Archived 200 dollars and above

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember the legal limit on those pre-paid cards is 5 a day per guest, even if they split them into multiple transactions.
Yes thank you , finally someone gets it. At my store most of the cashiers think its 5 per transaction. Which is really not helping our bad fraid/theft problem.

Remember the legal limit on those pre-paid cards is 5 a day per guest, even if they split them into multiple transactions.
What legal limit? I've researched to see if there are any laws stating how many giftcards a person can buy a day and haven't found anything like that.

As far as I know, the only limit is $10000 per customer, per day. And that is a Treasury Dept. rule.

I have been told $1,000 per guest, at our store. I don't know if that's a district rule, or a store rule.

Yep, and if you don't have a diligent cashier, your blankers will just split it all into two transactions or something so POS doesn't ask for the digits. Easy workaround.
In the past we've been told to ID people who are buying multiples of the high value Visa gift cards with credit cards or a check. We are to compare the information on the ID to the card or check they plan to use and make sure it matches up. Mind you, at my store, we're supposed to ID everyone who's using checks nowadays anyway because fraudulent/stolen checks has become such a bad problem around here.

Wait, people can use a check to buy gift cards? That is just asking for fraud!

What legal limit? I've researched to see if there are any laws stating how many giftcards a person can buy a day and haven't found anything like that.

They claim in the cashier training manual that the legal limit is 5/day. I don't know how true it is, but that's what it says.

Yes. And they won't apply for a freaking Target Debit Card.

My mom could write a check faster than most pin pads could process. She had 1 credit card that was for emergency, everything else went into the register that was immaculate.

I think they want you to ask for the last four digits so that you actually see the card.and for target to know there is a card. alsoto protect the guest. I don't know why each store is different for the $ prompt. It could be that over a certain amount, the guest isn't liable for a fraudulent purpose.. Does that vary by card or by state laws?

If the monitor said, did you see the card and then have an option to hit yes or no, you know most of the cashiers would just hit the yes button because they couldn't be bothered.

Our self checkouts no longer allow PRE-paid Amex/visa/mc to go through. Have to go through a register with a real person. The scammers do not like that at all.
I wish the self checkouts would stop accepting coupons, including the target apology coupons.
----------------------
As far as the check writing guests who get real uppity when you ask if they want to open a target debit card, stating, oh no, not after your breach. After they write the check, I process the sale and put the check in the drawer, I will hand them their receipt and act like I had some kind of revelation. I will say something like, Oh my, when you write a check, people can not only see your checking account number but they will also have your address, signature and phone number.. Then I will say, huh, I will have to ask security about that. That doesn't seem to safe does it?. Bye, have a great day..

They usually leave thinking, maybe using a check isn't the brightest thing in the world, and I think to myself, next time keep your breach comments to yourself..it's so hard to listen to you say that stuff over and over again. anyone can get hacked with anything - except cash. And even with that, if you have to much cash lying around, the Feds are going to be checking you out..

Big brother is everywhere.

Last edited:
lol
I love that 'revelation'.
It used to drive me nutters that guests would be SO paranoid about typing in their data for a credit app but they'd give all KINDS of personal info online just for a free T-shirt or coffee mug.

at our target it prompts us at anything above $50... it's actually kind of annoying since most people who shop at target go way over that limit so we constantly have to ask for the last 4

We also had a cashier who, presumably annoyed with the low limit, split guest's transactions into two or three so as to avoid the prompt.

That one didn't last a week once AP found out.

I wonder why the limit is different between stores? It's 200 at mine. Why does it go all the way down to 50 for others? That seems ridiculously low.

I wonder why the limit is different between stores? It's 200 at mine. Why does it go all the way down to 50 for others? That seems ridiculously low.
It is based on risk level. Typing in the last four verifies the card sequence, the lower the limit, the more fraud gets weeded out.

There's no rhyme or reason at mine. I've had some prompt <$100, but have also had some go through >$200 just fine. My own Target card has gone through >$200 fine, but the other day prompted for a little over $60, both at pharmacy (not on same day, and both were only transactions on that day)???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back