Archived Being offered a leader position and how many leaders does your store have?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Guys

I forgot to post this yesterday.

Just before clocking out yesterday the HR leader asked if I a few minutes to speak. I reluctantly said yes, as my conversations with leaders lately have mostly been negative.

This conversation was a little different, as she just wanted to know what my career goals were after school. She started out by saying that they had at least 3 leadership openings at that point and time. She also mentioned that could work around my school schedule if I was interested in applying for one of these. I told her no, as I was going into the medical field and already had a job lined up after I finished my school this December. I also got brave enough to tell her that I did not want to be a leader, as some have treated me too well and I did want to work along side them. She then said her door was always open and that if I had any problems she was there to talk. Finally she asked if there was anything she could do to in regards to helping smooth thinks over with the other leaders and I said I was not sure. She again said to come to her with concerns that I might have and I said sure.

I guess they are in need of a GSTL (the GSA that was in line for it quit) and an APTL. Also I guess they are trying to find a logistics ETL, as ours is moving with her wife out of state to run a Super Target. Lastly it sounds like they are going to add some new leadership positions after the first of the year and will need people to fill those.

Just wondering how any leaders is a store supposed to have.

We currently have 3 regular leaders and I what I understand to be 3 ETL. I guess we are down the 2 regular leaders and might be down an ETL if they don’t find someone soon for that job.

I do feel bad for our old APTL, as I saw him at a coffee shop near the medical clinic that I do some classes at just a while ago and he said Target and the insurance people are trying to screw him over for his workers comp. I guess he is working with legal aid to get some help in fighting this. I am not sure what he is going to do, as he can’t work, but at the same time can’t claim workers comp either.

itsajob

My last store had 3 ETLs (HR, Style/GE, Essentials)
4 SrTLs (Food, Style, Closer, Logistics)
2 TLs (Plano, Home)
APTL

You should have taken the role. You have another job lined up so if it went to shit so what, plus that's more money and they would work around your schedule for school

Bad move all around saying no

My store has 10 ETLS(Logistics, HR, Replenishment, Food, Senior Merch, 2 Hardlines, GE,AP, and Softlines)
3 SrTLs(Hardlines, Food, Plano)
14 TLs(Pricing, 3 Food, 4 Softlines, 2 Hardlines with one open TL position, Visual Merchandise, Beauty, Backroom)

Last edited:
We have 3 etls (Logistics, HR, SF/GE)
3 SrTLs (hardlines, gstl, backroom)
4 TLs (Plano, food, flow, visual merchandiser)
And APTL

5 ETLs (GE, HR, AP, LOG, SF)
3 SrTLs (HL/Flow/Plano)
9 TLs (2 A+A, 2 GSTLs, HL, backroom, fulfillment, consumables, Sbux)

You should have taken the role. You have another job lined up so if it went to shit so what, plus that's more money and they would work around your schedule for school

Bad move all around saying no
The thing is that I only want to work part time until my schooling is over and this would be a full time job. Also I don't want to be leader and don't want to waste my schooling (medical) for a retail job.

itsajob

We have 6 ETLs: GE, HR, LOG, SF, FOOD, AP.
3 SR: Plano, HL, HL
15 TL: 4 Food, 3 SL, 3 GSTL, HL, Flow, Backroom, SFS, AP

I don't think they were scammed by it; the guest just walked out. OP was trying to summon assistance but was ignored and stopped at outright accusing the guest of theft (against policy) or physically barring them from leaving (also prohibited) so I'm not sure what else OP could have done.

Ooh I would have snapped up that APTL position. Unique opportunity.

My store has an STL, a Sr ETL, 9 ETLs (I think. It may be more). I don't know how many TLs.

Ooh I would have snapped up that APTL position. Unique opportunity.

For what it's worth...

It's very unlikely (virtually impossible) to get APTL directly from a salesfloor position. APTL's are promoted from within AP ranks, and every district will have a lineup of APSs and maybe high-performing TPSs already working hard to get APTL. There's just too much to learn; someone jumping into the position without deep knowledge of AP tools and a thorough understanding of the job would be a huge risk/liability for the company.

I've never even heard of a salesfloor TL (let alone TM) moving over to become an APTL, unless they have a large amount of previous Target AP experience.

In fact, I've never heard of store-level HR even being really involved in a decision to hire an APTL. It's pretty much entirely done by APBP and DTL, at least in my area.

*shrug*

Last edited:
For what it's worth...

It's very unlikely (virtually impossible) to get APTL directly from a salesfloor position. APTL's are promoted from within AP ranks, and every district will have a lineup of APSs and maybe high-performing TPSs already working hard to get APTL. There's just too much to learn; someone jumping into the position without deep knowledge of AP tools and a thorough understanding of the job would be a huge risk/liability for the company.

I've never even heard of a salesfloor TL (let alone TM) moving over to become an APTL, unless they have a large amount of previous Target AP experience.

In fact, I've never heard of store-level HR even being really involved in a decision to hire an APTL. It's pretty much entirely done by APBP and DTL, at least in my area.

*shrug*

The HR’s involvement in the case I know of was just making the official job offer. Wasn’t a salesfloor TL from spot but someone who had previous AP experience with a different retail chain who got hired into spot as an APTL without having to be TPS first.

Am I the only one that thinks it's odd that the OP was scammed by this "Target Wallet" then all the sudden they are saying they were offered a TL position.
Was told today by another cashier they overheard the HR leader and my dumb ass LOD talking about me. I guess my LOD said "you really did not tell her to apply for either leader position." I guess she then said I've had to coach her on a number of things and I am about ready to put her on CCA. The HR leader then wanted to know if they had been put into Workday or if they happened before Workday. Then the cashier said they shut the door to office they were in.

itsajob

For what it's worth...

*shrug*
Always APBP. AP and PMT are the two positions that are not paid for by the store but by district. This means they also report to the BP not the Store but obviously work for the STL in regards to it being their store.

The HR’s involvement in the case I know of was just making the official job offer. Wasn’t a salesfloor TL from spot but someone who had previous AP experience with a different retail chain who got hired into spot as an APTL without having to be TPS first.

Ahhh yeah that makes more sense.

Always APBP. AP and PMT are the two positions that are not paid for by the store but by district. This means they also report to the BP not the Store but obviously work for the STL in regards to it being their store.

Yeah, I know AP payroll is separate from salesfloor, and recent changes in AP have made it so that technically we kinda don't even directly answer to our STLs anymore, but to our APBPs... or maybe that's just my group. But we still sorta need to follow STL instructions, unless they're telling us to like push carts or something totally outside of our job description.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back