Archived Anyone actually LOVE their job?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love working with the people I work with they are a great bunch. I will say this much it wasn't what used to be a year ago....

Do I love my job? This is not a "yes" or "no" question and that is what makes it hard to answer.

I am a cashier, but I have worked in other areas of my store and I currently am able to pick-up shifts in many areas...assuming that there are shifts on the swap sheet.

I love being a cashier. I love the guests 98% of the time. I love the interaction I have with my guests. I love having people that enjoy seeing me and look forward to coming to check-out in my line.....I love what I do.

However, I don't enjoy coming to work because of a GSTL in my store. In fact, many days I dread going in. I don't like how I am being treated by some of my TMs. I don't like being told that what I'm doing is "not good enough."

I think that store communication really stinks. I think that Target asks way too much of the TMs that they have, but if they hired more TMs, then so much could be better. I think that a lot of the labor hours are misused. But fixing the labor hours and having enough TMs is something way out of my control....and this makes me sad.

If there were a few things that could change.....like close to 40 hours a week and another $2.00 per hour.....I think that I could really love a lot more about Target.

Target used to have a great sense of responsibility to its TMs and to their guests and used to value them (TMs and Guests). But now, I question the focus of the company. As money has become more central to the pocketbooks of the leadership and shareholders, the whole morale and desire to be "the best company ever" continues to wane. Soon Target will be just another "big box store" and all its creativity and cutting edge style will be lost....and soon, people will come to Target, not because if its innovative ways, but they'll come because it will be the only choice....it will be "better than Walmart."

Knowing these things, it starts to make it a bit more difficult to love what I do. It also has become more difficult to be proud to say "I work at Target."

ever since i went to backroom from flow, things got better, i got tired of the slack and bull$hit that i had experienced on the flow team, backroom day specifically is my favorite out of everything, rare encounters with guests, i get to move at my own pace, and i get MAD recognition by everyone when i work, on flow i was always mad and pissed off, but now its alot different, the backroom is pritty much my baby lol i actually care about it.

but overall, target in general is a good place, try working at a metal foundry in the worst part of Los Angeles, and not get ANY recognition, NO breaks, 30 MINUTE LUNCHES, $HITTIER PAY, NO ONE gives a single F**k about you, and you go home covered in black $hit...

the switch from this place to target is like i walked into heaven

my message: dont take target for granted, you can end up with a WAY worser job like i had or no job at all

Last edited:
As Pell said, it's hardly a yes or no answer.
I have favorite guests whose approach brings a smile to my face. There are certain tasks that give me a sense of satisfaction when accomplished.
Then there are the guests I actively avoid & the policies that seem nothing more than an exercise in being petty.
Then there are the days that someone asks if I like where I'm working & I reply "Ask me tomorrow".

I really do love my job, and I have been with Target a VERY long time.

I do not like the direction the company is heading, and the current leadership at my building.

If only my office was a bit further from the building.

I don't hate it. The actual work doesn't bother me. I like most of the people I work with. Most of my TLs/ETLs are nice. I feel like I come across enough nice customers to balance out all the awful ones.

But... I don't get enough hours and we're often understaffed. Overworked and underpaid.

I enjoy working pfresh alot, but between the store being understaffed, my hours being slashed to where im making $350 less a month, yes $350!!, and being way overworked and unrealistic expectations has been slowly liking it less and less each shift.

I enjoy working pfresh alot, but between the store being understaffed, my hours being slashed to where im making $350 less a month, yes $350!!, and being way overworked and unrealistic expectations has been slowly liking it less and less each shift.

Did you apply for partial unemployment? Usually when you do your hours mysteriously reappear.

Did you apply for partial unemployment? Usually when you do your hours mysteriously reappear.

No way they reappear. The gutted pfresh 3 hours a day, and before that we still werent there til 10 closing. It is now 8am to 8pm with closers getting only 4 hours now. It was 6 or 6 1/2 hours of closing before. Also only get to open once a week for 7.5 hours, while my CTL works 5 morning shifts in market.

My newest schedule I have about 25 hours as a PA, and 9 of those hours are from C+S push. horray for 16 hours total in pfresh as a PA.

Last edited:
I enjoy it and the people I work with

But lately it's been terribly stressful. Expectations and workload keeps going up and hours just keep vanishing. I haven't finished my workload in about 3 weeks. My area looks like a complete and utter mess because we have no one. Time that I used to spend keeping it up to brand is now spent away doing the job of 4 people. But no pay raise. And it kills me to see that the TM's coming into work with a look of sadness because they know it's going to be a horrible day. And my peers are walking around like shells of a person. Even my ETL's have a look of complete sadness and hopelessness. It used to be a fun time to come into work. These days it's like going to a graveyard.

I enjoy it and the people I work with

But lately it's been terribly stressful. Expectations and workload keeps going up and hours just keep vanishing. I haven't finished my workload in about 3 weeks. My area looks like a complete and utter mess because we have no one. Time that I used to spend keeping it up to brand is now spent away doing the job of 4 people. But no pay raise. And it kills me to see that the TM's coming into work with a look of sadness because they know it's going to be a horrible day. And my peers are walking around like shells of a person. Even my ETL's have a look of complete sadness and hopelessness. It used to be a fun time to come into work. These days it's like going to a graveyard.

Funny you should say that. One of my fellow TMs made a similar comment today about it not being fun anymore and it sucks

Heres how I like to put it.

Oh you're new and you think Target is awesome? Just wait.....

3t7da8.jpg

The job itself is nothing amazing, but as it is my first job I have nothing to compare it to and feel that it is pretty fair, and sometimes can be enjoyable. Aside from being my daily workout session, going to work provides structure to my day, and I really enjoy the hours, i.e. coming in at 4:30 in the morning. The rest of the day is mine to use.

Communication can be sub-par, and sometimes it feels that things are imposed against my will (such as being moved entirely to infants out of nowhere-though i've gotten used to it.)

Additionally, this job can be somewhat stressful/ not ideal for someone like me who is socially awkward/ or has "social anxiety" but it's actually helped a bit with that and I'm trying to work on it. But this is my own problem and does not stem from the workplace or people

Additionally, this job can be somewhat stressful/ not ideal for someone like me who is socially awkward/ or has "social anxiety" but it's actually helped a bit with that and I'm trying to work on it. But this is my own problem and does not stem from the workplace or people

I dealt with this when I was hired as a cashier. I originally applied for sales floor, but I think cashing has helped me a lot with it over time.

As much as I complain about my job, I really DO enjoy it....LOVE it? Some days I do, other days, not so much, but I think that's true of ANY job you have. If I didn't "love" it, I wouldn't still be here because I'm one of the "lucky ones"....my family doesn't "depend" on my income, it's pretty much "fun money" to use to "plump up" their college funds, toys for our vacation home, sports gear, dinners out (so mom doesn't have to cook, and we all know, if momma ain't happy, ain't NOBODY happy~LOL! ;) )

I wouldn't say I love my job, but I guess I don't hate it either or I wouldn't have stuck around for so long.

I love my job now. I used to work nights as ERT. It's taken me time to get here but now I'm dayside and I'm doing much more interesting and varied tasks. It makes a difference or it does at least for me. :)

Now that I don't have to depend on it and I get the hours (15-20) a week I want, the job doesn't bother me as much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back