Anyone left Target and miss it?

I worked for Target for 15 years.. started overnight when I was working in high school, made my way to a senior team leader before I took a demotion to move closer to be with my sick father. Eventually my store closed down and was transferred to a different but it didn't feel the same. Going from a store where everyone knew each for 10-15 years to different store just didn't feel the same for me. After being burned out in retail for so long, I went on a leave and just didn't come back..

anywho.. today I stepped back in a Target in a over a year and half since I left and was quite shocked. A liquor store (weird), Pallets on the floor (weirder), and overhead music (weirdest)

but the store is absolutely gorgeous, aisles are more spaced out, way better lighting, the store was a Super Target and the I really liked the design accent of the market section.

I kind of miss the grind of retail strangely enough, especially the holiday season... I loved the hard work, I just got tired of it.

Lol I came back so yes?

I did 7 years and got to TL when it got shitty and left. I came back part time after having kids and am not taking part in the rat race this time.

No. I've worked at Target 3 different times since 2014. Once a permanent hire, once strictly as a holiday seasonal, and once as a seasonal hired on permanently. While it's been amazing that wages have grown from $7.75 to now $15/hr, the workload has obviously grown as well.

I never had a problem with the increased workload. However, the pressure to get it all done was relentless. The last time I left I was given TL tasks and no more pay than my peers, and was starting to have TL accountability (stress). Um, no.

Earlier this year, I stepped back into my last store after 11 years. Honestly I hate this new concept. It is a low volume/small scale store and there is merchandise in the aisles and it was hard to get around. The market aisles seemed more cramped.

Do I miss Target. I only miss some of the people I used worked with. I hated the Exec team for my last 3 years. Incompetent and petty. They would stab you in the back at a moments notice just for fun. My first store and team were awesome.

There are times I panic because I just realized I missed a Target shift. Then I realize I just had a nightmare.

I'm lucky in that I'm at a point now where my job isn't my life and doesn't define me. I don't want to move up and be the boss, I don't want 40 hours, I've learned to let go of my expectations of perfection (for the most part, lol).

I'm not looking for best friends, I'm not trying to stand around shooting the shit with half the store. I go in, do my four or five hours, get as much done as I can without overtaxing or stressing myself, and go home.

Someone is willing to pay me 15 bucks an hour to straighten up and put out stock, and I'm fine with that!

I really only miss the team member discount but can use my friend's permanent retirement discount. I do however like the discounts at the grocery store I work at. I saved $28 on what would have been $50 worth of groceries this past Saturday.

I really only miss the team member discount but can use my friend's permanent retirement discount. I do however like the discounts at the grocery store I work at. I saved $28 on what would have been $50 worth of groceries this past Saturday.
That sounds like a very good discount on groceries.

I worked for Target for 15 years.. started overnight when I was working in high school, made my way to a senior team leader before I took a demotion to move closer to be with my sick father. Eventually my store closed down and was transferred to a different but it didn't feel the same. Going from a store where everyone knew each for 10-15 years to different store just didn't feel the same for me. After being burned out in retail for so long, I went on a leave and just didn't come back..

anywho.. today I stepped back in a Target in a over a year and half since I left and was quite shocked. A liquor store (weird), Pallets on the floor (weirder), and overhead music (weirdest)

but the store is absolutely gorgeous, aisles are more spaced out, way better lighting, the store was a Super Target and the I really liked the design accent of the market section.

I kind of miss the grind of retail strangely enough, especially the holiday season... I loved the hard work, I just got tired of it.

As a former replen sr, the pallets on the floor still make me itch.

I work from home now and make three times as much so I definitely don't miss it though.

My friends and my team, my store’s awesome former management team and the old “Fast, Fun and Friendly” Target, yep, missed them. I even missed the adrenaline rush of Black Friday and the Holiday season. The rest of the hellhole my store had degraded into, oh, Hell no, don’t miss that. At all. Ever.😁

I'll admit, it's a little shocking to walk into my downtown Target and hear Scissor Sisters, Robyn or LIzzo blasting....... #what

I grew up at Target in the age of onstage/offstage, which nearly destroyed the company at the time, where all you could literally do during store hours was ZONE, which was great because you couldn't leave the store until every single aisle (and every single reshop) was pinpoint perfect. We even briefly succumbed to the lunacy of "station staffing" where you had a spot to manage (literally, a spot on the main aisle) and had to stay on that spot and play greeter all day long. All other work including zoning and reshop happened after the store was closed! I can't remember whose idea that was, but this concept lasted exactly 3 days before being cancelled.

Seeing massive cartloads of reshop cluttering up the former Kodak Center....... seeing pallets rolling through an open store.........seeing what passes for "Red and Khaki" these days.....it's REALLY a different store now.

But I do echo the comments above about missing the pace, the grind, the vibe of retail, especially during the holidays. Our store culture was always infused with a very strong work ethic, and a core team of TLs and part timers who kept standards very, very high. If you didn't cut it, you didn't last. Period. When people miss Target, or at least the "old" Target, I think they're missing those high standards. Later generations of ETLs and Store Directors will never understand this, at all.

Back