Archived Asking for cross training

Status
Not open for further replies.
I currently work for Spot as a cart attendant. I have 5 years of retail experience and prior managerial experience. I applied for sales floor, but they hired me for carts.

The work sucks and I'm so overqualified. I want to switch to sales floor soon or I'll probably just quit. Who should I talk to?

You should talk to the ETL Hardlines or Salesfloor if you can't talk to HR... especially since they are the ones who make the schedule for hardlines/salesfloor... hopefully your ETL Hardlines or Salesfloor isn't also the ETL GE. He/she might not want to move you from cart attendant which would suck.

You can talk to etl or lod your ge it's hard to leave carts at my store and some target.it's a black hole at my store when people find out it has a lot of work to do they usually quit.or drop there available to one day week.it's a black hole

Swap shift is your friend. Always ask your gsa/gstl, to do reshop on sales floor or get items to fill frontend. Commication is the key. Our cart guy was no show this weekend, I was teaching others how to us the cart pusher. Oh wait, I am in electronics! I am global in most areas.

GSTL said you have to be employed 90 days. I won't even be here that long since I was hired as seasonal. I wrote a letter to the ETL HR who I have a good relationship with. He will be there tomorrow, but I have the day off.

Also, my ETL said I can't swap shift with any department except cashier.

Yeah, they want to see you excel in an area before cross training, so unless they are desperate (they aren't, they're hiring like a mofo) you won't generally get cross trained under your 90 days. And you can't just pick up shifts without being trained for them.

Here's the thing...if you have 5 years of retail experience, you will find yourself vastly overqualified for the salesfloor as well. It doesn't take much to put out CAFs, zone the sales floor and respond to back up.

Also, even if you are cross trained, unless they completely switch your work center (rare) most of your hours will still come from your main work center.

Yeah, they want to see you excel in an area before cross training, so unless they are desperate (they aren't, they're hiring like a mofo) you won't generally get cross trained under your 90 days. And you can't just pick up shifts without being trained for them.

Here's the thing...if you have 5 years of retail experience, you will find yourself vastly overqualified for the salesfloor as well. It doesn't take much to put out CAFs, zone the sales floor and respond to back up.

Also, even if you are cross trained, unless they completely switch your work center (rare) most of your hours will still come from your main work center.

Facts...

Sounds like I may end up just having to leave. I guess I could reapply and be hired for sales floor, but I'd have to do the two weeks thing, which I despise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back