Archived 200 dollars and above

Status
Not open for further replies.
When A guest buys 200 dollars and over worth of stuff with their credit card and they have to give the last four numbers if i accidently put in the wrong four numbers will the POS know it

It should, because the card has already been swiped thru.
Typing in the last 4 is supposed to confirm the card sequence.

As others have said, the card will be declined. Always pay close attention to what you're typing in.

And always be suspicious and call AP afterward if they are very reluctant to show the card, especially when buying gift cards. I has a dumbass the other night who wouldn't let me see it and held it up close to his chest reading the "numbers" on the card, which was quickly denied. Said he had cash in the car and quickly skedaddled out of the store never to been seen again that night.

Yep my AP says you can only try the numbers twice, in case you accidentally mistyped them on the first try. If after the second entry of #s the card is still declined, you are to decline the sale unless other payment method is produced.

I was told by the GSTL to request the card, rather than just ask for the last 4 digits.

I think the problem with this is that most guests think you're just doing it for your own pleasure especially after the whole Target breach which has been like, what, two years? I've had most guests not hand me the hard and then when I tell them that I need to actually see it they get all worried.

I've had guests complain to me that it's a privacy issue and it's like, ok, I don't really care it's my job. If you really think it's a problem, talk to corporate. I don't make the rules.

At our store (hopefully i'm not giving too much away) we're required to ask for ID when we have for the last four digits. Apparently someone had complained since that they felt discriminated against when one cashier asked and another one didn't. So now our general in-store rule is to always ask for both, even though I know Target policy states that we're not allowed to ask for ID.

I was told by the GSTL to request the card, rather than just ask for the last 4 digits.

My store requires us to see the actual card as well. From AP, this is because credit card scammers will sometimes encode a false magnetic strip onto a card. If we just ask for the last 4, the scammer could tell us the last four of the fraudulent card, making it go through, whereas if we punched in the last 4 on the card itself, they wouldn't match and the payment would deny. Plus, you can make sure that the card is real.

When we get repeat suspicious guests buying huge quantities of Visa/AMEX gift cards, I always type in the last 4 digits wrong if my register screen is not guest-facing. Auto deny and don't have to deal with them.

When we get repeat suspicious guests buying huge quantities of Visa/AMEX gift cards, I always type in the last 4 digits wrong if my register screen is not guest-facing. Auto deny and don't have to deal with them.
There are perfectly legitimate reasons to be buying large $$ amounts of gift cards.

Reasoning behind this is to verify that the physical numbers on the card match the numbers on the mag stripe. Credit card fraud groups have machines that are able to program the mag stripe with CC information but they may not have blank cards and the embossers to make the physical number the same. Physically handling the card is to prevent this type of fraud. I've seen a dude get busted with 100+ blank credit cards in his possession.

Yep, and if you don't have a diligent cashier, your blankers will just split it all into two transactions or something so POS doesn't ask for the digits. Easy workaround.

There are perfectly legitimate reasons to be buying large $$ amounts of gift cards.

Usually when a guy pulls out 4-5 generic looking "credit cards" in anticipation that one or more of their cards will not go through, instant red flag and easy excuse. In my area, the fraud has unfortunately ruined pre-paid gift cards for everyone. Unless someone is buying a single low $ amount, we are forced to look at it suspiciously.

Usually when a guy pulls out 4-5 generic looking "credit cards" in anticipation that one or more of their cards will not go through, instant red flag and easy excuse. In my area, the fraud has unfortunately ruined pre-paid gift cards for everyone. Unless someone is buying a single low $ amount, we are forced to look at it suspiciously.
No, I understand viewing it suspiciously but is it really the cashier's job to purposefully type in the wrong numbers to deny the transaction? If you have the card in your hand, type in the numbers and let the computer decide if it's fraud or not. Or call for help and let the GSTL make the call.

unfortunately i have yet to see 1 honest guest try to buy one; in the 2 1/2 years ive been with spot. But then again you're probably not in electronics in one of the hundred highest risk stores in the company. Its all about perspective.

unfortunately i have yet to see 1 honest guest try to buy one; in the 2 1/2 years ive been with spot. But then again you're probably not in electronics in one of the hundred highest risk stores in the company. Its all about perspective.
True. I stay as far away as possible from the front end at Target, but I saw legit reasons fairly often in a grocery store. People bought them for charity raffles, school fundraisers, employee incentives/bonuses. Even a few people who come in every few months and buy $1500 in gift cards to get bonus points on credit cards.

Remember the legal limit on those pre-paid cards is 5 a day per guest, even if they split them into multiple transactions.

According to AP, not high risk but not low risk either.

Then your area must've had a lot of credit card fraud recently or something. I can't imagine why else you'd have to enter the last 4 digits for purchases as low as $60 without being a high risk store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back