Archived calling out dec 21st monday

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello think i would get in trouble if i called out dec 21st monday from a closing cart shift? the reason being is my dog of 11 yrs passed away on the 7th of dec and the new puppy were getting is being flown in from out of state and i have to be at the airport to pick him up around 5:30 and my shift starts at 6:30 and with the distance from me to the airport plus traffic and i won't be able to leave the puppy alone that night until my dad gets home at 8-9 pm, and i have asked everyone that can close carts and none has been available. any advice would be welcomed here especially since i had to leave early the monday my dog passed and had called out that following weds

I can tell you that the question going through their head is going to be "why didn't you coordinate the new puppy to come in on your day off." Depending on your attendance history you could be looking at a CA. Have you had any recent absences other than the Wednesday and this upcoming day, if you have then that would be 3 and could be grounds for a CA.

I remember calling off because we had to put my 18 year old best friend to sleep and the only time the Vet could make it to our house. After numerous visits to the Vet. (Which every single time my little buddy howled (In a very weird, weird way, like he was trying to say something) like he knew his time was coming. :(. We decided there was no way in hell we were going to listen to that when we had it "done". And the only time the vet could do it at our house was when I was at work.

As a PA it is INSANELY hard to find someone to pick up your shift (especially if it is an order day, but I could have gave two shits at that moment). I told them there was no way I was coming in that day and missing my dogs last moments as I would only be a sobby sloppy mess on the Sales Floor.

They understood and I got to hold his Paw into the afterlife. (bout to cry)

Can the other CA extend their shift, even if only an hour or 2? And then you go in when your Dad gets home? Won't fully cover that time period, but at least show you're trying to be responsible.

Also, did you put it in the swap book? Sometimes a cashier would pick them up at my store just to get away from the registers. If you aren't there, the GSTL will just send a cashier out for carts anyway.

Anytime anyone calls out they can get in trouble for it. Whether you actually will or not depends on your management. But I'll tell you one thing, you co-workers will definitely not be happy to be left a man down, especially so close to Christmas. If you can't avoid calling out, don't worry about it too much, but exhaust every other option first ;)

Have you put it on the swap shift board yet? Have you talked to your ETL about maybe coming in late?

You could try asking another CA who is not working if they can cover for you. Try the swap board, or try asking around on the front end team to see if anyone is willing to cover for you, just make sure you are willing to help them out with a shift if they need it! If you have no other option by Monday afternoon than call out but at least give the store a 2 hour notice so they can find someone or move people around, sorry about your dog by the way!

i have put my shift on the swap shift board and have asked everyone but one person which i will be asking tonight, also we tried to get it on a nother day but we want the new puppy for xmas and if we cant do it the 21st then wwe would have to wait until the monday after xmas. they also have another cart attendant there until 8pm that day

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your dog and congrats on the new puppy. I wish I had called out when one of my dogs passed away this past Aug. I went to work but found myself on the verge of tears all day .If you need to call out ...call out. I would just tell them you are had something come up or you are not feeling well. If you tell them about having to pick the puppy up they may try to give you grief.

My question is, why did the op get a new puppy so quick? I lost my kitty unexpectedly after 10 years. I would take time to get over the sadness.

I seem to remember an article about overflowing shelters in some cities in which animals' profiles were posted online & adopted as far as several states away.

I remember calling off because we had to put my 18 year old best friend to sleep and the only time the Vet could make it to our house. After numerous visits to the Vet. (Which every single time my little buddy howled (In a very weird, weird way, like he was trying to say something) like he knew his time was coming. :(. We decided there was no way in hell we were going to listen to that when we had it "done". And the only time the vet could do it at our house was when I was at work.

As a PA it is INSANELY hard to find someone to pick up your shift (especially if it is an order day, but I could have gave two shits at that moment). I told them there was no way I was coming in that day and missing my dogs last moments as I would only be a sobby sloppy mess on the Sales Floor.

They understood and I got to hold his Paw into the afterlife. (bout to cry)
We had to do the same for our 18 yr old dog. . We still say goodnight to her every night when we say good night to her sister Patty. Very sorry for anyone who has lost a beloved friend.
Have fun with new puppy. Target will survive. The reason we work is for our families.
And remember, all dogs go to heaven!

well found someone to cover my shift and reason we did is we wanted a specific breed/color and gender which we didnt find in my state at all also the one we found looks almost just like the one we just lost when he was a puppy. dog in question is a miniature apricot poodle male. me and my dad are allergic to most dogs

well found someone to cover my shift and reason we did is we wanted a specific breed/color and gender which we didnt find in my state at all also the one we found looks almost just like the one we just lost when he was a puppy. dog in question is a miniature apricot poodle male. me and my dad are allergic to most dogs
So sorry about your dog Shady. And welcome to your new puppy.
If I heard that story, I woulda covered for ya.
I wish you much happiness with your new baby.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back