Archived Bypassed Positions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I lived in PA, and I pursued 3 team lead positions to lose them to 3 different people on team lead bench. My ETL there told me she was going to "work me to bench," but I transferred to Vegas. So I am here, and AGAIN, I was bypassed 2 team lead positions by 2 team lead benched people in my workcenter of Starbucks. Back east it was different because it was one hardlines, one softlines, and one Starbucks positions. Now that I am getting super upset losing out on 5 team lead positions between 2 stores, and I am going to school, graduating this September with a Bachelors in Business Human Resource Management Degree, why are people passing me that have no degrees at all that were team members at all. It is really frustrating and I hate my job anymore because Target is treating me like I am worthless in developing my career any further than keeping me as a runt in Starbucks.

Not to sound harsh but maybe those people were better options then you. Also if you not on the bench your not going to be offered a position working in Starbucks doesn't help either

Have you asked for feedback? I'm not sure how the TL process goes, but losing out on 5 chances does seem a bit...unique. There's a very good chance that there's something specific that's keeping them from moving you up, and once you address that you'll be good. I'd definitely try to ask everyone involved for feedback.

Those on the Bench have been through the interview process or picked for promotion a head of time already. They are just waiting for a Team lead position to open up for them to take. It would be unfair and frustrating to them as well. Because they were put on the Bench for a reason.

Have you express interest in a "lead" position to a ETL, HR. or a Team Lead? That is a start to get yourself on the Bench. Simply seeing the position being open and applying is not good enough most of the time. Usually a replacement has been chosen already and the application is opened up for said person to apply.

Last edited:
By the time a TL position opens, it's usually too late to apply. TMs interview for TL positions weeks, sometimes months, before a position actually opens (thus the TL "bench"). And some of those TMs are from other stores and are willing to transfer in order to get a TL role. Those who got the positions before you had likely been through the interview process long before you knew the position had even opened.

You need to express to your ETL your interest in working on your development at Target and what it would take for you to go through the TL interview process. Gauge his or her willingness to invest in you, and don't be afraid to hear constructive feedback.

Shit it's hard enough to get a TL position from the bench - it's damn near impossible to get one without being on the bench. :confused: Internally anyway.
Basically the only way that happens is if the STL already thinks you're the best candidate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back