Archived -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dayside Backroom involves:
1.) Pulling the CAFs at the top of the hour
2.) Backstocking merchandise that TM's send back and flow leaves behind
3.) Completing Flex Fulfillments (things guests ordered online for in store pickup)
4.) Pulling batches for instocks and other empties
5.) Pulling sales plans and pogs (some stores BR TMs don't pull these)
6.) Pulling items for team members to help guests
7.) Run the baler, make bales, setting the line for the morning/flow team
8.) Pulling price change (clearance items)

Alot of what the backroom does is timed, the CAFs and Flex Fulfillments in particular. Flex Fulfillments are easy to complete by the time limit but the CAFs can give you trouble sometimes. You only get one hour to pull a set of batches before the next hour drops. If you don't complete them in time, shit can hit the fan pretty quickly. Besides that though, the backroom can be pretty easy.

You'll work alone for most of your shift & can generally listen to music. Plus, you don't have to be a slave to the checklanes!

You'll occasionally have to deal with heavy/big boxes but your a cart attendant so that's nothing new for you. Also, you can't be afraid of heights since you'll be climbing ladders, and using the WAVE pretty frequently.

Really though, the 2 biggest things about the backroom are speed and accuracy.

@asidius pretty much nailed dayside. Any backroom day shifts I've picked up I've spent the entire shift either pulling or pushing CAFs. Easy stuff.

Speed is life.

Asidius definitely covered it and as asants covers anything extra or less. In my store, for example, it's like this instead.

Dayside Backroom involves:
1.) Pulling the CAFs at the top of the hour
2.) Backstocking merchandise that flow leaves behind
3.) Completing Flex Fulfillments (things guests ordered online for in store pickup)
4.) Run the baler, make bales, setting the line for the morning/flow team

It all depends on how your store runs.

Also, you can't be afraid of heights since you'll be climbing ladders, and using the WAVE pretty frequently.
You can work in the Backroom and be afraid of heights. One of our best TMs back there has that issue and he overcomes it just fine by keeping three points of contact, knowing when to ask for help, and not looking down.

There are lots of things required of a Backroom team member. Many of which have been mentioned on here. My biggest piece of advice would be to make sure you are a self motivator . Meaning that you are able to get your work done without someone standing over the top of you etc. However, with you being a CA I am sure you are accustomed to that I have been a back room team member for 18 years and enjoy it . I may not always like the politics involved but I love the logistics process. Good luck!

We have had a few cart attendants who have gone from ca to backroom. They have had to apply a few times because we were short on cart attendants when they applied. Be a great trainer so that when they get someone new, you can train them to do your job and the front won't be hurting much if you go to the back room.

It's all about speed, hard work isn't hard to you after you've been cart attendant so don't worry about that.
Is your store low on cart attendants? That's going to be the biggest hurdle, I tried to crosstrain as backroom but my ETL politely explained that isn't gonna happen when 1 cart guy had just quit.

just an update! unfortunately when I went to apply for the BR position, it was no longer available, so I applied for flow. Recently I was told my application was accepted and I'd be starting as soon as this month. I'm excited to start! And excited to finally say goodbye to cart attendant!

Congratulations! Flow is...quite the interesting position.

Lmao, Cart attendant is harder work than being a BRTM.

Flow is a simple position (from the outside looking in).

This will be the most frustrating part you will encounter if u end up loving the position.

This will be the most frustrating part you will encounter if u end up loving the position.

How is it harder? As i've done both, getting trash/cart's/spill station's/backup cashier is honestly a cakewalk compared to waking up to unload a 2500 piece truck at 4am, pulling 80 POGS/EXF's/RSCH, and sorting pallets of TRANS. The amount of walking is probably the only thing that is comparable.

just an update! unfortunately when I went to apply for the BR position, it was no longer available, so I applied for flow. Recently I was told my application was accepted and I'd be starting as soon as this month. I'm excited to start! And excited to finally say goodbye to cart attendant!

Depending on how fast you move on FLOW, your ETL-LOG will then move you to the backroom when and if its available again. Good luck!

Flow and backroom are paid higher for a reason. The job is much more physical. I haven't done carts at Target, but I did at another retailer previously. The two positions don't really compare at all.

How is it harder? As i've done both, getting trash/cart's/spill station's/backup cashier is honestly a cakewalk compared to waking up to unload a 2500 piece truck at 4am, pulling 80 POGS/EXF's/RSCH, and sorting pallets of TRANS. The amount of walking is probably the only thing that is comparable.

Depending on how fast you move on FLOW, your ETL-LOG will then move you to the backroom when and if its available again. Good luck!

I am not comparing CA to flow I am comparing it to BR.

I am sure most people would rather pull all these batches, than clean up another person's shit.

there's never shit on the floor everyday. that's like maybe a once or twice a year thing. i some CA like to make themselves feel more important by acting people shit on the floor everday but it simply doesn't happen. no enough to where you'd rather take a BR workload.

congrats, got into the area with most payroll and a shift diff. If you bust ass and show any potential, they'll drop you in the backroom or even let you stay and push the food truck.

My backroom is bleeding longtime TM's, I'm leaving in two weeks. Another BR slot will open up for you eventually.

there's never shit on the floor everyday. that's like maybe a once or twice a year thing. i some CA like to make themselves feel more important by acting people shit on the floor everday but it simply doesn't happen. no enough to where you'd rather take a BR workload.
Please to not be a maroon.

Our backroom is also bleeding long time tm's there's only two veterans left. There are some days where it looks like a tornado whipped though the backroom...52 autofills with no empty three tiers? :confused: I would take flow over that mess 100% of the time.

One good thing about flow is that you can crosstrain and split your days between flow and backroom, or instocks, or cart attendant, or working the pfresh truck. It keeps things interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back