Archived $1 a hour Wage Increase for Everyone in our Store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all

Everyone at my store today got an early Christmas gift. Our STL and HR-ETL went around and talked with everyone about a wage increase we all got. We have had some of the worse turnover I have seen and I am guessing this is why we are getting this LARGE increase.

This made what was a stressful day (2/3 of NIT VA to set, 3 POGs for girls to set, at least 4 POGs for girls to set, and 2 POGs for sleepwear to set) a little better.

My supervisor and the PPTL did not seem too concerned, so I don't feel so bad. It was really just me and my brand team member setting all of this. We just lost the other softlines TL and his brand team member. I did have a trainee on one day, but of course that slows me down, as I try to make sure she knew the whats and why behind what I was doing. Also all of the clearance I have does not help any. I made suer that I noted that in the survey for the girls set. I just hope that the PA team sends a bunch to Goodwill on Monday.

On a side note I noticed a fe new maps in the VA manual. I tried using one of these maps in girls, but it looks like almost everything sets on convertibles. The problem with that is I just don't enough of these fixtures. Also it does not show some of the fixtures we have to set at our store. Despite having a small floorpad, I am guessing these maps must be for "City Target."

I might be able to actually buy Starbux. Instead of the keurig stuff they (used to) leave in the break room.

Is there going to be a hike in the minimum wage for your state?
They could just be trying to get ahead of the 8-ball.

LOL don't for a minute think that they did this because they care about TMs. There are two (and only two) reasons Target does this:

1. The minimum wage in your state is going to be going up.

2. They did a wage survey of Wal-mart, Best Buy, etc in your area and were forced to do it because they absolutely are at the rock bottom compared to them. (this prevents "bleeding" TMs to competitors)

You know what sucks when they do this? TMs who already get paid a dollar (or more) over starting get nothing. So let's say they bump the minimum starting pay at your store to $9/hour. Anyone making $10/hour or more gets nothing. So, in theory, it is possible to have been working at the store for a few years, and suddenly people who just get hired make as much as you do. They usually try to do damage control and keep it a secret.... but when the TMs who didn't get it find out they are usually pissed.

Hey all

Everyone at my store today got an early Christmas gift. Our STL and HR-ETL went around and talked with everyone about a wage increase we all got. We have had some of the worse turnover I have seen and I am guessing this is why we are getting this LARGE increase.

This made what was a stressful day (2/3 of NIT VA to set, 3 POGs for girls to set, at least 4 POGs for girls to set, and 2 POGs for sleepwear to set) a little better.

My supervisor and the PPTL did not seem too concerned, so I don't feel so bad. It was really just me and my brand team member setting all of this. We just lost the other softlines TL and his brand team member. I did have a trainee on one day, but of course that slows me down, as I try to make sure she knew the whats and why behind what I was doing. Also all of the clearance I have does not help any. I made suer that I noted that in the survey for the girls set. I just hope that the PA team sends a bunch to Goodwill on Monday.

On a side note I noticed a fe new maps in the VA manual. I tried using one of these maps in girls, but it looks like almost everything sets on convertibles. The problem with that is I just don't enough of these fixtures. Also it does not show some of the fixtures we have to set at our store. Despite having a small floorpad, I am guessing these maps must be for "City Target."

LOL don't for a minute think that they did this because they care about TMs. There are two (and only two) reasons Target does this:

1. The minimum wage in your state is going to be going up.

2. They did a wage survey of Wal-mart, Best Buy, etc in your area and were forced to do it because they absolutely are at the rock bottom compared to them. (this prevents "bleeding" TMs to competitors)

You know what sucks when they do this? TMs who already get paid a dollar (or more) over starting get nothing. So let's say they bump the minimum starting pay at your store to $9/hour. Anyone making $10/hour or more gets nothing. So, in theory, it is possible to have been working at the store for a few years, and suddenly people who just get hired make as much as you do. They usually try to do damage control and keep it a secret.... but when the TMs who didn't get it find out they are usually pissed.

I might agree with you except you are ignoring what the OP clearly stated: EVERYBODY at that store got this raise, not just those making minimum pay.

I might agree with you except you are ignoring what the OP clearly stated: EVERYBODY at that store got this raise, not just those making minimum pay.

Sorry, there is no way he knows that "everyone" got it. HR will never discuss another TMs pay with anyone.... (go ask your ETL-HR how much another TM makes.... find out what happens) and since most stores usually have around 80 TMs at least on the payroll, I seriously doubt he went around asking everyone how much money they make and if they just got a pay raise. (And honestly, I would be really surprised if many TMs were willing to tell him even if he did ask.... First, it is none of his business how much they make and most TMs won't just tell anyone who asks. Second, it is against company policy to ask in the first place)

Now, HR might have bull shi**ed him (and everyone else who got it) by telling them that "everyone" got it, which is actually typicaly because it discourages people from talking about it since they think everyone already knows about it.

Last edited:
I'm friendly with most of my store and I know pretty much everyone's pay just from chit chat.

If they probed for core roles and the level of expectations for job performance and quality instead of just raw hourly wage, all the TMs would be making several dollars more per hour than they do now. I've worked at a lot of different places, and the expectations, and performance and quality demands, are just killer compared to them. And not in the good way. Especially for the pay.

If they probed for core roles and the level of expectations for job performance and quality instead of just raw hourly wage, all the TMs would be making several dollars more per hour than they do now. I've worked at a lot of different places, and the expectations, and performance and quality demands, are just killer compared to them. And not in the good way. Especially for the pay.

I agree with you that if you factored in the quality of workers, at least some TMs would be making a lot more.

However, there is a lot of "dead wood" at Target. (don't tell me there isn't, I was a TL and dealt with it daily)

Jobs at retailers like Target are where people who lack certain qualities (work ethic/education/no criminal record/good job history/etc) can go to obtain employment in our society. No - this *does not* mean that all TMs at Target are uneducated/lazy/etc. There are tons of very hard working TMs, and even some with degrees.

The fact is, however, there are tons of TMs out there who fall into at least one catagory - be it high school drop out, lazy, criminal record, etc.

Let's say Target were to start paying, say, $15/hour for sales floor TMs to start. Guess what would happen? Target would start demanding higher quality people - and for that wage, it would be reasonable for them to do so. Maybe start demanding that all TMs have an associate's degree, or maybe that they have 5 years of excellent work history. Then where would all of the people go who aren't perfect and made a mistake in life?

Sorry, there is no way he knows that "everyone" got it. HR will never discuss another TMs pay with anyone.... (go ask your ETL-HR how much another TM makes.... find out what happens) and since most stores usually have around 80 TMs at least on the payroll, I seriously doubt he went around asking everyone how much money they make and if they just got a pay raise. (And honestly, I would be really surprised if many TMs were willing to tell him even if he did ask.... First, it is none of his business how much they make and most TMs won't just tell anyone who asks. Second, it is against company policy to ask in the first place)

Now, HR might have bull shi**ed him (and everyone else who got it) by telling them that "everyone" got it, which is actually typicaly because it discourages people from talking about it since they think everyone already knows about it.

Just letting you know that everyone I talked to about this said they also got the $1. It was not just team leads like me that got it. Seems very odd to me, as I have never anything like this happen in the past. i know they did a wage survey, but with those in the past only effected the starting wage. That meant only those not making the new wage would get a bump.

Just letting you know that everyone I talked to about this said they also got the $1. It was not just team leads like me that got it. Seems very odd to me, as I have never anything like this happen in the past. i know they did a wage survey, but with those in the past only effected the starting wage. That meant only those not making the new wage would get a bump.

Hmmm.... Well that is very very very odd.

Was your store stuck at some crazy low starting wage at like 7.25? I am thinking maybe pay was so low at your store they had to do something drastic..... This may be especially true if the economy is getting better in your area and people are suddenly all starting to jump ship.

My whole store got a $1 raise a few years ago. We were told that it happened because of best team survey & a review of wages by group hr person in my district.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back