22 years and still breathing

What keeps you at spot?
I was a team leader for 11 years. Stepped down 11 years ago and have worked in the food area for 8 years.

I like working in Open Market. I have some autonomy and no one else can do my job (at least as well as me, IMO, of course.)

Retirement is a possibility next year, we'll see.

Welcome back! Some of us are still here.
Spikey’s back!

Last edited:
I'll pass my 22nd year at Spot at the end of the month. Still averaging 40 hours a week.

How long can I go?

What keeps you at spot?
I retired 3 yr ago, was at Target 33 years! Pay wasnt fantastic, but I stayed because of the health insurance, TM discount, 401k, pension, etc, plus I enjoyed the job. Im getting $500 every month from Target on top of my social security and the part time job I have now :) I dont know if they still have the 401k match but if they do then by all means sign up for it you will thank yourself later!! On the rare occasion that I got a TL that I didnt like I would just wait a few months and they were gone..... I was patient and I outlasted them all!!

Last edited:
I retired 3 yr ago, was at Target 33 years! Pay wasnt fantastic, but I stayed because of the health insurance, TM discount, 401k, pension, etc, plus I enjoyed the job. Im getting $500 every month from Target on top of my social security and the part time job I have now :) I dont know if they still have the 401k match but if they do then by all means sign up for it you will thank yourself later!! On the rare occasion that I got a TL that I didnt like I would just wait a few months and they were gone..... I was patient and I outlasted them all!!
I was with my old company for over 30 years and I did the same thing - just reminded myself whenever we had a terrible manager that I just had to be patient and they'd be gone soon enough. They sure could make things unpleasant while they were there though.

If I stick it out with Target until my early retirement age of 55 I will be making 3k a month from my retirement plan and nearly 7k a month if I wait until I'm 65. Definitely worth your while to invest in the 401k if you aren't already. I got lucky and was able to buy Target stock when it was still available with my 401k.

Right now, I'm staying for the medical and life insurance, mainly.

Although I have Medicare, it's still cheaper working to keep medical insurance on my family right now.

I got my $518 monthly Target pension in July, right after I turned 65. I get it the rest of my life. I bought a new car and my pension pays for it.

As I stated in my above post, I like Open Market. I order and 'push' produce, fresh meat, fresh milk, ice, local hot dogs, etc. It's not a team leader position, but it's an important job in the store (as long as they're making a profit, I guess).

I like checking my sales and comparing my area with the rest of the consumables department.

I work all early shifts.

I try to 'shut up' and do my job. Most leaders have no idea how to do my job, so they leave me alone. So it's a win-win situation right now.

I've also outlasted many store managers, ETLs, team leaders, DTLs, Group Directors, Regional Directors, etc. I just got a new ETL last month. He's the fifth one in two years.

Last edited:
Back