Archived Any way to deal with unproductive Sr.TL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EagleEye

Executive Team Leader
We have a Sr. HLTL that spends a huge amount of time off-stage "planning". He is usually sitting in TSC with pogs out in front of him but talking to the HRTM or ETL-HR. They all seem like pretty good friends so I would assume he's protected from any type of punishment, and he also seems to be fast tracked since he was a HLTM before promoting to Sr. I would say the breakdown of his time seems to be about 30% off stage in TSC, another 30% sitting the HR office, and the rest is taking his break or setting sales planners.

He never knows what to do on his LOD shifts either. If we have an issue and call him up he just says "Go to 4" then tells us "do what you need to do so I don't have to come up", and half the time he's just at TSC anyway.

Approach the ETL-Salesfloor. Have specific instances, not broad statements like "he spends 30% of his time off-stage". Have something like "On Monday, during his 10-6 shift, he spent 3 hours off-stage planning salesplanners, which should have only taken 30 minutes. In addition, this was done in another team members work place(TMSC) impacting the performance of the HR-TM. As a result, CAF's were not complete, the HR-TM didn't finish the schedule on time, and he missed multiple price audits"

Make you you state the consequences of his actions. Workcenters impacted, procedures not complete, responsiblities not done.

You're going to have to have quite a few instances like this as well to get your ETL involved. Otherwise it's just going to look like you're whining.

Thanks for the advice. I know I shouldn't have to keep tabs just to have something to tell my ETL-SF, but I might have to just keep more of a global awareness. Lot's of other people notice the same thing so luckily I'm not alone.

I'm dying of laughter, he sounds like a terrible Senior TL!! My heart goes out to you though, hopefully you can get it well documented and a better team leader soon.

I'm dying of laughter, he sounds like a terrible Senior TL!! My heart goes out to you though, hopefully you can get it well documented and a better team leader soon.
We have 2 other seniors who are amazing, are always out on the floor and get their stuff done on time. They've all been with the company about the same amount of time, so I don't think he has an excuse.

It's hard as a TM to voice your concerns about the productivity of a TL unless ETLs are looking for that feedback. The words of many will be more powerful than the words of few. As an ETL, you have to sift through a lot of complaints to determine if they are true or just a complaint because they don't like the person. If several TMs have the same complaint then I start looking into it. If I notice something I ask TMs about their experiences with that TL.

I had an unproductive BRTL. The dayside ETL team hated him and so did the backroom team. I worked overnight so it was hard to watch what he did but I would give him feedback on how he was being perceived by his team and what he needed to do to improve. I noticed that the team was more productive when he was off. So eventually he was termed.

If you want to complain to the ETL just make sure you have other TMs who feel the same way. TLs and ETLs shouldn't spend too much time in the back, especially on their LOD shifts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back