Archived AP recoveries

Status
Not open for further replies.
On Thanksgiving/Black Friday AP wasn't allowed to apprehend subjects. So instead they had 4 TPSs and an APS standing by the door doing receipt checks. I recovered several PS4's and TVs from people simply trying to walk out with them. You ask them for their receipt and they would say something like "oh, I totally forgot to pay. can you tell me how much this is?" I tell them the price and they leave it with me. I have yet to encounter someone who was willing to fight me at the door over unpaid merchandise. @Flowmotion, At my store we actually get into situations like that all the time. My store isn't in a good neighborhood but we're in the top 5 for apprehensions and recoveries in the entire company.

Our store apprehended a couple people that day. One assisted by LE and the other was late in the morning (like 4am) after the crowd died down.

In essence, don't steal from spot. (THEY WILL KNOW, as their survallience is not only baller, but some of the best I've seen in any retailer ever. They can zoom in on you, in like 1080P, and watch your hands pilfer whatever it is you're pilfering. There are only a few legitimate ways to get away with stealing from spot, and really only for cheap items, mainly food, but I won't detail them here).

Really? Because my backroom is full of dummy cameras. Hell, one TM threw a bouncy ball and broke the black dome and there was no camera inside. Even the black dome that fell wasn't see through. It was just solid black plastic. Only good camera's i've seen the our store is the ones in the electronic room.

Last edited:
In essence, don't steal from spot. (THEY WILL KNOW, as their survallience is not only baller, but some of the best I've seen in any retailer ever. They can zoom in on you, in like 1080P, and watch your hands pilfer whatever it is you're pilfering. There are only a few legitimate ways to get away with stealing from spot, and really only for cheap items, mainly food, but I won't detail them here).
Really? Because my backroom is full of dummy cameras. Hell, one TM threw a bouncy ball and broke the black dome and there was no camera inside. Even the black dome that fell wasn't see through. It was just solid black plastic. Only good camera's i've seen the our store is the ones in the electronic room.

you have no post

Stuff like this makes really glad to NOT be AP! I remember over the summer a young girl probably 19 was trying to walk out in a leather jacket on a mmmm 80 degree afternoon. our ETL-AP was fallowing her and had his walkie like a cell phone and waiter for her to just walk out and he ran like a bat out of hell and blocked her way. From what I heard he said "I need to talk to you in the office" and when I went on break the cops were in the AP office and you could hear loud sobbing.

I think they can do pretty much whatever they want...it's not like anyone is going to stop them...

Anybody smart will. Rather, any smart criminal will, although the smartest will avoid confronting them completely. They can't do whatever they want because they're private employees for a private business, and therefore can't enforce the law, or conduct any other policing activities legally. If they pull somebody into the AP office under suspicion of stealing, and said individual was innocent of stealing, the case could be made that they kidnapped the individual, and a good lawyer would have a field day with that case. This is why AP typically goes for repeat offenders that are presumably non-life threatening. As mentioned by Ross, their job isn't worth risking their lives over. If they suspect someone is habitually stealing, and also dangerous, they'll probably partner with the local police to have justice served without anybody getting injured other than the perpetrator. Anyway, the point is, when AP makes an apprehension, they're essentially making a citizen's arrest, and as such, they have to be dang sure that individual is guilty of a crime before making said citizens arrest. As I'm not a thief by principle, and not keen on having my time wasted by any store's asset protection, on principle I won't comply with any asset protection outside of my place of employment, and I am willing to sue over it too (again, I'm really not a thief, and actually have somewhat of a desire to be a police officer). At the same time though, people need to know their rights, and it goes without saying that they have ABSOLUTELY NO obligation to stop for a private security guard and follow said guard's directions. This is why, as I stated at the beginning, any smart criminal will stop AP in their tracks straight away. In most, if not all places in America, stealing is only a crime when intent is proven. If AP questions whether they paid for something, all they have to say is "OH DRAT! I TOTALLY FORGOT TO PUT X ITEM ON THE BELT, AND THE CASHIER DIDN'T REMIND ME! I'LL PAY NOW/ I DECIDED I DON'T WANT IT.", and it's done. No law was broken. That's it. That's why intent needs to be proven, and that's why AP goes after people that have been caught stealing multiple times (one of the reasons anyway, another big reason is that if they can get them on felony theft, it looks a lot better for them).

If you know someone is leaving without paying for something, stop them and let them know. Most of the time it's out of ignorance. People put merchandise on the bottom of their carts all the time, and then completely forget it's there when the time comes to check out. If they do get out, let AP know. It'll probably be nothing, but if they are indeed smart criminals, and they hit your store again, AP will be able to do the lord's work.

If you know, for a fact, beyond any reasonable doubt, that you see someone that's stolen more than once from your store, in your store, that's when you call AP RFN! I've personally never been in that situation, but if you recognize someone as a repeat offender, it's for a reason, and that reason is that they are indeed a crook, and that's when AP gets to do the lord's work.

You have no idea what you're talking about. In my state the way that criminal code is written as soon as you conceal the item you are guilty of shoplifting. The code states when you conceal that shows intent. Also criminal code in my state states I can lawfully detain you, if you try to flee you will be put in "team" than in handcuffs.

You have no idea what you're talking about. In my state the way that criminal code is written as soon as you conceal the item you are guilty of shoplifting. The code states when you conceal that shows intent. Also criminal code in my state states I can lawfully detain you, if you try to flee you will be put in "team" than in handcuffs.

You'd be surprised how much state laws vary on some of that stuff.
I have a friend who worked private security in Alaska and moved to California.
He nearly got fired his first week because of a stop that he did, which while completely legal in Alaska, was against multiple state and city laws in California.

You'd be surprised how much state laws vary on some of that stuff.
I have a friend who worked private security in Alaska and moved to California.
He nearly got fired his first week because of a stop that he did, which while completely legal in Alaska, was against multiple state and city laws in California.
Crazy isn't it

In texas I know private property, owners can lawfully protect their property , even with deadly force. Im sure the protection of property by force is aloud. Texas can be pretty lax when it comes to property and self protection. After dark, trespassing peoplles can be shot, and the defense of property and self protection comes in. First rule you learn about this side of texas is dont go out in pastures and farms at night or you maybe in more trouble with the owner, than the law.

In texas I know private property, owners can lawfully protect their property , even with deadly force. Im sure the protection of property by force is aloud. Texas can be pretty lax when it comes to property and self protection. After dark, trespassing peoplles can be shot, and the defense of property and self protection comes in. First rule you learn about this side of texas is dont go out in pastures and farms at night or you maybe in more trouble with the owner, than the law.

If target would allow the AP teams to shoot the shoplifters as they exit that will greaty deter theft !

If target would allow the AP teams to shoot the shoplifters as they exit that will greaty deter theft !
Haha i think a better way would be taze them if they run :p they will live, almost no injury, amd its like a dhock collar for dogs, they will learn not to steal lol. But my point in the post was about private propert can be protected, this case from thieves , with reasonable force. Like reatraining and handcuffing until police arrive lol

In TX it's known as the "castle doctrine" which allows a homeowner to use deadly force if they feel threatened in their home. Earlier laws apply to farms & pastures (think cattle rustling) in which a farmer or rancher could shoot someone trespassing because it often led to livestock theft (which was a crime punishable by hanging). TX hasn't repealed those types of laws; they're just not enforced as rigorously & they require you to post a token "No Trespassing" sign as a warning.
TX best known for coining the phrase "He needed killin'".

It's cool if you shoot them in the foot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back