what's wrong.

Motivation is not telling people they will be fired.
You are dealing with desperate people with no management skills and very little understanding of how to handle people.
They are suffering from the cognitive dissonance that comes from trying to apply Spots unrealistic expectations to the real world without the skills to merge the two.

Last edited:
The threat about people who don't get Redcards getting fired is just that, a threat.
Oh, they will come up with ways to accomplish it but they can't fire you for not getting Redcards.
If you aren't asking every time, if you aren't making the effort, etc. they can fire you but not because people are turning you down.

Here's the thing they can performance you out.
That will be for things like getting a drink of water at the wrong time of being over on your break by a couple of minutes or not bagging things right.
There are enough rules that they will find ones to get you with, I guarantee it.
The sad part is, then they will hire a bunch of newbies who will continue to not get Redcards and have no idea what's wrong.

Motivation is not telling people they will be fired.
You are dealing with desperate people with no management skills and very little understanding of how to handle people.
They are suffering from the cognitive dissonance that comes from trying to apply Spots unrealistic expectations to the real world without the skills to merge the two.
To be honest I am NOT worried at all. I do my job and I make every effort. I was just blowing off steam because I was mad at "Cruella De Vil" :D

Last edited:
While some people know you can't be fired for not getting Redcards I'm betting most cashiers don't and threatening them with termination for it is just sociopathic manipulation.

While some people know you can't be fired for not getting Redcards I'm betting most cashiers don't and threatening them with termination for it is just sociopathic manipulation.
yes indeed queencat! I also think it is VERY manipulative for management to do that to people. I am almost considering reporting it to HR and maybe the hotline.

Well I just got coached for not getting enough redcard. Not for not asking or bad technique because she specifically said "you are asking but it's just your conversion is too low", just that people aren't signing up and that warrants a coaching. What do they want me to do, lie like our redcard queen does?

Well I just got coached for not getting enough redcard. Not for not asking or bad technique because she specifically said "you are asking but it's just your conversion is too low", just that people aren't signing up and that warrants a coaching. What do they want me to do, lie like our redcard queen does?

I'm curious, did you ask for guidance during the coaching?
In those kinds of situations it can be risky to turn it back on the TL but I'd be interested to know what kind of response you would get if you asked for specific things you could do to guarantee an improved score.
Things that if you did each and every time ( and could prove you did) but still failed to get redcards, they couldn't coach you for again.
Any other position if you don't do the job correctly there are steps given to correct the process.
So it seems the same should apply to redcards and they shouldn't be allowed to ding you if those steps are followed.

yea I do not know what they want me to do... twist the guests' arms? hold their stuff hostage? tell them it is a bonus card? WTF? I wont ever stoop to that level... they can fire me for all I care!

I'm curious, did you ask for guidance during the coaching?
In those kinds of situations it can be risky to turn it back on the TL but I'd be interested to know what kind of response you would get if you asked for specific things you could do to guarantee an improved score.
Things that if you did each and every time ( and could prove you did) but still failed to get redcards, they couldn't coach you for again.
Any other position if you don't do the job correctly there are steps given to correct the process.
So it seems the same should apply to redcards and they shouldn't be allowed to ding you if those steps are followed.

I did not, I know I should have and probably will tomorrow. She didn't spend too much time on Redcards and talked more about improving my vibe score. At this point I don't know what's a good score and what's not. The last time I heard my anything score was in September right after I started. I know not all stores are the same but here cashiers are left out of the loop on EVERYTHING including things going on in the front. It would have been helpful to know I wasn't doing well enough two weeks ago when I could have DONE SOMETHING about it instead of having a fucking panic attack in the breakroom after getting written up.

I don't blame my TL, she was just doing her job. And even though my ETL is drowning in kool-aid I don't blame her too much either. But it's getting really frustrating because I am either told no or that they already have one, and I feel like me and other cashiers are getting blamed for things that are 100% out of our control.

Last edited:
I did not, I know I should have and probably will tomorrow. She didn't spend too much time on Redcards and talked more about improving my vibe score. At this point I don't know what's a good score and what's not. The last time I heard my anything score was in September right after I started. I know not all stores are the same but here cashiers are left out of the loop on EVERYTHING including things going on in the front. It would have been helpful to know I wasn't doing well enough two weeks ago when I could have DONE SOMETHING about it instead of having a fucking panic attack in the breakroom after getting written up.

I don't blame my TL, she was just doing her job. And even though my ETL is drowning in kool-aid I don't blame her too much either. But it's getting really frustrating because I am either told no or that they already have one, and I feel like me and other cashiers are getting blamed for things that are 100% out of our control.
That sucks so much! I would just continue to ask every guest.

Red cards seem to be the most important task in our store . I understand it saves Target money, but when is the continued I am harping and badgering going to end? It is like working at a car dealership. Subtle approach is sometimes even more effective . Is there some type of a store to store competition?

Red cards seem to be the most important task in our store . I understand it saves Target money, but when is the continued I am harping and badgering going to end? It is like working at a car dealership. Subtle approach is sometimes even more effective . Is there some type of a store to store competition?
Saves and makes us a good chunk of change. Unless anything has changed recently we sell that information. The changes with redcards coming up might help, but you still gotta at least ask.

...which is why you'll NEVER see "Undercover Boss: Target edition".
I would pay a good $20 to see that, even if they left in commercials. God I would love to see a "undercover" Brian Cornell cashiering/getting yelled at for denying a return at the service desk (and then getting told by the LOD/GSA to do it anyway). If it was my store I would have the BIGGEST smile on my face! Of course he has to start on black THURSDAY (no thanksgiving for you fucker!) with minimal training and should be constantly pushed to get redcards by his trainer/supervisors.

If you live in a at-will state they can fire you for ANY reason, so that means one can be fired for not getting any red cards

This has nothing to do with getting REDCards at work, but are the debit REDCards charges going through faster now? Normally, it would take a few days after a transaction for it to clear. But, now I have pending charges on my credit union account from yesterday and the day before that will go through tonight (pending charges usually go through a few hours before midnight from what I've gathered) and comparing my REDCard summary and my CU statement, it looks like charges are going through faster than they did.

I heard today that they are no longer doing conversions for redcards. Its going to be a monthly goal set by each store.

Aha! I got a hold of the front end news last night for the month of February (ironically the only copy I could find was in electronics). Anyway, it mentioned prompts going away and it going to a straight number (which I knew thanks to here). And I found out number last week on workbench.

So, I went and waved it in front of my STL's face, who said he knew about it. To which I said that last week when I asked about it our ETL said he didn't know anything about it and how Spot wouldn't reinvent the wheel. Yeah, turns out my ETL was lying to me. <.<

Then the STL tried to tell me that he didn't know the amount per week. So I told him I found it on workbench and told him the number. Since he didn't ask me where on workbench, I presume that was a lie on his part.

He then told me that the reason they hadn't said anything is because they weren't clear on all the information...like how close to the goal they had to get to be green, etc, etc. so they didn't want to roll out the information without having all of it. After all the other lies, I had no idea if he was telling the truth anymore, and since he was walking away from me anyway, I let it drop.

Back