Archived AP at the Front Lanes

Status
Not open for further replies.

HardlinesGuy

Deputy Sheriff - Former AP Team Leader
Hi all. I'm a new Hardlines TM just a few days out of training. During my first training day for the registers, I asked what exactly I should do if I suspected someone of coupon fraud, or any other type of suspicious activity for that matter. Seeing as I'm on sales floor, I got a pretty generic answer that didn't really help and I was told "not to worry about it." That being said, I have a 7 hour shift solely on the registers coming up, and still no answers. So, not wanting to screw up on my first real register day, I turn to TBR for help.

Obviously, checking for extra items in the cart/basket/stroller/whatever and asking simple questions like "Will you be purchasing that item as well?" is the simplest way to prevent theft at the front lanes, but in the event that I encounter a guest I believe is committing coupon fraud, for example, what exactly should I be doing? Obviously you don't want guests to think you're suspicious of them, and I think that blatantly calling for the GSTL or LOD would be a surefire way to aggravate a guest.

Basically, my general question is, in the moment of checking out a guest, if I suspect fraud, what exactly should I do? Verbally call over the GSTL/GSA/LOD? Turn on my blinker? Continue ringing and tell them and AP later? Thanks for the help!

It's super easy to spot a fake coupon. The thieving idiots are too damn stupid for their own good. Most of the coupons will be for an outrageous amount. *Story time*

Had a guy come back to electronics one day with a coupon it said "Free Ipod Touch" he claimed he received it for filling out a survey. Funny part was when you read the fine print it said "plz send to bla bla bla Washington, Microsoft HQ" I geeked.

Usually I just turn on my blinker or call for the GSA/GSTL while playing dumb, assuming I've already run through the vast majority of coupons these people hand to me and hand back the excess plus what I know for a fact I didn't ring up.

"Oh it's the getting towards the end of my shift *GSA/GSTL*, I'm just messing up with these coupons and could use some help ya know?"

When in doubt, turn on your flasher. Us GSTLs/GSAs are trained for this. Basically you just want to ensure the coupon matches the item the guest is trying to use it for, that they are only using 1 manufacturer & 1 store coupon per item, etc.

Yea, you're not paid enough to worry about accusing anybody or making sure target doesn't get jipped for an extra dollar. If anything, what you should do with coupons, is do whatever you need to do to keep the transaction organized. IE, if the guest is doing large bulk purchases with coupons, do the items/coupons in batches. Scan your 4 shampoo's, then scan your 8 coupons to make sure they work, give out the giftcard. Scan the 8 toothpastes, scan the coupons, then give out the giftcard. Then at the last scan any "all transaction" coupons...such as spend X get Y off...then scan cartwheel.

If the coupon doesn't scan, get your GSTL involved. If it scans, don't worry about it and just let it go through.

Don't worry about it and just let your GSTL know about the situation. It's not really AP's focus to catch fake coupons.

Yea, you're not paid enough to worry about accusing anybody or making sure target doesn't get jipped for an extra dollar. If anything, what you should do with coupons, is do whatever you need to do to keep the transaction organized. IE, if the guest is doing large bulk purchases with coupons, do the items/coupons in batches. Scan your 4 shampoo's, then scan your 8 coupons to make sure they work, give out the giftcard. Scan the 8 toothpastes, scan the coupons, then give out the giftcard. Then at the last scan any "all transaction" coupons...such as spend X get Y off...then scan cartwheel.

If the coupon doesn't scan, get your GSTL involved. If it scans, don't worry about it and just let it go through.

I hate this kind of mindless logic. At the very least, make sure the items match.

I hate this kind of mindless logic. At the very least, make sure the items match.
And that all the items are there. Too many of those stupid Soniccare and razorblade coupons go through without the additional items, so we all get chewed out when someone accepts them making the already miserable front lanes quality of life worse.

Talk to the AP leader at your store.

And it is part of AP's job to ensure coupons are legit. Our job isn't to just prevent shoplifting. Fake or incorrectly applied coupons cause a financial loss to Target. Some stores are tougher on coupon policy than others but I don't know any store AP that would be okay with just "letting it go through". I cringe when I hear people say things like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back