Archived Alcohol and Group Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperAwesome

Old Man On Duty
I just have a quick question that I'd like a proper answer to:

Suppose a group of guests come in together and attempt to buy some alcohol and the following conditions are true:
  • There are three people all checking out together in one transaction,
  • The guest paying for the transaction does not have his ID/is potentially underage,
  • The buyer's friend offers his ID in substitute for his friend's,
  • A pack of beer is involved.

What would be the proper course of action for a cashier to make?

Thanks in advance, guys!:pardon:

Last edited:
the store I worked at that sold beer the rule was too check everybody in the party's ID unless it was obvious parent/child

At my store, you only check the ID of the person paying. It doesn't matter if they're in a group.

this is covered in the cashier training guide. i can't remember though... but i do know in our state you have to card everyone in the party, target rule or not.

It may vary by state to state. In my state, if a group is together and you have reason to believe that the alcohol is to be shared or that they are pooling money, you're to card everyone. If one person can't provide valid ID, you call the GSTL over to refuse the sale.

After I had to refuse a 60+ lady because she didn't have her ID, her daughter offered hers but she refused: "H-ll no! Wait'll the girls at Bunco hear about THIS!"

I'm not 100% sure of the law in my state, but the cashier training guide says that whoever is paying has to show their ID. If the group is splitting the bill, then they all have to show ID, even though the system will only ask for one ID.

We only ask for ID of the purchaser. I was told that DTL that asking everyone in the group would require that we ask everyone including children; otherwise, we would be making that decision difficult for the cashiers. Do you ask those that look 15 with their moms but not the 9 year olds? How about the 19 year olds with their dads? If they're 19, with an older friend, do we refuse the sale? So to make it easier and less discriminatory, we ask only the person paying the bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back