Advice for a GM TL

I've been a GM TL for six months now at small-medium volume target. I'm in charge of inbound, toys and seasonal. I did not get much training but I feel like I've been doing a good job, I've gotten a lot of positive feedback from my SD. They also want me to become an ETL which is great but because of this I have a lot more pressure on me I feel.

My store is fairly short staffed which is making me have to step in and do a lot of the workload. I dont mind this and I try to set realistic goals for my team and help them out whenever I can.

Basically what I'm asking is, how do you keep up with the workload with being short staffed but also trying to do all of the little meticulous detailed things that your higher ups want you to do? I struggle to find the time to sit on the computer and go over metrics everyday while there is so much to do. The lack of staffing and hours is making it hard to accomplish all of their projects and goals and I don't want to fail. Idk, any advice would be helpful.

Last edited:
That is how I started . I owned inbound , toys , sport sea ans Plano. The question is how many trucks you get a day/week? How fast do you finish the trucks? You can utilize the team to do the push for those areas while the dbo does the 141 zone and reshop. Right now you have no workload for sea until nov so focus on getting your Halloween out , what are you gonna start with first to set? They pushed mini for Christmas until nov 7 however as an inbound Tl lead you know your freight will be coming in a week early so you want to have all candy out within the next two weeks to much candy in the back? All checklanes should have Halloween candy on them be aggressive .decor will sell faster than candy so you want that out once your endcaps sell out start condensing on those endcap from the babkwalll. Why back wall first because first batch of Christmas 🎄 freight will be green which is your light so you want to have it go straight to floor instead of palletizing . Then work your way from decor down towards mini that’s where you garlands and stocking will go. It’s all about strategy and execution. Everyone is short staff and this might be the worst q4 since no one is really applying. This is your chance to show your strategy, execution and drive .

That is how I started . I owned inbound , toys , sport sea ans Plano. The question is how many trucks you get a day/week? How fast do you finish the trucks? You can utilize the team to do the push for those areas while the dbo does the 141 zone and reshop. Right now you have no workload for sea until nov so focus on getting your Halloween out , what are you gonna start with first to set? They pushed mini for Christmas until nov 7 however as an inbound Tl lead you know your freight will be coming in a week early so you want to have all candy out within the next two weeks to much candy in the back? All checklanes should have Halloween candy on them be aggressive .decor will sell faster than candy so you want that out once your endcaps sell out start condensing on those endcap from the babkwalll. Why back wall first because first batch of Christmas 🎄 freight will be green which is your light so you want to have it go straight to floor instead of palletizing . Then work your way from decor down towards mini that’s where you garlands and stocking will go. It’s all about strategy and execution. Everyone is short staff and this might be the worst q4 since no one is really applying. This is your chance to show your strategy, execution and drive .
so we get 4-5 trucks a week. for my store the inbound team are also the dbo's. on average it takes about 2 hours to unload the truck so we are done by 8AM. Our truck sizes are usually around 1500-2k. this will be my first q4 out on the salesfloor. but I'm really working on being strategic and planning for things accordingly.

Last edited:
That would be a dream to have 4-5 trucks a week. I assume that your team could run a truck on their own , so since you are there before your dbo, break away from the truck to make sure your endcaps are full before store opening . Scan to make sure you are not missing any sale signs are the things that etl and sd would look at. You have candles or decor with 0 on hands and nothing on the way start flexing there make it full and priced . With sea it is all about being aggressive with the freight so you can be ahead of the next set.

Back