Archived Are you looking for a new job?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am actively searching for my "career" job. Target was basically the first place that hired me after I graduated college and I plan to work there till I find something better. My degree hasn't done me much good lately since all jobs seem to want experience these days. Just waiting for that one place to give me a chance and hire me
Don't give up! Target was my transition job between Air Force and civilian. Who knows, if my wife didn't complain so much about the hours I worked I may still be with Target. Luckily, I found a company who gave me a chance. Here I am, B.A. in Organizational Management, serving the federal government as a software engineer/consultant.

Tip: Network with people in the field you want to go into. Get to know them on a personal level. You could have the degree and experience but not get selected because the company went with someone who was recommended by a current employee.

If you live in an urban area - check out local hangouts and meet-ups for the industry you're trying to get into. I got my interview because I met someone who worked there and became friends with that person. Actually, 90% of us were recommended by an employee and/or worked with an employee on a past project. My BR TL (which was also using Target as a transition job) landed his dream job (which is also his major) by connecting with people in that industry. He actively searched social groups and attended their meetings/meet-ups. Met a few important people and left Target after 6 months.

I know it's not always straightforward but there are definitely success stories. Target has TMs who can do great things and only need the opportunity to prove it.

I put in various apps in various places but yet I never get calls....... I also got to remember other people are looking for jobs as well and it is basically the hunger games out there and I just keep putting more apps in and maybe one day I will get a call.

I put in various apps in various places but yet I never get calls....... I also got to remember other people are looking for jobs as well and it is basically the hunger games out there and I just keep putting more apps in and maybe one day I will get a call.
Have you tried calling them?

No I haven't actually but I know what they'll probably say we are still looking over them etc etc I mean I did put my info out there and I know they would send out a rejection e-mail if they really didn't want me.

Yeah, I'm always applying for other jobs. Most of the people in softlines in my store are getting 4-8 hours a week right now and that's just not gonna cut it. (This week I had a 3.5 hr shift and a 4.5 hr shift.) When I left Sunday night there were 22 carts - 6 of them were left over from the flow team that morning. We (softlines) only have one person on the floor, sometimes with gaps between shifts and we end up spending a quarter of the shift on a register. It's just depressing. I spent the entirety of my last shift just picking up stuff on the floor. Oh, and I did one table. Oh, and was called up for guest first twice. But, yeah, picking up stuff off the floor the rest of the time. That was it. It's too frustrating to stay much longer. They're not giving us the tools, the hours to get even part of the job done. The mess in the store is beyond embarrassing. I wish I could make a difference, but I can't.

Yeah, I'm always applying for other jobs. Most of the people in softlines in my store are getting 4-8 hours a week right now and that's just not gonna cut it. (This week I had a 3.5 hr shift and a 4.5 hr shift.) When I left Sunday night there were 22 carts - 6 of them were left over from the flow team that morning. We (softlines) only have one person on the floor, sometimes with gaps between shifts and we end up spending a quarter of the shift on a register. It's just depressing. I spent the entirety of my last shift just picking up stuff on the floor. Oh, and I did one table. Oh, and was called up for guest first twice. But, yeah, picking up stuff off the floor the rest of the time. That was it. It's too frustrating to stay much longer. They're not giving us the tools, the hours to get even part of the job done. The mess in the store is beyond embarrassing. I wish I could make a difference, but I can't.

wow there's something real wrong going on at your store, i'm sorry :(. where i am we have many employees who have to watch out for going overtime, all cashiers and some sales floor are at 30+ hours a week. it really depends on who is in charge there, how much money your store makes, and your location too. that's really a shame though i hope you find something.

No I haven't actually but I know what they'll probably say we are still looking over them etc etc I mean I did put my info out there and I know they would send out a rejection e-mail if they really didn't want me.
Definitely call the places you apply to. They may very well say that they are still reviewing it but by calling, you are increasing the chances that they will look at or give a second look at your application. All other things being equal, they will take the guy who is interested enough to call over the guy who simply just submits an application.

I am looking for a new job. I wanted to work in a fun friendly and fast environment, but this has been a bad match since the first day. We only have one car, so it us going to be difficult.
RG, I will be thinking of you and wishing you the best.

Well, I was, but I think I'm going to stick with Spot for, at least, this year.

Primarily for 2 reasons:

1.) I'm planning on traveling in the Fall. I'm only young once and I don't know when I will get the chance again. I can always look for a better job when I get back and I know Target will give me the time off/LOA to do so.

2.) I'm also planning on going to graduate school next year, so my chance for a career job will more than likely come after I complete a Masters program, anyway.

Last edited:
I'll admit to doing very little if any looking for the past year or two. Even though the hours suck, the pay sucks, and now they're trying to put me on flow so now my sleep sucks, I find it very difficult to leave from a mental stand point.

Even though it's been a solid five-seven years since then, I still remember what it was like trying to do applications every week for months while unemployed, never getting so much as a peep from any prospective employers. Even for the low entry jobs such as retail worker or gas station attendant. And the few times I would land an interview, I felt like I would always bomb the interview, whether it be not giving the answers they want to hear, or not having anything to ask them, or whatever else. There was once I was unemployed for close to a year, and while my motivation / confidence has never been high, that just made everything worse mentally.

Combine that with my current situation, and it's even harder. The town I live in is practically all warehouse jobs to some degree (aside from the retail stores) Did assembly work for a month through a temp agency for a month and learned real quick how much I hated that atmospshere. While I can be a sensitive person, I've learned to shrug a lot of it off. But that job, after one week I wanted to quit and burn the place down and when I was let go after a month was one of the happier moments considering.

Also the fact I need to get dental work done and have my first appointment in a month. And with having dental insurance (at least until Target decides to cut that), it's a slight buffer instead of leaving, starting over somewhere else, and having no benefits until who knows how long (and I've put off dental work long enough as is).

So while I realize my situation is crap and I need to get out, as bad as Target can be, it's still a safety net that I am able to fall back on. I feel I don't have to worry about being fired or anything along those lines.

And at least with hours being as bad as they are right now, it's giving me a chance to try my hand at streaming over on Twitch which is something I've wanted to try for some time. I may never be successful at it, and even if I am, could take years, but it's maybe the one thing I feel I have some hope left with in my life.

I just quit to focus on actively seeking another career job—my last day is Saturday.

The pay isn't great, but it's better than nothing. That is unless the headaches aren't worth the pittance of income, as was the case for me. Poor scheduling and persistent understaffing combined with unrealistic expectations make an otherwise bearable job absolutely miserable.

Wages are low enough that I consider this to be volunteer work, and as a volunteer I don't appreciate the abuse.

I've actually come across a few networking opportunities at Target. I used to wear a Hooter (school mascot) pin to work on game days and people would ask about it. They always ask me for LinkedIn info, though and I deleted it. So maybe I need to get back on LinkedIn. I've also randomly met people talking to then in the FR about the clothes they're looking for. Sometimes they're shopping for work events and then it comes up that my degree is in the same field. I agree with the person up there who said to network and seek out networking opportunities, but also don't be a grump at work, because sometimes you meet people there too. A couple former TMs from my store have found jobs just from talking it up with guests.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back