Archived Am I the worst?

Status
Not open for further replies.
going on 8 months in my ETL role, and honestly, can't do t much longer. Trying to make it a full year.

I just hate that I'm complaining about the toll it's taking on my body and personal life when I know there's awesome folks out there older than I am, with kids, who make it work.

I just don't know if I'm cut out for it.

Any advice on better managing the work life balance, and/or how to bring it up to STL/DTL?

Spot is very good at dangling carrots at new etl hires. What is your position & does your stl support you?

Are you an etl hr? Sounds like the support for the position is dying...

I just hate that I'm complaining about the toll it's taking on my body and personal life when I know there's awesome folks out there older than I am, with kids, who make it work.

Everyone is wired differently. Some ETLs can go home right away and decompress. I have an STL friend who is a zombie at home because she's so stressed. She hardly interacts with her kids.

Fuck life. Make your money now, live later.

Ironic coming from the guy who says screw Target. With kids it's not that simple. Working 60 hour weeks is time with your kids you never get back.

No, you're not the worst. This just may not be the job for you and that's okay. Retail isn't for everyone. If you don't like it, now's the time to hunt for something better and get out if you can.
We had a young ETL in our store that just couldn't take it. The stress from the job was just more than she could handle and she had no life outside of work. She saved up a few months pay and ducked out and went job hunting. People told her she was crazy or stupid. I told her she was young, not married, and didn't have kids. Now was the time to find what she loved when there was no one counting on her but her. And let me tell you, she loves her new job. Smiles a whole lot more. If you ask me, it was the best decision she ever made for her and really that's what matters. This is about you, not anyone else. Whatever you do, do what's best for you. It's your life, no one else's.

Well 1 year as assistant manager sounds better on a resume than less than a year, you'd still quit before 4Q where the real suck begins, but if you don't want to deal with it anymore then so be it.

If being an etl isn't your cup of tea...it doesn't mean you are bad person/employee. Simply means you could be better suited for something else. Talking to stls about these things can be tricky. Depends on the stl...some will offer support/advice while some would use it against you down the road if then can.

It might not be for you. No shame in that. Still, that's 8 months of managerial experience in retail you can add to your collection for the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back