Archived Calling all Team Members!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my time has come and I've "crossed over to the dark side", I was curious what everyone looks for in an ETL-HL? Been with Target quite awhile, but are there specific traits that an ETL-HL should have?

Congrats! Respect your team, help your tl's with sales planners, communicate well to all related teams, pa, pog, etc.. You should be a good one.

I'm sure you're going to be one of the good ones.
Treating your people like they are grownups deserving of your time and respect makes all the difference in the world.
All too often ETLs use the excuse dreck rolls down hill, don't be that guy.
Try to be the umbrella that keeps as much crap off your people as possible.
I'm always looking for ways to do my job a little better and help other people in any way I can.
If someone wants to make suggestions on how to do that I'm more than happy to listen but it's really important that they know what they're talking about.
Being likable is not nearly as important as being fair.

Mentor your team leads and discuss piplining with them, especially if they want to advance in the company. Give constructive feedback and talk to them, not at them.

Here are a few things that I suggest.
1. Give them what they need to get their job done. They need equipment, they need TMs, they need time off the floor so they can know their business. You can't expect them to tell you about sales, know about an upcoming set specific instruction, to develop their leadership style, to know how to use knowledge of other work centers if you don't provide them what they need.
2. Be realistic. If your team has 100 hours to split among the 2 TLs and TMs, with 50 sales planners, and PTM like ass, while closing 3-4 times a week. Don't expect it completed 100%, and if it is, don't harp on them about some stupid vibe folder or a sticker on a peg.
3. Realize they do more than you know. They are the ones covering breaks, fixing mistakes from other teams, daily tasks, fixing accuracy problems in other areas, etc. and it takes time. That 8 hour shift is much less than that in their own workcenter.
4. Give honest and direct feedback. Don't BS them, if they are great, tell them and tell them what to work on to improve. If they suck, tell them and tell them what to work on to improve.
5. Do not show favoritism. If 1 TL has to close and zone 2 runs, then all of them should. Allowing 1 TL get away with the least amount of work possible while the others bust their ass will quickly cause resentment.
6. Let them lead their team. Don't work a level down, if a TM comes to you with an issue then you need to direct them to their TL.
7. Work with them. You shouldn't do it all the time but when the workload is so heavy they are stressed just trying to get half of it done, don't sit in TSC and text. If you can't do their job then how can you tell evaluate them or judge their performance.

Basically, give them what they need to get the job done, if not then don't ***** about it.

Here are a few things that I suggest.
1. Give them what they need to get their job done. They need equipment, they need TMs, they need time off the floor so they can know their business. You can't expect them to tell you about sales, know about an upcoming set specific instruction, to develop their leadership style, to know how to use knowledge of other work centers if you don't provide them what they need.
2. Be realistic. If your team has 100 hours to split among the 2 TLs and TMs, with 50 sales planners, and PTM like ass, while closing 3-4 times a week. Don't expect it completed 100%, and if it is, don't harp on them about some stupid vibe folder or a sticker on a peg.
3. Realize they do more than you know. They are the ones covering breaks, fixing mistakes from other teams, daily tasks, fixing accuracy problems in other areas, etc. and it takes time. That 8 hour shift is much less than that in their own workcenter.
4. Give honest and direct feedback. Don't BS them, if they are great, tell them and tell them what to work on to improve. If they suck, tell them and tell them what to work on to improve.
5. Do not show favoritism. If 1 TL has to close and zone 2 runs, then all of them should. Allowing 1 TL get away with the least amount of work possible while the others bust their ass will quickly cause resentment.
6. Let them lead their team. Don't work a level down, if a TM comes to you with an issue then you need to direct them to their TL.
7. Work with them. You shouldn't do it all the time but when the workload is so heavy they are stressed just trying to get half of it done, don't sit in TSC and text. If you can't do their job then how can you tell evaluate them or judge their performance.

Basically, give them what they need to get the job done, if not then don't ***** about it.

I disagree with 6 ALOT. I go to my ETLS all the time if I have an issue or question because I hardly ever get to work with my CTL. The ETLS at my store actually encourage this and try to be involved as much as possible in the workcenters. Sure there are some specific things I need to go to my CTL about dont get me wrong, but its not a bad thing to go to ETLS either.

Last edited:
I disagree with 6 ALOT. I go to my ETLS all the time if I have an issue or question because I hardly ever get to work with my CTL. The ETLS at my store actually encourage this and try to be involved as much as possible in the workcenters. Sure there are some specific things I need to go to my CTL about dont get me wrong, but its not a bad thing to go to ETLS either.

If your TL isn't there, then go to your ETL. If it's something personal and only a select few should know, then go to your ETL. If it's work related and your TL is there, then you need to go to them. That's your supervisor. Your ETL's sound like they work a level down. I don't need my ETL making a cleaning tote, telling TM1 what area he's responsible to zone tonight, or picking an endcap for the Coke vendor. I need my ETL talking to buyers to get us extra clear and mesh backpacks for BTS, to come up with developmental activities that help the TL network with other stores, or fight the STL for extra hours for my team.

Do you have any idea how annoying and disrespectful it is when TM's do what you suggested?

If your TL isn't there, then go to your ETL. If it's something personal and only a select few should know, then go to your ETL. If it's work related and your TL is there, then you need to go to them. That's your supervisor. Your ETL's sound like they work a level down. I don't need my ETL making a cleaning tote, telling TM1 what area he's responsible to zone tonight, or picking an endcap for the Coke vendor. I need my ETL talking to buyers to get us extra clear and mesh backpacks for BTS, to come up with developmental activities that help the TL network with other stores, or fight the STL for extra hours for my team.

Do you have any idea how annoying and disrespectful it is when TM's do what you suggested?

If you work in a very low volume store (30ish a year) you would see why I said this. If a TM comes to you about an issue just shrugging them off and giving them the go around isnt a good perception either. The ETLS run the closing at my store. Half the time I dont even think we have a TL working closing so I dont know how a TL can tell someone what they are zoning if they arent there. From reading this board for a while now I can def see how different the cultures are between High Volume and Low Volume stores. When I said they try to be involved as much as possible I should of worded it, they are AVAILABLE and OPEN to helping with whatever they can if needed. Heck even my STL backup cashiers, answers calls or call buttons and helps with freshness friday and is out on the floor a decent ammount.

Last edited:
So my time has come and I've "crossed over to the dark side", I was curious what everyone looks for in an ETL-HL? Been with Target quite awhile, but are there specific traits that an ETL-HL should have?

Remember now that you're corporate, we're still punching the clock. If you cut hours someone has to pick up the slack. We once had an AWESOME ETL over softlines. She got that more than anyone I have seen thus far. When her TL's were drowning in the workload because the STL was hacking hours right and left she got herself down to the floor and jumped in to make sure her department was taken care of. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back