Any ideas on what the PG45 to ETL pay increase is looking like these days?

busyzoningtoys

Finally almost getting paid enough.
Any idea what the offers are looking like for a PG45 promoting to ETL? Current pay is about $6/hr over TL base which I don’t remember, I think is $22 or $22.50/hr, multiple TL roles over the past 5 years, has the support of SDs, DSD, and some BPs. Moderately high volume store and district, and high ETL turnover in the district. From what I’m hearing, the lowest paid ETLs in the area are making around $75k.

I thought I’d seen somewhere on Reddit they were offered a 51% increase on the prior 12 months pay, but I can’t find the post. Can anyone confirm anything along those lines? It does seem to be in line with what I’ve been told not to accept any less than by an SD, BP, and longtime ETL, who’ve mentioned not taking less than $80k, and trying to get $84-86k.

Does anyone have any insight they can share? Or access to some more specific data? None of the ETL HRs I’ve talked to have been at all helpful, it’s as if they’ve been instructed to tell people the same line “Starting ETL pay is around $68k right now” 🤦🏻‍♂️ I didn’t find anything new/relevant enough on here, especially since we’re now in the era of Target “investing in internal talent” lol

Starting ETL at 68k was for base pay in the lowest scope ETL role (S&E) and for intern conversions to permeant. I wouldn't take anything nearly that low as a promotion.

There’s no way I would even consider it, at the old “50 hours a week for ETLs”, that would be what I’d make at my current pay if I got that overtime 🤦🏻‍♂️

Last edited:
I’m wondering this as well. I passed my interviews last week & waiting to hear if there’s a definite opening in my district but don’t want to take anything too low when I’m the most tenured & capable lead my current store has.

That's a small gap. An ETL who can manage to only work 50 hours per week ends up making only $26.92/hour to earn $70k/year. At 55 hours per week, that drops it down to $24.48/hr.
That is correct. Didn’t say it was fair but that’s what it is. TLs are paid extremely high compared to the rest of our group and salaried positions are approved at a group and regional level. Last fall when the minimum was put to $28 ETLs were still starting at 65k for us and it took a few months for them to raise it to 70k. At the end of the day TLs are taking home 58k and ETLs 70k starting so your paycheck is a lot bigger but I get the hourly thing.

Technically ETLs salary is based off 40 hours when calculated though since they are exempt workers. If you look at an ETLs paystub is says 40 hours.

The pay gap is definitely shitty and I don’t agree but that’s also a minimum, most ETLs make way more than that in our district and can increase their salary a lot faster than a TL can with off cycle raises and payouts.

Last edited:
Tenure plays a part in the equation they use. I'm 20 years in and got 80k. Other internal promotes with less than 5 years in only got 65k. It varies based on current pay, tenure, and market.

I’m wondering this as well. I passed my interviews last week & waiting to hear if there’s a definite opening in my district but don’t want to take anything too low when I’m the most tenured & capable lead my current store has.
That's a small gap. An ETL who can manage to only work 50 hours per week ends up making only $26.92/hour to earn $70k/year. At 55 hours per week, that drops it down to $24.48/hr.
Etls should not work more than 8h

That is correct. Didn’t say it was fair but that’s what it is. TLs are paid extremely high compared to the rest of our group and salaried positions are approved at a group and regional level. Last fall when the minimum was put to $28 ETLs were still starting at 65k for us and it took a few months for them to raise it to 70k. At the end of the day TLs are taking home 58k and ETLs 70k starting so your paycheck is a lot bigger but I get the hourly thing.

Technically ETLs salary is based off 40 hours when calculated though since they are exempt workers. If you look at an ETLs paystub is says 40 hours.

The pay gap is definitely shitty and I don’t agree but that’s also a minimum, most ETLs make way more than that in our district and can increase their salary a lot faster than a TL can with off cycle raises and payouts.
When you put in time off as etl you can only do 8h for each day . So if you work 50-55h that’s on you as an etl

When you put in time off as etl you can only do 8h for each day . So if you work 50-55h that’s on you as an etl
That’s why I said your pay is based of 40 hours. Your employment agreement is 50 hours though. That’s part of the entire reason there is an active class action against target for an ETL claiming Target miss classifies ETL’s ad exempt

10 is still the standard for my group. It's expected but you can get away with less.
Yeah not sure why they think otherwise. It’s the standard for the company unless you’re in a pilot district who started a test last year to see what would happen if ETL‘s and store directors only worked 40 hours. Pretty sure they kiboshed it though so we will not probably isn’t relevant.

Our ETL's are scheduled 4x10's (generally go over though due to meetings, etc.). Inbound TL's also do 4x10's.

ETL employment contracts literally say 50 hours though. Workday only letting you input 8 hours a day is moot considering hours aren't tracked in the system for exempts anyways. If you wanna look at it another way, EITs get paid hourly and are paid at the hourly rate that would be equivalent to their salary while working 50 hours a week.

ETL employment contracts literally say 50 hours though. Workday only letting you input 8 hours a day is moot considering hours aren't tracked in the system for exempts anyways. If you wanna look at it another way, EITs get paid hourly and are paid at the hourly rate that would be equivalent to their salary while working 50 hours a week.
I guess it depends of the Sd because neither my Sd or our 12 etls works more than 7-8h

I guess it depends of the Sd because neither my Sd or our 12 etls works more than 7-8h

The fact that you have 12 ETLs may also have something to do with them only working 8 hour shifts; most stores don't have anywhere close to that- my store has 3 (4 if you count the SD too). The less ETLs (or TLs or TMs) a store has the more they will be expected to work in a day because lower volume stores generally have to work with a mentality that everyone pitches in anywhere when possible to keep things running smoothly.

I do think it depends on the SD and Covid also changed things in that regard as well. At my current store, we aren’t expected to work more than 8 hours and there’s only 4 of us, 5 if we include AP plus our SD. I have stayed a lot longer due to random situations but it’s not a common occurrence.

One of most first interviews in college where they told me I had a 30 minutes for a lunch AND had to be there an hour before and after every shift.

A hard pass there.

Years later I heard these plant got sued for big bucks because of workers were over riding safety protocols and management ignored it.

Our ETL's are scheduled 4x10's (generally go over though due to meetings, etc.). Inbound TL's also do 4x10's.
Overnight that tends to be a benefit. Again it’s not a requirement or a necessity but I have seen a lot of stores give overnight leaders both ETLs and TLs 4 day weeks. When I was an ETL I always gave my overnight TLs 4 10s. They worked 4 on 3 off to give them the best work life balance you can get as an overnight leader in retail. Helped a ton with retention too.

Back