Archived Advice Column: What You Wish You Learned in Training

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm about to start the very condensed training process of becoming a new TL for one of the new GM positions. This is a first time role at our store and my SD is having me train with three different TLs at another store, in hopes that I'll get enough exposure to anything that may be required for the role. But, I'm sure whatever I learn, it's only going to be a small percentage of what I'll really need to know. The rest will be learned ON THE JOB.

Understanding this, I thought I'd reach out to the expansive community and ask, "What do you wish you learned during your training to be a TL?"

I've been with Spot a long time now and this is my first leadership role. But, don't let my experience dictate your response. I'm sure there's plenty of newbies that will appreciate your insights as well. Any guidance, things to consider, stuff that all leaders should know, tips, tricks or just things that you had to find out the hard way.

Thanks!

Don’t overestimate the value of having the team on your side. Have their backs so they can have yours, and listen to what they have to say. Let them vent, let them make suggestions, let them be heard. Empower them to make decisions. Seek to understand before coaching. Set clear expectations, and make sure the team knows that you will be validating the execution.

Not a TL. But, prove to your team that you can do something before bitching at your team for not doing it. Don't get on their assas about push time unless you can prove you can meet the allotted time. If you can't, be an advocate for your team with higher ups for the hours needed to get things done instead of just telling your team to figure it out.

That's my advice if you want your team to respect you and give a shit about making you look good by getting stuff done.

Not a TL. But, prove to your team that you can do something before bitching at your team for not doing it. Don't get on their assas about push time unless you can prove you can meet the allotted time. If you can't, be an advocate for your team with higher ups for the hours needed to get things done instead of just telling your team to figure it out.

That's my advice if you want your team to respect you and give a shit about making you look good by getting stuff done.
This. Put in the work to demonstrate you can meet the same expectations you’re setting for your team.

Lol a double edged sword what can really drive some results, if you have a lot of caffeine and some lucky well sorted u boats 😂

Don’t overestimate the value of having the team on your side. Have their backs so they can have yours, and listen to what they have to say. Let them vent, let them make suggestions, let them be heard. Empower them to make decisions. Seek to understand before coaching. Set clear expectations, and make sure the team knows that you will be validating the execution.

This. Always validate, validate. Also I recommend spending time with the team, actually doing the work with them. What I always do initially is physically demonstrating to them what I expect, and how I expect it, with both speed, efficiency and attention to detail. Set the bar and expectations for them.

Don’t just tell them what you want, show them. This will bring value to the process. Once you have clear expectations set, validate their executions. Be fair but always consistent with holding your team accountable.

As a recent TM>TL:
Never ask your team to do something you aren’t willing and able to do yourself (unless we’re talking something that falls under ADA). There are certain tasks I hate doing because they’re tedious or time consuming; I will often try to get the team to do these. That said, I am willing to do them if all else fails.

Develop a routine for your team. There are certain tasks that need to be done daily; work these into the routine. Hold your team to these routines, and for the love of god follow up.

Understand that there will NEVER be a perfect day to accomplish any task;it’s going to be up to you to pick a day and ensure it gets done either by doing yourself or pulling one of your team from another task.

Walk into the store everyday with a plan, but remember: “No battle plan survives the first 5 minutes of enemy contact.”

Talk to your ETL/SD about wins & opportunities in your area ASAP. If possible, talk to the TL who preceded you/was over it in between the old TL leaving and you onboarding. Wins are things the team is already doing right; these are routines processes that might need minor tweaks to optimize *at most*. Opportunities would be things the team struggles with or fails to do; this is the stuff you need to pay keen attention to. This is the big one for me; I didn’t know to look for/ask this when I transitioned to TL. If I move departments/stores in the future this is going to be my first move.

As a recent TM>TL:
Never ask your team to do something you aren’t willing and able to do yourself

Almost 8 years ago my former TL told me something on my first day that I feel shaped who I was as a TM, and now as a TL.

“I will never ask you to do something I have not, cannot, or simply will not do. I am no better than you, and everything I ask you guys to do is something that I do myself.”

Not that it is something you’re “trained on,” but I feel it is absolutely imperative that you have that type of mentality when it comes to your leadership and your team.

There is some great advice here, nice job TLeads. I am training a new TL now and will certainly include all this advice.
My 2 cents on the topic:
1. Be humble - if you act too better than and bossy your team will give you grief. I work alongside, listen til I understand and admit when I don’t know but will definitely find the answer.
2. Be fair - fosters teamwork which makes everything so much easier
3. Coach to improve, not punish. Strive to make your tm the best.
4. Maintain a good attendance - you’re letting your team down when you are not there.
5. Demand open communication - from all to all, at both tm and leadership levels- regarding progress, gaps, lapses, when help is needed, successes
6. Plan ahead, it’s very hard to do well under crunch. Days can easily be wasted without a firm plan. You don’t want it to be Friday with only 50% of the work completed for the week ! Share the plan, tm do better if they are involved in knowing what to expect. Leadership can help more if they know what you’re planning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back