Archived C.u.r.t.a.i.n.s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last week I was on the sales floor putting away some reshop in Seasonal when this older woman on a scooter (rascal? whatever you call those things) approaches me. I had seen her before. Every night in fact for the last 2 months I've been working at Target.
She had a sour look on her face. A bit mad or frustrated that she couldn't find something. I asked if I could help her find something and she says "Curtains."
"Curtains?" I replied. Then, in a loud, angry voice she yells, "YES! Curtains! C-u-r-t-a-i-n-s- CURTAINS!" I tried to direct her to the curtains but that was getting me no where. She would repeat the directions word for word with one small mistake in it somewhere. I finally just gave up and offered to show her to the curtains.

When we get there, she informs me she's looking for a sheer white valance. In fear of sounding ignorant, I had no idea what a valance was. So I started looking around the aisle until I found exactly what she was looking for. I handed her one and she exclaims in a thankful voice "Thank you, dear! I couldn't find these anywhere! Could you hand me another one? I need two." I did so. Exact same box. Same wording. Same merchandise. She then throws it on the ground and asks, "Are you stupid? That's cream colored! Not white! I said white!"
I calmly explained to her that it was the exact same one I just showed her. But she insisted it wasn't and asked me to hand her another. Apparently this one was the same one because she drove off on her little scooter without saying anything else.

After the whole thing was over, one of my ETLs walked over and patted me on the back. Congratulating me for staying calm and patient with her; explaining that that particular guest is quite rude most of the time and everyone deals with her and some point if you work at the store long enough.

GTC to you for not losing it on her! I get regulars like that at my other job and irregulars(?) when I'm cashing.

Every store has one (or in our case a whole building full down the street).
Congrats for handling it so well.

We have a couple of guests from hell. One is a demanding woman who calls from the parking lot to have a scooter brought out to her and if you're not quick enough she calls again and again, she's kind of old and dottery. :senile: The other one is younger, I'd say late 30's early 40's and she's one of those people who are very lonely and just want someone to listen to their problems. She will usually call the pharmacy and tell them that she has this disease or that one, she has been known to keep someone on the phone for an hour. I've had to deal with both and I just smile, a lot, and guest service the hell out of them.

Kudos to you, and a GTC, for keeping your cool. :clapping:

We have this one guy who's also there every night to just walk around the store for exercise. Sometimes he buys something, sometimes he doesn't.
He's probably early sixties or so. One night I was up front as backup at the registers when he comes to my lane buying to small bottles of bleach and nothing else.
I quickly scanned them and put them both in the same bag thinking "they're both bottles of bleach, so I guess it doesn't matter if they're in the same bag."
He suddenly gets really mad and explains he doesn't want bleach on his other bottle of bleach..?
Total WTF moment.
I honestly think some old people go shopping with the mindset that they can be jerks and get away with it because they're old. haha.

We have a couple of guests from hell. One is a demanding woman who calls from the parking lot to have a scooter brought out to her and if you're not quick enough she calls again and again, she's kind of old and dottery. :senile: The other one is younger, I'd say late 30's early 40's and she's one of those people who are very lonely and just want someone to listen to their problems. She will usually call the pharmacy and tell them that she has this disease or that one, she has been known to keep someone on the phone for an hour. I've had to deal with both and I just smile, a lot, and guest service the hell out of them.

Kudos to you, and a GTC, for keeping your cool. :clapping:

As per the news brief posted on workbench today - electric carts are not permitted to leave the building! Just an fyi!

As per the news brief posted on workbench today - electric carts are not permitted to leave the building! Just an fyi!

And shoplifting is illegal, so that's about to stop too... not. The carts are going to make their way out there no matter how hard you try to stop them. Either a sympathetic LOD will send it out, or one of the guests will slip out the door while the GSTL/GSAs are busy running the lanes.

The one time of day today when we had three carts charging, a heifer waddled over & began trying out one after the other.
When she finally chose one, she went off leaving the others pulled out partially blocking the exit until the cart attendant was able to move them back & put them BACK on to charge.
Some people.....

And shoplifting is illegal, so that's about to stop too... not. The carts are going to make their way out there no matter how hard you try to stop them. Either a sympathetic LOD will send it out, or one of the guests will slip out the door while the GSTL/GSAs are busy running the lanes.

At our store we don't let those get out the door. We simply took some of those white alarm stickers (AP calls them Checkpoint Labels) and applied them to the electric carts. Every time you try to take it out the door, the alarm rings and normally grabs a team members attention. We did the same with the walkies, since some would leave with people and never return at our store...... Our cart attendant loves not having to deal with retrieving them.

What can we put on them that will cause a metal gate to come down & block them from taking the cart outside?
You know, aside from a chain or boot?

What can we put on them that will cause a metal gate to come down & block them from taking the cart outside?
You know, aside from a chain or boot?
Does your store have a metal gate over the doors? Mine doesn't..... I'm not exactly sure what your talking about.

Anyway to answer your question, someone could rig a wireless trigger to make a gate come down anytime the alarm went off.

Or just get your backroom guys to huddle and stand in front of them, there not going to get out the door with the cart......

Just curious, how many of you have security guards at your store that's part of the AP department? I didn't know if all Targets had Security Guards or just stores that have a good amount of Thefts each week. My store use to have two. Then the amount of theft fell and one of them was terminated.
Kind of ironic. Terminated for doing your job. :p

I get a bunch of them on the phone that are almost impossible to understand. Tonight had one that could not be convinced that I knew who my store manager was. She finally said put me through to one of the other managers...lol, my LOD (also my ETL) told me that he was putting it in his closing email to our STL to expect a very happy or very pissed guest that he really was the STL.

I get a bunch of them on the phone that are almost impossible to understand. Tonight had one that could not be convinced that I knew who my store manager was. She finally said put me through to one of the other managers...lol, my LOD (also my ETL) told me that he was putting it in his closing email to our STL to expect a very happy or very pissed guest that he really was the STL.
Thats so funny! Similar event too! A guy who said he was my stl on the phone happened when my new stl(a lady) started at my store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back