What does QMOS and PFRESH mean/stand for?

I always assumed PFresh meant "Partial" Fresh since PFresh stores arent true SuperTargets with the full setup, only the essentials.
Note that PFresh does also stand for a store type/model in this way, not just the specific area within the store.

Pfresh stands for Prototype Fresh. When target started to test it 15+ years ago, it was a new prototype for them since they never carried fresh groceries or expanded dry market section. They wanted to make a one stop shop to capture all of the market that they could. When I started with target I had one valley that was 24ft long of cooler and freezer doors. My grocery section was extremely limited.

If the P means prototype how did Target not manage to change the name a dozen times!
That's not necessarily what they mean by prototype. For instance, especially in the earlier 00s, as Target was expanding in waves, each group of stores shared a similar layout/design/features, and that group was a "prototype". So stores were 'P01', 'P04', etc. prototype 1, prototype 4.

I think remodeled stores get updated i.e. 'P19' but don't quote me on that.

There was a time it was going to be renamed pfab, for fabulous. Please tell me I am not the only one who was told this.

you're correct. current stores are P23/P24 i believe.
P04 was actually the last prototype update for stores until Next Gen & Next Gen 2.0 (dunno why they dropped the P numbering), which came about around 2019.

The next prototype update should be next year but I have no clue what the naming scheme is. It combines a lot of different initiatives like Food Forward (market department is the first department of the store) and center entrance (instead of left/right/both sides entry) among other things

P04 was actually the last prototype update for stores until Next Gen & Next Gen 2.0 (dunno why they dropped the P numbering), which came about around 2019.

The next prototype update should be next year but I have no clue what the naming scheme is. It combines a lot of different initiatives like Food Forward (market department is the first department of the store) and center entrance (instead of left/right/both sides entry) among other things

Also the grocery aisles are longer in the next gen stores.

was actually the last prototype update for stores until Next Gen & Next Gen 2.0 (dunno why they dropped the P numbering), which came about around 2019.
are you sure about this? I swear when we were remodeling and i saw the schematics that it still had the P

Doesn't their fancy new store in Texas still have 2 doors? It's not quite Super sized but definitely larger than pfresh.
With market being first, how does that work in a center door layout?

On another note, Target has a lot of room for improvement if they want to be anywhere near Walmart/local grocers in the food space. From everything I see store side, they aren't making the commitments (mainly $$) to make that happen

Doesn't their fancy new store in Texas still have 2 doors? It's not quite Super sized but definitely larger than pfresh.
With market being first, how does that work in a center door layout?

On another note, Target has a lot of room for improvement if they want to be anywhere near Walmart/local grocers in the food space. From everything I see store side, they aren't making the commitments (mainly $$) to make that happen
They used to. But we threw so much food away from waste and spent way too much payroll staffing for prepping. A sd I had did 2 years special project in KC trying to come up with ways to cut costs to make grocery side profitable.
That’s why we no longer cut our own meat, etc. He couldn’t really figure it out but got promoted to SD anyway. lol.
Then they stopped building supers and went the pfresh route.

Back