Archived Calling for Authorization on a return.

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxTheDudexx

Front of Store Attendant
Why on God's green Earth can't our company have people on the other end that speak decent, legible, English that I can actually understand!? Jeez oh man I had a hell of a time understanding the woman I got today. It was all garbled, out of order, and I maybe understood about 1 our of every 9 words she said. I'm getting really sick of having to call that number. Frustrates the hell out of me! As you can probably tell! I had to keep asking this woman to repeat and kept telling her I couldn't understand her at all. Sometimes you get some decent ones if you are lucky, but it seems most of the time I have nothing but trouble. Anyone else share this frustration?

There are requirements for being allowed to have certain types of jobs.
For most of the floor jobs, for instance, you have to be able to lift at least 40 pounds.
You have to be able to read, to do basic math, etc.
If your job consists of your answering peoples questions over the phone, the main requirement should be that at least 75% of the people who call clearly understand you.
I'm not even saying everyone, there are some people who are idiots and others who should get their hearing checked but at least 3/4 is a reasonable percentage.
Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure they would fail the test.

It's not too much to ask. I don't feel I'm out of line. I'm really getting fed up with returns. I'm to the point where I dread calling them. They are just so bad at this point it's almost laughable unless your the porr S.O.B. standing behind the service desk.

"the Helpless Desk"......I love it!

I don't even bother calling the helpless desk anymore......I just hope that I can come up with a decent answer for the guest so that I don't have to call them (help desk). If the guest has a reasonable request then I do my best to issue them a $5.00 gift card. While $5.00 isn't all that much, it does help with guest relations!

I have this fear though that someday my management may come to me and ask me why I issue $5.00 cards. My answer will be that it is cheaper, easier, and more productive to give out gift cards than it is to call the help desk. Most days I don't issue cards, but some days it will be three or four of them.

I figure that a happy guest with the $5.00 gift card is much happier than the guest who has to be told that the help desk can't do anything about the problem.

When you call 718 have you ever asked to speak to their supervisor? I do this every now and then when I really want to fight for the guest. The instant they hear the word "supervisor" their voice gets all scared and shaky, it might sound evil but I find that entertaining.

The outcome of course is generally no, but sometimes their supervisor is in Minneapolis. It's shocking whenever you get someone from Minnesota!

Last edited:
It's not too much to ask. I don't feel I'm out of line. I'm really getting fed up with returns. I'm to the point where I dread calling them. They are just so bad at this point it's almost laughable unless your the porr S.O.B. standing behind the service desk.

How often are you calling them? I can't even remember the last time I needed to call.

"the Helpless Desk"......I love it!

I don't even bother calling the helpless desk anymore......I just hope that I can come up with a decent answer for the guest so that I don't have to call them (help desk). If the guest has a reasonable request then I do my best to issue them a $5.00 gift card. While $5.00 isn't all that much, it does help with guest relations!

I have this fear though that someday my management may come to me and ask me why I issue $5.00 cards. My answer will be that it is cheaper, easier, and more productive to give out gift cards than it is to call the help desk. Most days I don't issue cards, but some days it will be three or four of them.

I figure that a happy guest with the $5.00 gift card is much happier than the guest who has to be told that the help desk can't do anything about the problem.

Issuing 5 dollar gift cards? What for??

I just started up front. What would be the circumstances in which you need to call the help desk? So far I haven't needed to call for anything.

I just started up front. What would be the circumstances in which you need to call the help desk? So far I haven't needed to call for anything.

Refund authorization and help desk are two different things.

Refund authorization is for authorizing refunds. When the system has an issue, or the return situation is complicated.

It's even worse if you're in a Super Refund/similar-scan-law state.

There's a reason why some call it the Helpless Desk.

I'm so glad we don't have this in my state... Would probably do nothing but make me want to punch every guest in the face who can't read signs properly... Because you know the LOD would just say "give them their refund" even though we're right, just as a CYA.

Anyone have these laws at their store? I recall a thread about this a while ago, not sure where it went ;)

Issuing 5 dollar gift cards? What for??

1) when there is some kind of a screw-up in the photo lab (happens often).
2)when a guest is returning a bunch of stuff with their gift receipts and an item is no longer in our system (like for a fisher-price toy, baby clothing...or unopened bed sheets).
3) when a guest has a valid complaint about a TM (usually a cashier).
4) when a guest has an item that they've brought up and it turns out that the item is defective and I don't get a response from a TM for help and the guest ends up going to get the item themselves because no one responds.
5) a guest has some sort of issue and needs to see an LOD an it takes 5 -10 minutes for the LOD to get there.

2)when a guest is returning a bunch of stuff with their gift receipts and an item is no longer in our system (like for a fisher-price toy, baby clothing...or unopened bed sheets).
4) when a guest has an item that they've brought up and it turns out that the item is defective and I don't get a response from a TM for help and the guest ends up going to get the item themselves because no one responds.
5) a guest has some sort of issue and needs to see an LOD an it takes 5 -10 minutes for the LOD to get there.

Does your store not hand out the $3 apology coupons for some of those things instead?

Does your store not hand out the $3 apology coupons for some of those things instead?

Three problems with the $3 apology coupons.

1) They are in a locked drawer so you need to get the GSTL or GSA over to open the drawer.
2) We often use the coupons over at Starbucks for issues there.
3) We often don't even have the coupons.

It is so much easier and efficient giving the gift cards to guests. At least the gift cards are always available!

So they are requisitioned gift cards? I am just wondering because my store doesn't do those for guests.

WOWWWW if I were on that team, I'd stop that practice ASAP!

What are you doing? Requisition for giftcards?! Which account are you taking it out of? If you're really doing this, it's a major kick to your accounting numbers. If you just give $5 off just by using the "store coupon" button, you might be hurting your over/under numbers. The $3 apology coupons are collected and identified specifically so they don't affect your $$$.

Do you mean without a gift receipt? If the gift receipt isn't expired the return should work fine even if the item is no longer in the system. When a guest tries to return an item that is no longer active in the system without a valid receipt or receipt look up, we tell basically tell them tough luck at my store. I understand the value of making things right when the circumstances seem to call for that but you sure seem to hand out a lot of giftcards. I think you may be encouraging bad behavior by dishonest guests at your store.

Yeah you should not be handing out giftcards. That's what the apology coupons are for. If they are locked up, then you should be calling the GSTL over. It's at their discretion who gets a coupon and who does not. I understand you trying to make things right for the guest but things like that are supposed to be handled by a TL/Gsa. If you don't have any, they need to be ordered

WOAH. you should never be giving out giftcards for ANY of these reasons.

1. Why is your photo lab having screw ups? Fix the problem there vs giving out anything.
2. if you have a gift receipt and the items are on there then it would work if it's not expired.
3. you should be giving out comment cards or getting a TL or ETL and they can decide if they should get the apology coupons.
4. Call the LOD if no one is responding to get someone to respond.
5. Still not your call to give out a gift card.

If i found out someone on my team was giving out gift cards for any reason they would be coached on the spot and it would be stopped. This isn't appropriate at all.
The reason the apology coupons are locked up is because they are for TL's or ETL's to hand out. Not just anyone is suppose to make that call to hand them out.

WOAH. you should never be giving out giftcards for ANY of these reasons.

1. Why is your photo lab having screw ups? Fix the problem there vs giving out anything.
2. if you have a gift receipt and the items are on there then it would work if it's not expired.
3. you should be giving out comment cards or getting a TL or ETL and they can decide if they should get the apology coupons.
4. Call the LOD if no one is responding to get someone to respond.
5. Still not your call to give out a gift card.

If i found out someone on my team was giving out gift cards for any reason they would be coached on the spot and it would be stopped. This isn't appropriate at all.
The reason the apology coupons are locked up is because they are for TL's or ETL's to hand out. Not just anyone is suppose to make that call to hand them out.

Exactly. TMs shouldn't be handing out gift cards with $$$ on them for any reason... You should at the very least be checking in with your GSA, although to be honest I'm not even that comfortable just floating out $$ giftcards, I'd rather use the apology coupons.

@pelinore: Remember, we're not obligated to return an item without a receipt.. Also if they don't have the proper gift receipt, that is not our liability, but the person who gifted the item. Offer a purchase log lookup instead or no receipt return.

So they are requisitioned gift cards? I am just wondering because my store doesn't do those for guests.

Technically...no they are not requisitioned.

Gift cards are given through playing the system to get the $5.00 card.....the GSTLs and GSAs are aware of this practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back