Archived All Female Management?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our only male member of management put in his two weeks notice because he couldn't stand his job anymore, the entire rest of the management staff is female, including the last 3 management hires in the store, I don't mean for this post to sound sexist or anything but isn't there some rule about diversity in management?

I don't want to get too into details about what's happening in the store but as I can tell they treated our last male manager terrible, and only has negative things to say about the job now that he has decided to leave. The management seems to be turning into a girls club. It's not terrible though and it doesn't much effect me and my position, but most of my closer co workers can't help but comment on it, so I thought I would ask here. :3

Last year we have an all girls ETL.

Hot, young, beautiful ETLs.

No one complained.

They're doing their job which is why no one complained.

Our sister store in the district has an all girls ETL team and almost all girl TL team. Only the overnight log TL and one of the Gstls is a guy. I know some people in our district would bag on that store a lot since some people don't think women can do a better job then their male counterparts but there metrics have been insane the last year since the store has been with that team. It use to be the worst store in our district and now it's top three for sure. My store on the other hand is about 50/50 though.

my store is about 50/50 ETL and 75/25 with TL....male to female ratio. But as some have seen in my rants...err, posts...that isn't to my STL's liking. Most of these were in place before he was here. He would prefer male, young and black.

Our new STL is slowly making our store all female ETLs, we used to be 75% male, since the new STL was hired we have lost 1 male, 1 female, and gained a position, all 3 were filled by females so now are closer to 50 50

We have mostly male ETLs, though our STL is female. Only one minority: an ETL of Hispanic descent. TLs are fairly close to even.

I'd set my phone ring tone to "locked out of heaven" and have it go off when one of them cute etls come by ;)

3 stores, 6 years, probably seen or worked with a 100 or so different ETLs at this point; vast majority of them have been pretty, young, and white women. I'm not sure if there's a sorority mentality pervading the college campus recruiting but store management of this company is starting to look like a Gap commercial...

Same at my store too, Target is pedigree based not merit based, due to on campus recruiting. On the flip side all of my female etls and tls all have humanities degrees, and not something difficult like finance, accounting, and engineering. They don't even have real degrees haha, they have sociology or psychology type degrees.

Same at my store too, Target is pedigree based not merit based, due to on campus recruiting. On the flip side all of my female etls and tls all have humanities degrees, and not something difficult like finance, accounting, and engineering. They don't even have real degrees haha, they have sociology or psychology type degrees.

Please explain how sociology isn't a "real" degree. Also, psychology isn't a valid subject either?

Sure, those subjects often start from a position of bias and isn't a "hard" science like chemistry or genetics, etc.

It doesn't negate the fact that those two respective fields can be useful in terms of understanding how to interact with others, observe behaviors, etc

Management isn't just about crunching numbers -- it's also about inspiring the uninspired. Not to mention extracting the maximum amount of productivity from people using social engineering.

Also, the idea that buying a 4 year degree automatically qualifies said person to effectively manage and lead your team? It's laughable at best. It's a retail store! This shot should be merit based or on actual experience.

Getting drunk and doing coke lines off the glass table with your sorority girls over the period of 4 years doesn't count. (Holy generalizing Batman!)

You guys need to stop hating on campus recruiting. Get out of target if you've been there long enough to be bossed around by someone who is new to the store.

Please explain how sociology isn't a "real" degree. Also, psychology isn't a valid subject either?

Sure, those subjects often start from a position of bias and isn't a "hard" science like chemistry or genetics, etc.

It doesn't negate the fact that those two respective fields can be useful in terms of understanding how to interact with others, observe behaviors, etc

Management isn't just about crunching numbers -- it's also about inspiring the uninspired. Not to mention extracting the maximum amount of productivity from people using social engineering.

Let's not distract from the actual issue here....

Yes, there is some debate about how legit it is to require a degree and zero experience. (especially if said degree is from an online school that may be a diploma mill, or if the ETL barely made it through college and had an extremely poor GPA)

However, the actual issue is that I think it is pretty damn clear that over the past few years there has been massive sexism/racism/age discrimination going on with ETL recruiting.

When I was a Playstation Rep, I literally had 17 Target stores in my territory. I had to speak to ETLs constantly at those stores. Literally 99% of the ETLs I dealt with were young, female, white, and *very* attractive physically. (also, most of them came across as dumb as a brick and the kind of idiot that will blindly do as they are told....)

You cannot tell me that is just a coincidence. Over the past few years, there have been constant news stories saying that tons of college grads are being forced to take minimum wage jobs at Burger King and similar places. Given that fact, I do not believe for a moment that only young, white, and female college grads are applying for a job that is designed for new college grads and pays $50,000 to start.

Now, this is in contrast to the Wal-Mart, Best Buys, and Gamestops I had in my territory. They *all* had a very diverse mix of managers that I dealt with. Not only were they much more diverse, I would say that only about 15% of them would qualify as "highly physically attractive".... as opposed to what I would have to say 99% of Target ETLs meeting that description. Also, most of the other companies managers were much older.

There is something wrong going on with Target ETL recruitment.... anyone who doesn't see it is completely naive.

Last edited:
In the district I first worked in, we had one store that was about staffed about 75% by females. Then most of them were openly gay; even a friend of mine. The only trouble with that store was that there was always in-store dating drama. Because I knew a number of them, I would hear stories of this TL was sleeping with this TM. Then another TM the next week.

I'm sorry, I'm making good money doing an enjoyable job in my field with my psychology bachelors.

I'm sorry, I'm making good money doing an enjoyable job in my field with my psychology bachelors.

If you dont mind what Job are you working. I have my Bachelors in Psych as well as HR since alot of the classes counted towards both. Been trying to get into HR but no luck =( and it seems most things that psychology would work for either require a Masters or PHD or more of the sociology and social work type classes.

Way to hate on the social sciences, Sheldon Cooper.

hot college girls are targets "brand" but the real reason they are hiring college grads with no experience is because they can over work them and pay them way less than someone who has experience. when you have 100-200k in student loans to pay off you are much less likely to walk away from your job or make a fuss about uncompetitive pay or treatment, the same is true of home owners vs renters who could face eviction.

at my store all the GSA's and GSTLs are female and about 75 percent of the ETLs are females fresh from college, and while they are nice they have absolutely zero leadership skills. literally everyday i go to work etls and gstls will talk **** about coworkers within earshot of me and other team members.

and yes it is depressing to see people that has worked at my store for 10-20 years get bossed around and told how to do their job by some first time retail worker who got their job do the their brand image versus having any actual merit but that is never going to change unless some direct organization from team members happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back