Archived Backstock not asking for quantity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do I not get the option to put in the quantity for some backstock like shirts or BUCK? I feel like I'm doing something wrong putting BUCK casepacks away because I'm not saying how many there are. Thanks

Buck and some items such as PIPO pallets( water, pet food, paper ) and Mens socks don't ask for quantity. They will be located but the system doesn't want to know how many we have. Usually it's fast moving items. You just have to be careful when pulling these items because the PDA will ask you if you pulled all from location. This means if you pulled every last item of that DPCI from that location. If no then it will keep the item located, if you press yes it will unlocate it.

Buck and some items such as PIPO pallets( water, pet food, paper ) and Mens socks don't ask for quantity. They will be located but the system doesn't want to know how many we have. Usually it's fast moving items. You just have to be careful when pulling these items because the PDA will ask you if you pulled all from location. This means if you pulled every last item of that DPCI from that location. If no then it will keep the item located, if you press yes it will unlocate it.

Oh my god I am an idiot. So that's where I've been messing up...

Potato chips are also a common PIPO item. That's usually the first one my new trainees stumble upon, and the concept of PIPO blows most of their minds to the point where they have to quit or steal something and be fired within the first two weeks.

As a side note to anyone reading this who is newer to the backroom: The system uses the PDAs as "update scanners" in a sense - as you pull batches you will also be finding errors without your knowing it. So for example, if someone puts down a bottle of shampoo in an HBO2 waco and forgets to scan it in, then tomorrow an Autofill or CAF brings someone else to the same waco where they scan that shampoo before finding the item they need to pull, that shampoo has now been added into the system as being in that waco but with no quantity. If you searched it now it would be located with an (O) but no quantity next to it. Next time it needs to be pulled and the batch leads you to that waco, you will get a "Did you pull all Y/N?" because it was a found baffle and had no quantity. So, an example of the "Y/N" question for items that are *not* PIPO.

"The more you know...da da da da..."

Potato chips are also a common PIPO item. That's usually the first one my new trainees stumble upon, and the concept of PIPO blows most of their minds to the point where they have to quit or steal something and be fired within the first two weeks.

As a side note to anyone reading this who is newer to the backroom: The system uses the PDAs as "update scanners" in a sense - as you pull batches you will also be finding errors without your knowing it. So for example, if someone puts down a bottle of shampoo in an HBO2 waco and forgets to scan it in, then tomorrow an Autofill or CAF brings someone else to the same waco where they scan that shampoo before finding the item they need to pull, that shampoo has now been added into the system as being in that waco but with no quantity. If you searched it now it would be located with an (O) but no quantity next to it. Next time it needs to be pulled and the batch leads you to that waco, you will get a "Did you pull all Y/N?" because it was a found baffle and had no quantity. So, an example of the "Y/N" question for items that are *not* PIPO.

"The more you know...da da da da..."

That's some great information, thanks!

Can you tell me what the deal is with PIPOs? No one's ever really explained what they are (besides big pallets of freight, often shrink-wrapped), but I've been there long enough that I'm embarassed to ask at my store. I probably should know already, but it slipped by me.

So today, I had to pull from a PIPO of Starbucks coffee for a CAF. It asked for 1 "assortment" package, from a pallet of four blends. That means I pull any old flavor/blend of coffee on the pallet, right?

But why don't they have locations on the PIC labels like most freight? Sorry if this is a super-basic goofball question. They just send random assortments of various fast-selling items and don't even keep any sort of inventory? Not sure I fully grasp it.

The pallet's/shipper's pic label is for the entire assortment. When it says pull one assortment it wants you to pull the entire assortment package. The individual DPCIs and quantities are tied to that assortment DPCI, so the system does correctly add whatever came in on an assortment DPCI to the inventory. The system just can't ask for one item out of an assortment if it needs it...it wants to pull the entire assortment.

The pallet's/shipper's pic label is for the entire assortment. When it says pull one assortment it wants you to pull the entire assortment package. The individual DPCIs and quantities are tied to that assortment DPCI, so the system does correctly add whatever came in on an assortment DPCI to the inventory. The system just can't ask for one item out of an assortment if it needs it...it wants to pull the entire assortment.

So I should have loaded that entire pallet on a flatbed and put a push clip on it? Assortment = full PIPO? I'm skeptical we had room for 288 packages of Starbucks on our shelves... or are you saying it doesn't care what part/blend of that full pallet we pulled? Maybe it said to pull one item from the assortment? Is that a thing? Apologize if I keep misunderstanding, still trying to get a hold on Target language.

It only wanted maybe one case off of that assortment pallet, but the pull system can't pull just part of an assortment so it requests the entire pallet/assortment. This is one of the few cases where I would recommend burning the batch. You should pull it, but then immediately backstock it. Some stores leave assortments off location so they don't pull in batches. Most likely it is for an endcap or a specific set. In the case that it isn't, that pallet needs to be broken down, pushed, and backstocked as individual cases.

To clarify, the assortment DPCI is what is scanned into that location. The system decides it wants one of those coffees that is tied to that assortment DPCI. It can't request the specific DPCI because it is not scanned into a location, but it can request the assortment DPCI that the item is associated with.

And when I say back stocked as individual cases...we usually stack the product by DPCI on the pallet and backstock the pallet in receiving. We backstock each DPCI to the pallet location.

Good old AST messing with noobs like no other. I usually "burn" them or fake it because I know if it's really needed someone will be asking for it. I'd rather not have a pile of backstock when they just need a few.

Happened today though. Annoying.

As for leaving multiple DPCIs on a pallet and backstock that. It sucks when some asshat does that with 5 or 6 DPCIs of diapers and puts it on the top rack where you can't even reach them with a maxed out wave.

Good old AST messing with noobs like no other. I usually "burn" them or fake it because I know if it's really needed someone will be asking for it. I'd rather not have a pile of backstock when they just need a few.

Happened today though. Annoying.

As for leaving multiple DPCIs on a pallet and backstock that. It sucks when some asshat does that with 5 or 6 DPCIs of diapers and puts it on the top rack where you can't even reach them with a maxed out wave.
When you're space constrained, you do what you have to do!

Pipo's are pallets that come with an assortment label. For ex: diapers & paper towels.

That's not entirely true. I would say that at least at my store most pipos are not assortment pipos, they only have one dpci with a standard pick label on them.

Pipo stands for "pallet in pallet out' - known that for a long time. Just realized it refers to the product coming IN to the DC on a pallet and going out from the DC on the same pallet.

Is this a revelation to anyone else or am I just slow?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back