COVID-19 Being high risk with stores staying open

So I recently found out that I'm almost 4 months pregnant, and I'm starting to get really stressed about Target stores vowing to stay open.

While I agree it's important to make sure people have access to food and supplies I think it is unfair to expect me to be there everyday putting myself at risk. My parents are both older and working from home right now so I am the only reason they would get sick, or infected.

Plus with being pregnant I would totally be fine with closing for a few days because I'm genuinely always exhausted. 😴

I don’t think Target could take a decision to close, atleast for now. It would be better if you could talk with your ETL /HR about your situation. I guess they would let you stay home until u feel comfortable or even a LOA is a possibility.

Congrats on your pregnancy I recommend that you take an LOA then come back for a week and take another. I’m not with Target anymore but it used to be there was no minimum time on returning from LOA and taking another.

I had college students who would take LOA for literally 11 months and work one week during the summer and go back on LOA.

Talk with your store's leadership and check into any special arrangements possible. My state's governor announced that unemployment benefits will be available in situations that ordinarily wouldn't qualify. Perhaps yours has too. This is a weird time and the usual rules don't necessarily apply. You need to do what's right for you, your baby, and your family. And congratulations!

Congrats on your pregnancy!

Do talk to your HR and see about an LOA, as others have said. If it eases your anxieties at all, from what I've read, coronavirus doesn't seem to affect pregnant women any more severely than anyone else, and hasn't posed a threat to fetuses (and may not cross the placenta).

Good luck!

Congrats on your pregnancy I recommend that you take an LOA then come back for a week and take another. I’m not with Target anymore but it used to be there was no minimum time on returning from LOA and taking another.

I had college students who would take LOA for literally 11 months and work one week during the summer and go back on LOA.
@HRZone Welcome back!!! You can take personal LOA for up to 4 months. The educational LOA lasts longer.

So I recently found out that I'm almost 4 months pregnant, and I'm starting to get really stressed about Target stores vowing to stay open.

While I agree it's important to make sure people have access to food and supplies I think it is unfair to expect me to be there everyday putting myself at risk. My parents are both older and working from home right now so I am the only reason they would get sick, or infected.

Plus with being pregnant I would totally be fine with closing for a few days because I'm genuinely always exhausted. 😴
You recently found out you are 4 months pregnant?

There's been women who found out they were pregnant when the baby crowned. 4 months is nothing, especially when unplanned.

Edit: Fucking autocorrect apparently doesnt know the word "crown".

Women with irregular cycles and conditions like PCOS (and others) can be told by doctors they will never conceive, so it's not on their radar. Those doctors should be sued for malpractice, but it does happen.

Also, you can't even get a positive test until you're around 1 month pregnant, due to the way pregnancy math is done, and 4 months is barely out of the first tri, so most women aren't even showing or anything (especially with 1st pregnancies). Can easily go under the radar, especially if you don't have regular cycles.

I been away from the forum too long. Just now finding out that HRZone left the company. No wonder why metrics is red! Jk.

I am also pregnant and still live at home with my grandparents who both have health issues. I called out one shift and am supposed to work tomorrow and do NOT feel comfortable going at all. I work in a county in PA where the virus is really spreading bad and people come into the stores and just dont care. People come in because they're bored of being home and things like that and will cough with their mouths wide open still. Its not worth it to me I've done retail for years and could find another job if need be after all of this. Curious as to what you (op) ended up doing? My managers and HR lady are not accommodating or really kind in any way and I get severe anxiety over this.

Just gotta point out that eventually everyone is going to get this since no one has immunity. Quarantine slows it down so hospitals don't end up with more patients than beds and medical rationing starts.

Taking precautions is wise, but people can't isolate forever. Work smart, stay home for a couple weeks if someone is sick in the workplace, but don't think life will be fine in 2-3 months.

Just gotta point out that eventually everyone is going to get this since no one has immunity. Quarantine slows it down so hospitals don't end up with more patients than beds and medical rationing starts...... Taking precautions is wise, but people can't isolate forever. Work smart, stay home for a couple weeks if someone is sick in the workplace, but don't think life will be fine in 2-3 months.
Sensible observations. Our lives, those of our neighbors and communities, will not be the same after this. You're going to see people become very, very reluctant to place themselves in packed crowd situations. Life will go on, but it won't quite be the same. Germ-conscious precautions may remain among many Americans for the foreseeable future. For myself, I still believe it's important to work and to remain engaged with friends, family and social connections even if things might be a bit different than in the past.

I'm hoping this will trigger universal healthcare. If the news covers those who are dying because they can't afford a hospital bed and ventilator or hospitals that have to turn people away because they have no money left for charity care, that will probably be the trigger for getting it.

I thought pregnancy was under the eligible category, but I have read so many things, I may have confused one thing with another. (Sorry for double post. I’d fix but am about to head out the door for work.)

Back