Archived Applied for another job today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me start off by saying that I love working at Target. But it's a 25 minute drive on the interstate from where I live. Too far away to work a job that only pays the better side of minimum wage, ya know? And this way, I won't be putting 40 to 50 dollars worth of gas every week in my car.

I applied at an electronics store a few weeks ago. Got an interview today, went well. She liked the fact that I had electronics training and dealing with mean and noisy customers. As well as having worked with Target Mobile very closely in my store. I'd get less hours working at RS, but after doing the math, I still come out on a profit.
She told me to expect a call from the DM tomorrow to give me a job offer. The store is really small. So I am indeed looking forward to not dealing with quite as much stress as my A+ Target store carries.

I do feel kind of bad though. I've only worked at Target for about 3 and a half months. =/ But I needed a closer job!

What do you guys think? Is this a D-bag move on my part?

Last edited:
nope - you gotta do what is right for you. I think the fact that you figured out the math and know it will be a better deal for you.

Have fun - let us know how it goes!!

No
and
no
and no again.
Good luck, I hope it all goes well for you.

Don't do it!

Anyone on this forum will tell you that I am the last person that would say don't quit Target - but in this case, don't quit target.

Radio Shack is very possibly going to be out of business in the next 1-3 years, possibly sooner if we have another economic slump before then.

They are basically nothing more than a glorified cell phone store. Ask yourself this - would you be happy working at the cell phone kiosk at the mall? Because that basically is what Radio Shack is.

Don't forget that they are also a sales environment. (I mean real sales, not Target style sales) You are expected to sell cell phone contracts and meet quotas. Ever tried to sell cell phones on contract at Target? Then you know how hard it is. Unless you are damn good at selling contract phones, you could be easily out of a job for not meeting sales numbers. It is not like Target where they will just say "try harder". At Radio Shack, it's your job on the line.

Anyway - I recommend everyone get a better job than Target. In this case, however, you are taking a worse job.

Not to mention there is also the armed robbery factor. You are substantially more likely to get robbed working at a Radio Shack than a Target store. It is one step up from the gas station on the risk of being robbed.

Don't do it!

Anyone on this forum will tell you that I am the last person that would say don't quit Target - but in this case, don't quit target.

Radio Shack is very possibly going to be out of business in the next 1-3 years, possibly sooner if we have another economic slump before then.

They are basically nothing more than a glorified cell phone store. Ask yourself this - would you be happy working at the cell phone kiosk at the mall? Because that basically is what Radio Shack is.

Don't forget that they are also a sales environment. (I mean real sales, not Target style sales) You are expected to sell cell phone contracts and meet quotas. Ever tried to sell cell phones on contract at Target? Then you know how hard it is. Unless you are damn good at selling contract phones, you could be easily out of a job for not meeting sales numbers. It is not like Target where they will just say "try harder". At Radio Shack, it's your job on the line.

Anyway - I recommend everyone get a better job than Target. In this case, however, you are taking a worse job.

Not to mention there is also the armed robbery factor. You are substantially more likely to get robbed working at a Radio Shack than a Target store. It is one step up from the gas station on the risk of being robbed.

Sales are nothing new to me. Our store is actually number 1 in the district for selling attachments. Which I contribute to.
Robberies are nothing new to me. :p I worked at a gas station before I worked at Target. Lets just say the state I live in has a fairly high crime rate...
Honestly, I wouldn't mind working at a kiosk in the mall. This isn't a career for me. I'm going to college starting this month. Nothing more than something to help me pay student loans.
Worse case scenario, I have to go BACK to a department store of some sort. In this economy, just having any job is nice.

If you think you can make a good profit, go for it.

However, at Target you know they will be opened for years and you will get tons of hours. You may get some extreme cuts in hours at RadioShack if they struggle or you're not performing well.

However, if you are confident that this is the right choice, by all means, go for it! :)

I agree,leave on good terms and work out your notice if you are leaving,good luck.

I'm sorry but, this line made me laugh my ass off. And I work at a gas station.

I agree,leave on good terms and work out your notice if you are leaving,good luck.
Decided to take the job. I had a day off yesterday, so I called my ETL-HR to give my two weeks notice, which apparently isn't "official" until I write my letter to HR explaining why.
I did put on the letter today, though, that I informed HR yesterday and won't be working there after Friday, August 17th.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back