Archived Calling on a day off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How often do you guys go in on a day off when they call you in?

also, does it look bad not to come in when they call?

Unless I have plans, I go in. I figure if I am going to make remarks about having hours, then I best be taking them when they throw them at me. It also helps to get more hours on the next week's schedule because it's fresh in their mind that I want the hours.

I don't think it makes you look bad if you don't come in..eventually they will probably learn and either stop calling you or put you on the bottom of the list.

I honestly don't get called in very often....but I go in when I can. If I can't go in when they call me I tell them....ie, my kids birthday, in another state.

If you come in it's great, if not they go on to the next name on the list. That's why I don't get called in often...they think of me as only a fitting room operator, I get more hours than most to begin with.

During my last years when hours got short, I would keep a spare set of clothes in my car. If I didn't get a call by 10am-12noon, then I would drive by the store (only minutes from where I lived) to check the swap shirt board and inquire about any extra hours. If nothing comes up, I would go drive into the mountains to go hike.

I was so ticked. Apparently they called me Monday morning (good day shift for my favorite work center). My cell phone didn't ring, and it didn't even tell me I had a voice mail until I made a call later that day, and the shift was nearly over. Clearly by my hours on the two week out schedule, I've been "forgiven" and I did apologize the next day...not that I felt bad, but I really wanted those hours!

I will go in on a 5th day if I'm only scheduled four days that week, but I NEED my two days off for my own sanity. For the past few months I've been FT FR/Op so I rarely have the extra hours to come in anyway unless they want to give me OT.

As a rule, I typically will only go in for non-cashier shifts... I like to be able to move around.

Yeah, the LOD here doesn't always tell us what the shift is for. When we ask, they ask, "does it matter? Do you want the hours or not?" Good grief.

Yeah, the LOD here doesn't always tell us what the shift is for. When we ask, they ask, "does it matter? Do you want the hours or not?" Good grief.

I'd ask. If I were called in, I'd want to know if it was for GSA, Photo, 239, CA, or FA.

They knew not to call me for FA shifts.

I had decided that even though I was a bit short on hrs this week I was not going in even if called. After working a 7 day stretch from Dec 18th thru the 24th with the last 4 days all closings, I felt I needed this. Usually, I would try to go in if possible.

I almost always go in when they call. So far, I've been working a couple of months, and I've been called four times. Out of two of those times, I didn't get the message until too late, but the other two times I went in. Out of those four times, only one request to come in was one that I would have denied, because it was during holiday peak season, and I'd been working six days straight.

One of the CAs at my store calls out constantly so I have ample opportunity for hours. Between that and all the seasonal cashiers/sales floor being let go (me being retained mostly as cashier) I have lots of hours opportunity. I get asked to stay late every day I work. I generally work 6 days a week now (they call me in on one day off) and have worked OT twice already.

I always chat up the ETLs and GSTL and try to know whats going on in the store. One of the sales TLs likes me and said I should pick up some sales shifts this week (Normally a CA/Cashier). +15 hrs and training in 2 new areas means I will be able to work all over the place. I have heard management express disappointment when people don't want to stay late or work extra shifts.

Some people don't make Target their career. Perfectly understandable if they don't want to work extra shifts/stay late. As long as they show up for their scheduled shifts and do their job I don't think Management should really frown upon them; if Management wants you there, they should schedule you.

But yeah there is some ample opportunity for hours if you are global enough.

I find it difficult to say no when called. I really do need the money, and it is normally a matter of just having to adjust a few things.

Like today I just got called - I did take the shift and not the extra hours she was offering. That was going to be hard on me physically AND on my kids. I really need to stay near the top of the call in list - so I go if possible. I had to rearrange a couple of things this week for my regular hours due to a co-worker having to go out of town unexpectedly. That is going to be rough because while I'm working more hours - I won't see the money because I have to pay my "kid transporters" for their gas. Just because I get 30mpg in town I know they don't.... and I'm asking them to wait for a couple of hours with the kids.

Anyway... it is going to be a crazy week. ACK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back