Archived Asking for time off

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a new hire looking for advice. During my interview earlier this week they asked if I needed any time off and I told them the truth- I was tentatively going out of town for Christmas/New Years (don't know the exact dates, probably the last 5-7 days of December). He told me that was too far in the future for them to worry about but to ask off for it "as soon as I was able". Question is, how soon am I able? Also is there anything I can do to make sure I can take the weeks off and still have a job when I come back, or am I just SOL? (I'm trying to figure this all out now since it's an international trip and the flights are being booked next month).

Getting time off that time of the year can be tricky. I have known then to make exceptions, but that is rare. I would talk to your e h r asap and explain to them the situation and ask them. The worse they can say is no.

Getting time off that time of the year can be tricky. I have known then to make exceptions, but that is rare. I would talk to your e h r asap and explain to them the situation and ask them. The worse they can say is no.

That's what I've heard but I know it happens (Ma worked retail for 10 years, never got it but never asked. SO works in a grocery store, somehow managed to get a week + like 5 days off last Christmas/NY). I'll talk to them after orientation next month. If I was of looser morals I would have told them I was having surgery or something that time.

Last edited:
There are black out dates during the 4th quarter. Mostly every day from Thanksgiving to New Years. Did you put those dates on your application? If so that would be very helpful. I would allow time off requests during that time but my ETLHR always overrode those decisions. She was a C word. That being said, time off requests during 4th quarter are rarely honored, but get it in soon. Go to your ehr and see how far out you can put the request in. Worst case scenario: call out sick, or medical.

And don't say anything about it to your fellow team members. It's a easy way to make people hate you.

I was the lucky one last year in our store who got off for the last 9 days of the year (and the first 2 of the new one) due to trying to go to my original hometown (grandparents are 96, never know when the last time I'll get to see them is)......I asked in June, and it took until November to get it approved, and the only reason that I think they did it is because my notice was in my back pocket. They denied some one else who was getting married in early December, and he walked.....not a fun time to try and get off on....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back