Archived Affordable Care Act/Target Health Insurance, no choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to affordable care act, "unless your employer's coverage for an individual is considered unaffordable under the law (that is, if your share of the premiums costs more than 9.5 percent of your household income) or inadequate (picking up less than 60 percent of the cost of covered benefits), you aren't eligible for a government subsidy to help pay for your insurance."

How does this work with Target's HSA/HRA plan? How much is the premium cost for HSA/HRA? Also, I highly doubt the cost is going to be more than "9.5 percent of my household income." But HSA/HRA is not really a good option for someone with family. Having said that, does this mean I have no choice but to get Target's health insurance because without subsidies, insurance in the market place is very costly.

Are there any other health insurance plans you can get from target other than HSA/HRA? Also, when is the open enrollment period?

Lots of questions, any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

As far as what Target is going to offer I'm not sure but mostly likely it will be HSA/HRA plans. Open enrollment is not now but I beleive in March or April. Until then we will find out if new plans will be added and the new higher costs expected because of the new law.

I'm part-time, so I currently have the PPO. I'm afraid that my hours this past year might have been enough to bump me up to full-time...it was getting pretty close as of December. I'm really hoping that I don't end up having to change plans.

Spot doesn't really offer health insurance, they like to call it that but it's not.
You're a lot better off doing the ACA and seeing if their are subsides you can get.
What they offer is really only health bank accounts and those are pretty limited.
They might have changed since I was there last but I really doubt it.

Oh and welcome to The Break Room Tekneek.

Last edited:
I know that new hires will have to wait a full year to be eligible for benefits with the new law. Target decided this to offset having to offer insurance to other team members. As for the options spot offers, they aren't that great. The
deductibles are very high even with the money that target gives you in the account. I guess thats the cost of insurance but i do wish they would offer more options.

I'm covered under my mom's insurance until May, I think. I'll be 26, then. I guess that's how it works.

I qualify for medicaid, though with no premiums or copays. Not sure who takes medicaid, but at least I'll be able to go to planned parenthood for lady junk.

I don't like the idea of an hsa, so I wouldn't take Target's insurance either way. Also, I'm not sure why I even qualify for Target's insurance.

I'm covered under my mom's insurance until May, I think. I'll be 26, then. I guess that's how it works.

I qualify for medicaid, though with no premiums or copays. Not sure who takes medicaid, but at least I'll be able to go to planned parenthood for lady junk.

I don't like the idea of an hsa, so I wouldn't take Target's insurance either way. Also, I'm not sure why I even qualify for Target's insurance.

If you have Medicaid, you should be using it as a secondary insurance. You need to have reported that you are covered under another insurance company. What that means is that your parent's insurance will pay first, submit the remaining amount to Medicaid, Medicaid will pay whatever is still owed after you have paid your copay (if you have one). Target accepts Medicaid. You should probably learn about how hsa's work since it will probably be how most insurance will work in the future.

If you have Medicaid, you should be using it as a secondary insurance. You need to have reported that you are covered under another insurance company. What that means is that your parent's insurance will pay first, submit the remaining amount to Medicaid, Medicaid will pay whatever is still owed after you have paid your copay (if you have one). Target accepts Medicaid. You should probably learn about how hsa's work since it will probably be how most insurance will work in the future.

I don't have medicaid. I qualify. Literally did the app on healthcare.gov 2 minutes before I posted that. Will probably go that route when I'm cut off of my mom's insurance. I only pay $15 copays for most things, $6 for shrink visits, free nuvaring, cheap skin potions (that I'm stocking up on). It's really no big.

I understand how the hsa works, but I don't want it. When I spoke to the healthcare hotline folks back in October, they quoted $28 per paycheck pour moi. That's less than 9.5% of my annual income, but until I realized I was losing my mom's good insurance, I hadn't seen any doctors in years. The penalty for being uninsured in 2014 is only $95. Being uninsured this year costs less.

After some janky research, discovered it's possible I'll be covered until it's time for my mom to renew her insurance opposed to losing it abruptly, when the clock Ss midnight on the anniversary of my birth. Here's hoping.

I'm part-time, so I currently have the PPO. I'm afraid that my hours this past year might have been enough to bump me up to full-time...it was getting pretty close as of December. I'm really hoping that I don't end up having to change plans.
that's me, also...except unless I get no hours the next few weeks I will be bumped up to the damn full time crap insurance

I can't get anything from the ACA because I don't make enough. I only qualify for Medicaid. If Target offers us other plans, I'd be more than willing to take them over this HSA/HRA crap. Do you get the money back by the way if you leave the company?

What about the subsidies for the people who don't make enough money?
I know there are states that are being smegheads about helping people negotiate all of this but there are ways of making the insurance work even if you don't make much.
Especially if you don't make much.
Expanding the Medicaid is just one of the ways.

What about the subsidies for the people who don't make enough money?
I know there are states that are being smegheads about helping people negotiate all of this but there are ways of making the insurance work even if you don't make much.
Especially if you don't make much.
Expanding the Medicaid is just one of the ways.

I would go on Medicaid, but I would have to technically not be working and I can't live at home. I have an apartment, but I can't really afford it (parents are helping with that) because they cut my hours.

I can't get anything from the ACA because I don't make enough. I only qualify for Medicaid. If Target offers us other plans, I'd be more than willing to take them over this HSA/HRA crap. Do you get the money back by the way if you leave the company?

You get to keep the money (and the account) in the HSA even if you leave the company. You lose whatever is in the HRA if you leave.

I have medically needy Medicaid. Until my medical bills exceed $642/mo, they don't pay anything, after that, they pay it all.

Try to find somewhere that will take that.... And I'm against using the emergency room unless I'm dying.

I did have Medicaid for 2 whole months... Until they added in my wages from spot. I managed to get to the eye doctor and get new glasses for the first time in close to 5 years. Mucho needed working in the pharmacy.

I don't even make $642/mo.

I have medically needy Medicaid. Until my medical bills exceed $642/mo, they don't pay anything, after that, they pay it all.
Try to find somewhere that will take that.... And I'm against using the emergency room unless I'm dying.
I did have Medicaid for 2 whole months... Until they added in my wages from spot. I managed to get to the eye doctor and get new glasses for the first time in close to 5 years. Mucho needed working in the pharmacy.
I am sorry to hear about your status. Don't forget to get your wellness checkup for 150.00 freebie.

Come on, spot step up to the plate. You can do better than this.

I am sorry to hear about your status. Don't forget to get your wellness checkup for 150.00 freebie.

Come on, spot step up to the plate. You can do better than this.
Thanks. I know not of the Wellness checkup - does everyone qualify for that?

I thought I was going to make it to the one walk-in clinic in the town north of me that would take it to get a check-up - but then life intervened over the holidays. Gasp, I had to work and deal with ex-husband crap.

I need to try the marketplace again - they couldn't process my app last time I tried. I have no idea what the problem was, but it wasn't going thru at all. They were supposed to email me when I could pick something. I'd love to have something that let me just pay $25 for doctor visits if sick, and a share of any prescriptions. I don't want/need them to be free you know? Let me (and others) "own" a part of the coverage. But then help me out if a major issue arises.

That is how I look at the coverage I have now - if something major hits, I know my kids won't lose the roof over their head. Which is the most important thing for me. Or if I got really sick i'd suck it up and go to the ER if I had too. Knock on wood I have been able to take care of everything that has come up at home.

Meanwhile, I take a lot of vitamin D in the winter - I'm a big believer in it, i've seen everyones sick level decrease/go away while taking it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back