$.01 Price increases

Can anyone tell me the point of going around and changing the labels for an increase of $.01? I changed over 300 today, and between scanning them and putting them up it took me well over an hour and a half!

How does this financially make sense? They probably paid me more to do this task than they will see a return on for a long time. It just seems like it isn't thought out well.

When you multiply the price adjustment by hundreds of thousands of units on a product with steady inventory turnover, that's called "stealth inflation". It's barely noticeable to the guest. It's like slightly narrowing the width of a cereal box, and reducing the contents from 33.4 oz. to 30.8 oz., while the price stays the same.

When you multiply the price adjustment by hundreds of thousands of units on a product with steady inventory turnover, that's called "stealth inflation". It's barely noticeable to the guest. It's like slightly narrowing the width of a cereal box, and reducing the contents from 33.4 oz. to 30.8 oz., while the price stays the same.
Pet food companies seem to be masters of the shrinking bag...😾💸😠

Spot seems to be changing a lot of home goods, particularly MBD/RE/Threshold stuff from .99 to the .00 versions. Signing has been inconsistent, but lots of things going from 5.99 to 6 or 24.99 to 25, etc.

Pet food companies seem to be masters of the shrinking bag...😾💸😠
I notice this in so many products! Blocks of cheese are smaller, granola bars and breakfast bars are smaller and have less per box. Yogurt went from 8 oz to 6 oz. I think there is less oatmeal in the instant packets. And have you seen Klondike bars recently? I swear they are half the size they used to be.

The one that really irks me is tissue boxes. Every couple of years the reduce the count by 5-10 tissues.

You're really going to love when those same 300 items drop back down by $.01 in the next week or two. Always makes me wonder if it is actually intentional or someone just had fat fingers when typing. 🤣
It’s based off Comp shopping Walmart. We used to do it ourselves but now a third party does it.

All the checklane cooler drinks went up 10 cents a while back. Then three days later they went down 10 cents. Then four days later they went up 80 cents. Those take forever to activate and replace and I was extremely annoyed. The first two changes were just not needed.

It’s based off Comp shopping Walmart. We used to do it ourselves but now a third party does it.
I've seen old signs alluding to that in the backroom, how did that work? Did they send TMs to other stores to write down their prices?

All the checklane cooler drinks went up 10 cents a while back. Then three days later they went down 10 cents. Then four days later they went up 80 cents. Those take forever to activate and replace and I was extremely annoyed. The first two changes were just not needed.
lmk why check lane drinks are more than the 2l drinks of the same soda

The best is when they mark up the price then a week later its on sale for the original price just to put a sale sign on it. Happens in market quite often not sure about other areas

They do this on school supplies right before we set BTS in seasonal.

Spot seems to be changing a lot of home goods, particularly MBD/RE/Threshold stuff from .99 to the .00 versions. Signing has been inconsistent, but lots of things going from 5.99 to 6 or 24.99 to 25, etc.
That makes sense. For the home decor flat signs look better with $25 as opposed to $24.99.

The best is when they mark up the price then a week later its on sale for the original price just to put a sale sign on it. Happens in market quite often not sure about other areas
Yep, I think it happens at the supermarket I now work at.

Since doing price changes as a DBO, I've often wondered what the price change team thought of it all. The ones that irritate me the most are the ones that are a significant decrease with the "was $__, now $__" which seems great but then the next week, it's right back to what it was before. Whatever happened to those "temporary price decrease" signs we used to have?
And yes, I did a two cent change today. Whoop!
Although I do like how we leave product that's on clearance in the aisle now, at least until it resets. Way easier than cramming it all on an end cap, which gets plenty crowded anyway.

Can anyone tell me the point of going around and changing the labels for an increase of $.01? I changed over 300 today, and between scanning them and putting them up it took me well over an hour and a half!

How does this financially make sense? They probably paid me more to do this task than they will see a return on for a long time. It just seems like it isn't thought out well.
After working in entertainment during the holidays it blew my mind how wasteful Target is as a company. We replaced every single paper label strip in isles F-11 through F-20 EVERY WEEK. It’s ok during the off season because they would only send us the label strips being changed, so we would only change 2 to 5+ labels per isle which would only take about a day or two (20ish hours). But during the holidays corporate says fuck team members, fuck the forests, and screw money let’s spend all of it and sends every single label strip regardless of whether or not anything is changing. I kid you not I got 36 labels for Isle F-18 and only one... ONE label was different... and it was only the price nothing actually moved. I eventually figured out that if nothing changed I could just throw the brand new label strips into the garbage. And this happened weekly. I went straight to my store director and just asked why... it’s such a waste of time, not to mention we fill 2-4 plastic bags full of label strips every week during the holidays. One week we were replacing label strips for tune in and it took Monday through Saturday and we replaced them all the next week.

Last edited:
Back