Archived A good place for Insurance Information

Status
Not open for further replies.

commiecorvus

Former Signing Ninja
Staff member
Are you one of the people who was cut off from the part time insurance?
Or do you barely qualify for the insurance but it really isn't insurance?

Consumer Reports has a new website that digs through all the crap involved with the new law for every state.
I trust these guys to do a good job.
Consumer Reports has always come through for me and doesn't take money from the government or the insurance companies.

https://www.healthlawhelper.org/

What does it mean that Target is going to give any account dollars in the HSA or HRA? How can you have insurance but not have insurance? The health care system in America is so laughable. I just want the revolution to start already and then maybe some of the greed and corruption that has taken America hostage for decades will die off. Sorry for the rant but I'm mad at what America has turned into. It's sad.

Last yr spot contributed a pretty good amt in the acct. This yr you'll have to EARN it all by doing the stuff you did last yr (health assessment, health screening, etc) plus a few more things.

I remember those quizzes they passed out a couple of years ago comparing the cost of health tests to a color TV or a gaming system.
Now in order for you to get your health benefits you have to take certain 'steps'.
They fine you if you smoke.
Think about it, Spot is training you to be healthy enough not to use their crappy insurance.

Last edited:
And if you don't specify your smoking status, you automatically get chosen as a smoker. It's like they are counting on you to be stupid so they can get a couple hundred dollars from a poor unfortunate soul(cue Ursula from The Little Mermaid). I have had the insurance forever but I have never used it for a doctor visit or anything medical. I use the dental plan but that crap is dirt cheap compared to the medical insurance.

Jack, can you please elaborate on what you mean about what our country has turned into? Thanks! Regarding the smoker topic, yes, they automatically mark you down as if you are a smoker, in part to force people to go in to renew their plan choice from last year, then again, hardly any plan choices remain anymore. Why would you pay for the health insurance, but never use it? You don't even get your annual physical exams? Those are free! So are vaccinations, and other preventative visits.

What does it mean that Target is going to give any account dollars in the HSA or HRA? How can you have insurance but not have insurance?
Last yr spot put $1000 into the HSA & you could earn $150 (or $300 if your spouse participated). This yr there's no contribution from spot - only what you 'earn' jumping thru spot's hoops.
One of those actions is giving United your doctor's info so they can get little e-notes with suggestions for keeping costs down.
Unless you sock aside enough to cover your deductible & out-of-pocket, you'll never reach a level where anything is covered barring a major illness/injury. And they're counting on that.
Welcome to catastrophic care.

So is HRA better than HSA? I have until around 7pm to make any last moves on enrollment. I wound up sticking with the HRA. HSA seems crappy to me.

I think America has turned into a turd of a country. Yes, I am grateful that we have a lot of freedoms and don't have daily barbaric riots and bloodshed. However, I am just annoyed at how America has changed. I'm only 30 but when I was younger, America was way better. The 1990s were awesome. We live in a society in which instant gratification and everyone gets a gold star for everything exist. It's annoying. We put labels on each other too. It's sad.

I choose to sign up for the insurance because of emergencies and now because of Obama aka the 4th term of Bush, I have to have it.

Jack,
HRA is MUCH better than HSA, as HSA has a very high deductible. You actually have until April 1st to enroll, though they won't tell you that. HSA is crappy, good choice! I'm guessing you are a white male from the south? Obama is NOTHING like Bush, Bush was TERRIBLE! The ACA (Affordable Care Act) is a godsend to the poor and low income, not to mention the sick, the older, those with pre existing conditions, etc. By the way, you, and MOST hourly Target employees are very likely eligible for Medicaid (unless you live in a Republican state, they have refused to expand Medicaid), so you won't even have to sign up for Target's terrible coverage unless you make too much money, which mean's 20$/hr or more. I think your blanket statements aren't very helpful. Calling the country a "turd" isn't very descriptive of the problem. What instant gratification are you referring to? And what problem do you have with people getting positive feedback and recognition? There have always been labels, it's time to stop hating blacks, and the label of racist will go again, if people would stop hating gays, the word homophobe would go away, if people would stop hating women, the word sexist would go away, and people need to stop hating the poor. We all need to just love and accept one another for who we are, not who we want others to be =)

Jack,
so you won't even have to sign up for Target's terrible coverage unless you make too much money, which mean's 20$/hr or more.
I don't get this...According to the health care website,
“Affordable” plans and the 9.5% standard
A job-based health plan is considered “affordable” if the employee’s share of premiums for the lowest cost self-only coverage that meets the minimum value standard is less than 9.5% of their family’s income." As you can see it is obviously going to "meet the minimum value standard" since the percentage is with respect to family income. But the insurance target offers (HSA) is still too expensive, costs you about $3000 just for the premium...and you have to pay out of your pocket until you reach the deductible which is quite high. I doubt the insurance at marketplace is going to be this expensive for the amount of health benefits we are receiving through target. Does anyone here have insurance through marketplace instead of target?

I do, but I chose a platinum plan because my wife wanted me to have the best insurance. It's $320 a month.

costs you about $3000 just for the premium

WTF? I have an individual plan (main job I work at is too small to qualify for group plans) and the total premium (including portion that the company pays) is $500 a month for my whole family. Did you mean to type $300?

costs you about $3000 just for the premium
WTF? I have an individual plan (main job I work at is too small to qualify for group plans) and the total premium (including portion that the company pays) is $500 a month for my whole family. Did you mean to type $300?

I meant the whole year, monthly its about $300.

I do, but I chose a platinum plan because my wife wanted me to have the best insurance. It's $320 a month.
Do you get subsidies from the government? Because I read that if your work place offers you insurance and is considered "affordable" you won't receive any. I am just wondering if the insurance is cheaper at marketplace (even without subsidies) than through target (HSA, which is not great).

I did not qualify because the household income was too high. I think bronze was in the 100s and gold the 200s. I was not full time so I just put that my employer stopped offering insurance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back